Saturday 7 September 2013

Parklife!

Hello blog lovers

Hasn't it come around quick!? Already another Saturday, and another Park Run.  But today I don't think there will be any PB's from me.  I was just not 'feeling it' today.  I expect the 2 and half pints of lager and Chinese dinner late last night helped with that today!  But also, I thought I would try the eating of the breakfast an hour earlier idea.  I hear people say that they have a bowl of porridge or cereal or even bananas (or all of the mentioned), but I think I have decided, I can't do the 'eat and run'  I don't do it when I go on club runs, I wait till I get home, so that is how it is going to have to be on my park runs.

I arrived at Normans park with just minutes to spare, why do I always do that!? and so had a fast walk and jog to the other end. There, emerging from the crowds of runners came Nagging Sister. "I'm so glad you're here today, I don't want to run on my own" she said.  She looked totally relaxed though, more than I did, already a bit sweaty, but at least I'm warmed up.

The weather was just like yesterday, raining! Fortunately not too bad, in fact for the first lap it had eased off, the black clouds were just hanging there, taunting us with what is hiding inside its dark fluffiness.  After all the pre-lims done we started running, of course we started running out too fast, and I could hear N.S. say "Whats with the rush?" I kept up the pace though, just for a little bit, but then we slowed it down a bit. 

The first time around the river, and I was feeling my breakfast getting a good shaking up! Not good! It deffinitly doesn't do me to run on a full tummy, I just cant do it.  Mental note to self: No eating on short runs, it's not necessessary for you Old Girl!.

N.S. was also finding it a bit tough, and we had our first walking section just near the 1 mile mark.  Well, if we keep that sort of pace going there is a good chance that we can do a good run here. But between me and N.S. we had walking spells and faster spells of running.  On the last long straight, about half a mile to do the rain started coming down again, and this time it didn't stop.  Just gentle at first, keeping us nicely cooled down. 

From this last long straight, we decided that we were not going to be walking anymore, running all the way, even if its a slow jog, there will be no more running.  We kept it going.  The last two corners done and the tunnel was in sight.  A cheer from Spider gave us a little boost, and N.S. said "Come on the Old Girl, lets go for it" So we both put on a bit of speed, getting faster as that tunnel came closer.  N.S. and I was neck and neck until I started to pull in front of her, and stayed there. 



I remember only last year she was always well ahead of me! I was feeling quite fast then! In through the tunnel and switch off Garmin!

Geeky stats, no official email yet, but I know its not a PB, not with my Garmin showing 36 something!

Photo courtesy of Brian Page

No comments:

Post a Comment