Wednesday 7 August 2013

Post Holiday Run!

This is me with Assos in the background
Hello blog lovers!

What a fantastic holiday I have had, sun sea and ouzo! I was on the beautiful island of Cephalonia, one of the Greek islands in the Ionian Sea!  Stunning scenery, fabulous people and delicious food!  And so very, very hot. I was kind of glad I didn't take my running stuff with me, I just wouldn't have made it to the first kilometre! The heat just turned me and the Old Boy into sloth like creatures.  In fact the only bit of exercise we did was a bit of bobbing around in the sea, to cool down!

So my first run was really going to be a test to see how much 'damage' I have done to my 'temple' of a body!  And  the way I am feeling at the moment, my temple is a huge metropolis of a place! But I was still itching to get out, (and I really do mean itching, the mozzies had a feast on my legs, I look like Mrs. Blobby!)  As soon as the kids had been picked up by their mums, I tidied away, and got myself ready for my first run since coming home.  I made sure I had enough juice in my Garmin and on my phone, as I wanted to some tunes to run to, and then I was out the door.

Satellites were found while I was faffing about with shoes and hair ties, so I started running as soon as I was out of the door.  A huge smile came across my face as I ran towards the road, ready to turn left to run up it.  Yes! It felt great to be out running again! Just one week off running and I now I am smiling as I run along. 

But I knew all too well, that this smile will turn into a grimace later on.  I am keeping it to a short run, but I am going to try as hard as I can to get around it as quick as I can.  I know.....that's not like me at all, but sometimes after a little rest you feel you can do miraculous things (or is that just me?) 

I need to keep the hill theme going (I should really have tried running in Cephalonia, talk about hills!) so my route was going up the short hill near me, and then I was heading through Pettswood and under the railway bridge to run past the pub.  When I got to about Shepperton Road, I noticed that my 'bat wing' arms were started to feel a bit sore, a bit of chaffing going on there.  I was wondering if it was my top that was causing it.  I had one of my old tops on, sleeveless, well, I have to show off my tan!  Either it was that, or I really did over indulge while on holiday, and my arms have grown to epic probortions!

I had noticed my 'budha belly' too!  Somewhat particularly noticeable in my skintight jog pants and top!  I must have looked a right sight running along, especially with an inane smile on my face! But I was still smiling! Every time I thought about what I was doing then the smile came over my face! I love running, I love keeping fit! I love the feeling I get after I finished running or cycling! There is nothing like it! No amount of alcohol or food or indeed chocolate can give you that feeling!

The chaffing arms (sounds like a good name for a pub for runners!) got me a bit distracted at times, I tried all sorts of ways to try and overcome it, keeping my arms against my body, running with my arms out wider, blanking out the soreness! Nothing worked!  Maybe I will have to keep to short sleeves for a while, just until I am back to pre-holiday weight and fitness! And then some!  I have realised that I need to sort my weight issues out. Diet! Something that I dread doing, but I feel it has become necessary!

But.....Yes!..... I am back to running. And loving it!  Oh and by the way I have a race booked for this Sunday! A 5 miler at silly o'clock in the morning at Staplehurst!  Oh the joys of a an Old Girl Athlete!

Geeky stats for you......and ok.....not speedy, but for my bloated body, I think I pushed it around pretty quick! (smiley face) :-)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment