Wednesday 18 December 2013

Club Run - Sweeerrrve!

Hello blog lovers.

YESTERDAY, was club run, and it was the last club run of 2013!  That can only mean one thing, and also explain why my blog is late!  It was pre-Christmas drinks at the wine bar!  We were also handing over a check to St Christophers Hospice, Bromley which is the profits from our October 10k, club event.  The amount was £4,000! Now that is worth celebrating!

My lovely sister aka Nagging Sister, aka Bims picked me up and we went to the rec with just a very light sprinkle of rain marring the evening.  The rain didn't stay around too long, but it left the roads wet and the leaves slippery. We met up with the other members who were running, all though this time of year many seem to have chosen to do some last minute Christmas shopping.

The route that Illustrious Leader had chosen was a well known one, with just a smidge of a hill to think about, but I knew that I would be really lagging behind as I hadn't been out running since last Tuesdays club run.  I'm afraid the baby germs had brought me down!  So with just the remnants of the cold left, an annoying cough, and a bloated carcass (due to chocolate medicine) to heave around todays 3 and half mile(ish) route, just keeping up with the group today will be a miracle.

Running at this time of year is always a pleasure.  Just seeing all the coloured lights flashing around peoples houses, the Santa and reindeer statures in various posed positions on the rooftops, porches and gardens always bring a smile to my face.  And thoughts of my own childhood Christmases come to mind.  Although, back in those days, the only lights that we saw on the houses were around the inside of the windows!  I think us Brits got 'light envy' when we saw what our American cousins do to their houses over the Christmas period!  But I do like it that still call it Christmas!  After all you can't leave Christ out of Christmas, can you!  Just love this time of the year! And it's not 'just for the kids'  How it saddens me to hear that.  I find it a great opportunity to spread His Word! 

And who don't get emotional at watching kids/grandkids in the schools nativity.  All the singing, shuffling, waving, costume pulling, nose picking, line forgetting, hours worth of sheer joy.  Who puffs up with pride when their child comes home and says that he is 'Joseph or Mary' in the play.  Or runs up the best angle/shepherd/kings costume in the land for their child! And who starts to remember what Christmas is really all about!

So now you know why I like running this time of year!  I really wanted to be on our last club run of the year too, and I think I would have gone out even if I felt as bad as I did on Wednesday and Thursday!  Each day I run I feel it's a gift! And I embrace it, whether its a good run or bad run!

Yesterdays run was really good!  I know if I had been 100% fit I feel as if I would have been up at the front.  Darn this cold! Darn all the sputum taking up residence in my lungs!  I am afraid I had to be very unladylike on several occasions (a great reason to run at the back!)

We were on the last road heading back to the rec.  Now as I have said earlier, we were having pre-Christmas drinks after, and the wine bar that we use is nearer to us than the club HQ! So me, J.J. and Jan actually asked, very nicely, and probably very whiny, Illustrious Leader if we could by pass the whole going back to the ground and heading straight for the pub!  We were given permission!

We were not the first of the PWR's to get there either, as group 7(I think ?) were there just a few seconds before us, they also had chosen a route that would have them arriving at the bar at the end of their run!

Here is the geeky stats. 

Merry Christmas every one, and a very happy new year to you all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment