Tuesday 20 August 2013

Club Run and Last Beginners Group!


Hello blog lovers.



Today is the last week for the beginners group.  Eight weeks have passed since a group of 25 - 30 people first met up in the rec, thinking to themselves, "I don't know if I can do this" Today there is only 6 left.  6 very dedicated people who want to carry on and do more running, get fitter and healthier.


We lost some people because of life getting in the way, some felt they just couldn't cope with it, holidays took a few more from us, and I think one had to pull out last week with a calf issue.  These six that were left were looking a bit worried about the 20 minutes of nonstop jogging, with a two minute break, and then a 10 minute jog. 


But we knew they could do it. PhysioMike, Hitchy, Peter and me, all knew they could do it, at their pace! There was no pressure to run fast.  Our route today was a straight out and back.  Run for a full 20 minutes, in just once direction, taking us through the park.  We were to run heading away from the rec, for 15 minutes then turn around and head back, still running, for another 5 minutes. Then we were going to take our first walk. For 2 minutes, walking back the way we had just come.  It will be a time to reflect on what they have achieved so far!


They all did so very well, the two minute jog was well appreciated by my group.  I could hear them all talking about the fact they didn’t believe they could do that, “I couldn’t even run for 1 minute without getting out of breath, only 8 weeks ago” said one lady!  I think she was very proud of herself.  And so she should be!

 

Going back over the bridge we saw the same lady as the first time, with her dog.  Her dog had a great time trainspotting!  She had three trains to ‘chase’ as she barked at one, then the other and then raced back to bark at the other one. 

 

The next time we see the beginners will be on Saturday,

 

Here are the geeky stats.

 

After it was time for group runs.  There were quite a few leaders away for their annual holidays, and there were quite a few groups with new leaders, some that only found out just as the announcements were going on, that they were leading a group!  But it all worked out well!

 

The weather was quite warm this evening.  I didn’t bring any water with me, but I felt sure I would cope ok.  Sarah was leading group 1 today. And we were staying on the roads today.  The nights seem to draw in now, and it was quite dark by the time we got back to the rec.  There were a couple of the group that wanted to go back to the rec early, and not do the last bit up Birchwood road,  we came straight to crossways as one of the ladies was having terrible time with her hamstrings! 

 

But we still ran for 3 miles.  That’s nothing to be sniffed at, probably just as well, as I am sweating now!  A great run though, I do love my club runs.

 

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment