Tuesday 13 August 2013

New Season Beginning!

Hello blog lovers.

I know we are in the middle of the summer season, but now that I have had my summer holiday, I need to get back to keeping fit and staying fit! Losing weight is a big part of my plans maybe that will help me run a tad faster, and not to get so tired through my runs.

It's back to normal though with the beginners group.  Holiday season has effect numbers here too, with only 7 beginners and three PWR leaders.  Even PhysioMike was opting out today, some family and friends time for him, down at the Local Raj Doot! Who by the way supply some yummy samosas at our Clubs annual 10k Run, which this year is on October 13th. My dear readers, I suggest you all jump in there and come along, its a great atmosphere, a fantastic race, and brilliant bit of bling to add to your collections! Not only that but there is usually always some yummy stuff in the goody bags as well :-) (Shameless plug there, but I am rather proud of my running club! 

So today, I did a couple of warm up drills while we waited for a couple of others and for the ladies using the loo. Then we made up three groups, the faster two people were going with David and the Peter was taking Nagging Sister and my niece JLo.  I took the other three. We started our walk (in the rain!)  for the first 2 minutes and then we started the running. The schedule today was 2 mins walk 10 mins run x 3.

The first two groups were already in the stride my group started out slowly. Sonn my group started to split, with two of my ladies getting head and one lady slowly bringing up the rear. I was running between my now two groups.  I didn't want to slow the two ladies in front of me down too much but neither did I want to nag the other lady to run faster, to put pressure on her. So I tried my best nipping between my 2 groups!  Talk about a work out!

At the other side of the walking bridge I ran up to the front ladies and told them to run straight up until the come across Crossways again, and then to run down there, I was going back to my other lady and take her the shorter way and maybe a loop around the rec when we get there. 

So there I was, two groups, one group with out a leader, but on of them did know the way, and the other lady, plodding along, she hasn't stopped the running bit at all, she has been steadily just plodding away!  I tried to encourage her to pick the speed up a tad.  We had a race with a 'walker' "Lets get passed him, lets buzz him" I said to encourage her. She just smiled but she went with it and picked up the pace just a tad to over take the man.  After that I used the very tried and tested method of counting lampposts.

We were first to arrive in the par and began our loop around to finish off the last 10 min run.  As we were getting to the other entrance I saw Nagging sister and JLo come in with Peter behind them.  So I said to my lady to continue running around the rec with the others while I go see where the rest of my group was.  I just got to the top off Crossways they were just arriving at the same time.  Perfect. I ran back with them to the rec and we continued to run around the rec to finish the remainder of the 10 mins. 

We waited for a few minutes for the faster group to get back to the rec, and David had lost one.  One of his group had a pain in his calf, so David said it would be best to stop running and heal up his calf first.  I finished off with the usual group cool down stretches.  A great session, and I was well and truly warmed up for my group 1 run.

Geeky stats  I couldn't wait for the satellites to find us, but pushed the start button, so there is a bit of the route missing.




Group 1 Run

Our usual running leaders are either away on holiday or suffering with an injury, so Sue will be taking todays lead role, I will deffo be in the sweeper position!  It was good seeing all the girls again. And to hear they are all still keeping up with the park runs.  Our Kay though has to take a backseat from running for a while, but it was so nice to hear that two of the group one ladies go out walking 5 miles each week with her to keep up her fitness, and also Kay has volunteered at park run as well.  Now that is the sort of commitment and friendship and camaraderie that we have at Pettswood Runners (that's why, readers, you should enter our Pettswood 10k, its been voted one of the best in the country!

Our route today was going through 'Dog Poo' ally and then turning left to and following the railway lines. We were going to go up to Botony bay.  I didn't think my legs would keep on running up hill, but I was determined to try.  I failed! I beat my self up about it, and I hid it behind a joke when I got to the top. "All up" I said to Sue.

There was still more of the 'incline' as Sue called it, she was trying to disguise the hill.  But we all know its a hill.  I think there was probably one person in our group who maybe hadn't been this way before!  I was glad I was not the only person doing some walking today.  It was tough going! I was hoping the rain that had come down earlier would make a reappearance!  I was sweating buckets! 

After Botony Bay we headed towards Scadbury park.  The nights seem to be drawing in, and it doesn't feel as if we have hardly done any running through the woods.  This last bit of woods the light was fading and I was really having to concentrate on the ground.  I think maybe next week I will bring along a torch!  We then ran along Chislehurst road and passed Birchwood. Normally we would run down here at whatever pace we wanted to, but Sue was taking us down the next turning, and we will be enjoying a very enjoyable run down Woodrise.  In fact JJ really enjoyed herself and had her hands up yelling "Weeeeeee heeeeeeeeee" as she ran down.  Now that's the way to enjoy your running!

Into the rec, collapse and then do the warm down stretches!  A good run. And one of the things that we talk about when we run is "Why does it never get any easier" and "We all moan about how hard it is while we are running"  But there is also one thing we have in common, and is that we all keep coming back for more, we all do runs during the week, park runs, races, solo running! It may never get any easier, but we will never give it up!

Geeky stats

 

No comments:

Post a Comment