Sunday 27 October 2013

Learning to Lead

Hello blog lovers.

Leadership in Running Fitness, that is where I have been today! I am on a one day training course to learn how to take out a group of willing runners who want to get fit.  And it really has boosted my confidence, just to know that I have been doing the right thing, and also to know that there is a lot I can do to improve which is why courses are available!!

Being in a 'class room' environment is never my favourite thing to be doing! Especially early on a Sunday morning, with an imminent storm threatening to put a huge dampener on things, and then to blow everything to the four corners of the earth!  I was a tad nervous and anxious, but totally prepared. Pen, paper, packed lunch, money for snacks, change for a coffee machine (if there is one) even a change of clothes for later (I have a family celebration happening later in the day)

It started off with the usual 'Getting to know each other' type of thing.  Writing on 'post it notes' of why you want to become a leader, sticking on to a board and then sitting down. Then we had to choose a post it note, and then go and find the person who wrote it! Of course that got everyone chatting, and we had to find out one interesting fact about that person.

It was all a good icebreaker!  We also learnt the importance of warm ups and warm downs. How to keep a session fresh and fun! And how to be all inclusive!  It really did instill a lot of confidence in myself!  although I had been doing most of the things that was discussed today, it also showed me tons of things that I can improve on.  Things that I can do differently, and things that I can include to help the two groups that I help out on to improve their fitness and stamina.

If you can get onto a leadership course or a coaching course then I would advise it! The confidence it has given me is well worth the time and effort, (during the session we had to do no less than four mini sessions, including warm up/down and main session!)  Now just to send off all the paper work and then I will be

Moosh 007 - licensed to lead!





 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent News Donna, I can't wait to be in one of your groups :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jez, I don't think anyone could lead you ;-) You have too much of a free spirit :-)

      Delete