Sunday 29 December 2013

Festive 5k - Ish

Hello blog lovers!

Today was my first ever attempt at an organised(ish) run. It was a to be a conversational and social type of run. Meaning........my pace and including a couple of pubs.  But I didn't leave the faster runners out.  If they were coming then they were to meet us (after the start at Willet Way) in the first pub stop at the Tigers Head in Chislehurst.

As it happened, for a very quickly organised run there were actually 3 or us running.   I knew it was going to be a very social occasion indeed, so I ran from my house to the meeting place, which is the our club house starting point of Willet Way.

There to meet me (and should I say before me, but there is reasons for that), is Orla and Sherry.  Not bad for a short notice run it think, especially at Group 1 pace. I did give the option of the faster runners to 'amend' the Group 1 course to suit, so that we all arrived at the first 'Social' stop at the Tigers, and then all too meet at Daylight after. (Daylight read 'The Daylight Inn', as I said its a very social run).

But first off I had to get there, to Willet Way rec, the start point of our Festive five K. Not sure how many miles that is but I think its under two at least! I was so pleased to see the two ladies waiting for me at the park.  I had forgotten to check Face Book make sure that there were people turning up, I think I would have looked quite sad turning up at the pubs by myself! We didn't hang about long before we started our run.

The only downfall of todays run....my Garmin was dead! Not only that by Sherrys Garmin was out of sorts, but she did have her hubbys one! At least we will get to know the pace that we.....or at least Sherry did, as she did several little loops. 

Our route was straight up Birchwood and the turn left towards Chislehurst, destination Tigers Head.  I chose to go on the roads so as not to get too muddy for the Pub.  The clientele in there are usually diners, and I don't supposed the would have appreciated treading in muddy foot prints as they were led to the tables.  I am not sure what time we got there, but as it happened, I wasn't too concerned.  It really was just a very social run indeed.

We arrived at the first refreshment stop at....well I have no idea really! But who wants to know? Eh? we had a nice cool drink and as soon as we had finished we headed for the end, and the next pub stop to finish what is a very pleasant run, in was turning out to be a very glorious sunshiny day!

They way back to the second pub was a bit more adventurous.  We were going down Botney Bay Lane. It was very busy for a Sunday afternoon, plenty of people out for a daily constitutional! Dog walkers, couples, families and a chap sitting by the river, such a wonderful afternoon!  The way towards the railway was a bit muddy but nothing too bad, but when we got to the railway and the path running along the side of it was very muddy and sticky indeed! The people with wellies had the right idea though, trying to run through that with road shoes was bloomin hard!

But we were soon running up the steps and over the rail bridges, just the too of them, and then popping out of Little Thrift and turning right towards the DayLight Inn.  We got there and I asked what the time was, and it was about 14:36, I think, not a bad time which included a pub stop im thinking!  But maybe I mis-heard the time.  I will need to check on Sherrys Garmin what time we arrived! But whats the worry about time, this was a social ride!

Here is a picture of me and Orla, and some others that heard that our destination was going to be the Daylight inn!





And this is the route that we took.

Please don't ask what time we left her though! As I have said, it really was a very social run :-) (big smiley face)

2 comments: