Saturday 30 November 2013

A Hairy Weekend! - Part 1

Hello blog lovers.

How's your prostate?.......I know, its not the sort of question one normally asks is it. How are you, how do you, alright mate? is the usual greeting of the day. Which usually results in the response of "I am fine thank you, and you?" Which sometimes isn't true, you may have a sore knee, leg, back, head or indeed there could be things not seen, you're feeling down or worse, things could be happening to your body that you don't know about or even probably don't even think about.  Todays Park run at Bromley, Normans Park, was a Movember run.  It's to raise awareness of prostrate problems and mens health in general. Now isn't a much better way of getting you blokes to think of your selves, no award question and answering session.  Anything that you feel is not quite right then get it checked! And it's also the first Movember park run I have done! And of course I kept to the spirit of the event, along with Della and Nagging Sister and almost all participants of Park run today!
The three musketeers?!

So you can image the start line for todays park, the whole line up is one big hairy lipped, curly permed wig wearing runners you could ever see!  From the chaps, some of whom even grew their moustaches, to the ladies and children sporting various shaped stick on versions.  I even saw a dog with the stick on variety, I tried to get a picture of him/her but he ran off in the other direction!
The line up.


Even spectators got involved.
We were soon off on our hairy park run.  I must say, I wasn't looking forward to peeling off my moustache after, nor, in fact, thinking about the state it was going to be in at the end! Ewww, no, best not to think about that.

I was running along with nagging sister, for just about the first.....10 feet, before she took off!  Each week she has been getting faster and faster! I seem to be  heading in the opposite direction!  I know this run will also go on the wrong side of my fastest time!  It was my birthday week, so with cakes, chocolates, lunches, drinkies, champagne and theatres and burgers, I feel just walking around todays run and finishing is a miracle! There, a new excuse for the Mighty Moosh excuse book!

This was again, a technology free run, my Garmin was dead, I had forgotten to charge it.  So there is not going to be any pacing for me, I wont know if I am going to fast at the beginning, or too slow.  I couldn't even see anyone that I knew who runs faster or slower than me to gauge my running.  But what with this being a timed run, it didn't matter.  The geeky stats will arrive at some point today, and I will know then if I am any good at judging the whole pacing thing without techno gizmos!

The ground was getting better, with not so much wet muddy stuff around, and although it was chilly, I knew that running along I was going to warm up. I did see someone that runs in group 1, but she was doing her thing so I said hello to her and passed on by.  At least now I know that there was at least 1 person behind me that is my pace timekeeper, even though she doesn't realise it! 

I wasn't pushing my self this park run "Do you ever?" I can hear you all crying out, as I really thought I didn't have it to give, I was feeling very heavy, very bloated with way too much celebrating for a birthday, so the idea was to just keep going for as long as I could, with the occasional push for speed if I felt like it.

Well the long and short of it is that I had  a great time out there, I even managed to keep on the 'tash, even though it was just starting to peel off at the ends.  It felt like a slow run, and I felt really as if I could have put a bit more effort in, but hey, I'm out here, running, with full tummy and post birthday week celebratory head, sporting a stick on 'tash, so chaps, you now have been made aware of this, go check out the bits that you can check out (as if none of you ever do that anyway!) or if there is something worrying you else where, go see the doc, they don't bite, or won't think you're being daft!


Me nearing the end, complete with soggy moustache!
Last picture courtesy of Brian Page, edition of So Lets Go Running magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment