Sunday 28 April 2013

First Post Marathon Run!

Hello blog Lovers.

What a beautiful morning it was! My running club were having the members 10k race. I, however, was on catering duty, in charge of cake cutting and safeguarding the hotwater boiler from little people!  And, it's only just now that I was glad I didn't actually run it! (Apart from the fact that I loved being at the end of the race as the first runner came in!) 

All groups took part, and we even had a 'get me round' group to help get people around that have never done a 10k before, or there is always the 'bus' for those who want to do it in a certain time! It's all great fun.  And to see Johnny come in, running silently through, and then around the green followed by his pursuer was just brilliant!

 I was quite missing my running after watching them all come in and after thinking about what the other PWR's marathoners had done about getting back to their running, I thought I would try and get out for a short run at some point today. 3 miles or so I had in mind.

I deliberately chose the route through to Turpington Lane as it has quite a few 'short cuts' that I could chose from if things were not quite ready to get moving!  So with that in mind I got changed into my running gear and started my Garmin looking for satellites, lets see if this Old Girl can still run!

The weather had cooled at lot since this morning so I donned long running pants and a short sleeved top, then I was ready to go.  Straight out of the door, no hanging about, and start running.  Straight away I felt my ankles complaining. If ankles could talk I'm sure they would say "Hey, whats going on, haven't you had enough" and the tops of my legs, in the groin, well, that was complaining even more! And I had still to get to Faringdon!

I carried on running, just ignoring the little aches and pains, I am presuming this is quite normal after a long run. I know some people have taken even longer to go on a run, and I know that some others have gone out and run a 3 or 4 miler just after a couple of days! I guess it's just a case of 'get out there and see'. My breathing settled down quite nicely, but the little aches and pains were still there, then my knees decided to join in with the complaining.  "Ok, that's it" I thought to myself, "I am a woose when it comes to pain and discomfort, so I shall just do a very short recovery run today"

I was compromising with my body! I was saying to my self, "Ok, so if I cut the run short, 'you' limbs promise not to hurt anymore than you do right now" Which at the moment, on the scale of 1 - 10, is about 1, (1 being a slightly annoying 'trapped wind' type ache and 10 being, ouch, call the medics, give me morphine now!) But I also thought "If I do go home early then there is no stopping, what so ever!" So the shorter route it was.

I was glad I chose that route! If I had gone with my heart and not my head, I would have gone through the  Jubilee park and the woods! But running  to the Harvesters and then turning left to go through my local park was the most sensible thing to do.

Even so, I was thinking to myself that I could always extend it a little further, if I felt like it, once I get to the other side of the park. Knowing me, though, I knew that wasn't going to happen. 'Keep my running/cycling fun' that's my motto. I don't want it to become a chore, I don't want to ever lose the love of running and cycling. So far both activities have been good for me! Very occasionally I chuck in a challenge, this year it was a marathon........and earlier in the year, a half marathon! But that's by the by. It has all been kept, as fun! (apart from my new found animosity towards the A21) Which is the way it should be.

So, my run today is 1.76 miles,







No comments:

Post a Comment