Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Hare and the Foxy Ladies!

Hello blog lovers.

It's Tuesday, and the graduates from the beginners class have obviously forgiven me for the hill reps we did last week, as here they are, back for some more hard work and total nagging from me.

I thought I would set them a goal this evening, an achievable goal, and that is to get a PB on the route that we have been doing for our training.  It's only 2 and a quarter miles, but there is some delightful undulations, at the beginning of the run.  I felt that that would be a good time to really use all of the nagging skills that Nagging Sister taught me just a few short years ago!

In todays run there was Lorraine, Tracy and Nagging Sister.  As N.S. is a faster paced runner I said that she will be the 'Hare' and Lorraine and Tracy will be the foxes after her. Foxy ladies, that's what we are aiming for, 'Fit Foxy Ladies'! And the harder we work, the foxier we will be, 'Fit, fast and foxy' It's achievable!

We all started off, and N.S. was in the front setting a pace. I looked at my Garmin, we were all just about at the right pace, but we need to stay that way, all the way round, and we hadn't got the hill yet! "Come on foxy ladies, there's your dinner getting away from you, go chase that hare" I said to them, to try and get them in the zone! They did well to keep the pace.  The hill did take it out of them, but they were soon back on form when then reached the flatter ground.

The 'Hare' aka Nagging Sister kept teasing them, she ran out of sight and then ran back again. "Come on girls, are you going to let her tease you like that, that's your dinner, you're the foxes, come on, catch her" I encouraged all the way round.  I was so impressed with them, they kept going.  Tracy had a very determined look on her face, either that or she was just glaring at me the way I used to glare at Nagging Sister.

Either way, it's a good look! It means there is determination there, it means she is working really hard, it means "I am here and I am a runner"  Lorraine had the same look as she pounded up the hill. And when I nagged some more, there was also a smile too! Or maybe that was a 'You just wait till I get my hands on you" type of grimace!

All through the high street I kept up my motivational nagging! And we even had a nice little walking break! I am not completely cruel! That will come later......ha ha ha ha  (*evil laugh*). From the 'Daylight Inn' we had just about 7 minutes to get back to the rec to be able to achieve our goal today.

I urged them both on, Nagging Sister urged them both on, N.S. ran along side Tracy and kept her going, I ran along with Lorraine encouraging her to use that last bit of energy that everyone always saves 'just in case' but we were nearly at the end of our run, no need to energy to save now, it's time to use that last bit to get to the end.

Well, what can I say! Looking at the last geeky stats for this particular course and today I should say that it worked! I shall put both up for viewing, and you can see just how well they have done!


Group 1

SingstarJo was leading today, and as she was feeling a little fatigued, she decided that a nice flat route would be the order of the day.  SingstarJo had competed in the KFL cross country race just this past Sunday, so she was taking it easy on us, because we needed to go easy on her!  But I think she must have a mental block when it comes to hills.  In my case, I know where every hill is, I know every little incline that the leaders have dragged my backside up and down! But dear SingstarJo blots them out.

After running down 'Cardiac Hill' of course there is a run to get back up the other side. But we all kept together.  Our first 're-grouping' was at the 'off license' well over a mile after we first set off.  There we a couple of cries, from the ranks, of  "When are we stopping?" but when I pointed out that we hadn't yet ran a mile, there was a sharp gasp and a 'Oh really?"  But still, we all kept up. S.J. must be in the zone, as there was no evidence of the tiredness and aching muscles that she spoke of earlier.  Us runners, ......we are made of great stuff!

After that it was a run towards my home, if only I hadn't bought my car with me, I could have made my excuses and jogged off home!  But I continued 'UP' the hill! Yes that's right, we had still not finished with the hills on this 'flat' route!  I dropped back a bit and even ran along with Illustrious Leader who was in sweeper mode today.

We had another regroup at the top of the road, the 'triangle' at Southborough Lane, but others even managed to loop the triangle while they waited for us, the back markers, to get there!  On wards and upwards, well there was a slight incline, but we were mainly at the top of this particular hill! We ran through the carpark near the Newsshopper and had another little regroup there just so that S.J. could tell us which way we were going, and for her to say  "For those who want to go faster, you can do".  Also on the other corner of this road, was Group 2!  They were going to be heading in the same direction as us, "Oh Look!" said a rather familiar booming voice from the back of the waiting pack "There's another group, lets go and join them!" It was Mr.S. he was running with Group 2 today, and they were also having their last regroup before the last push home.

We all merged together forming one long, big running pack, not quite as big as the Pettswood 10k was 2 weeks ago, but we still made a formidable sight!  All, pinks and yellows brightening any ones evening, running along and chatting away!

I really had a great run today! Even with those hills!  I even nagged myself to keep going, after all, if I am nagging Lorraine and Tracy then I must certainly be seen to be pushing myself just as hard!

Geeky stats


No comments:

Post a Comment