Friday 3 January 2014

First Solo Run In 2014

Hello Blog lovers.

I have just realised that I neglected to write up my last Thursday run of 2013, but it was a very nice run through the woods, the weather was good for us.  And it was a good run.

Here is the Geeky stats for that run

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/423869078'></iframe>

Now you know what I write things down on the day or even the day after! Any more time between a run and me actually putting down on paper (or tapped out on a computer), especially after a very good Christmas and New Year, has no hope of getting 'out there'!

So todays run.  Just me, no one else.  Didn't even have my new IPod with me! (I had forgotten to charge it up!)  Also I couldn't wait around for my Garmin to catch the satellites so I just pushed the button and started to run, with no intention of looking at it until I got home!

You know, as I was running along I had that thought. You know the one, it goes 'You know how, after the Christmas and new year holidays, you're feeling bloated, full, lazy, work is looming and really all your body feels like doing is pulling the duvet over your head and stay there till summer'. I felt like that today. All the 'mum' bits done, the 'sister' bit, the 'wife', the 'nanny' the 'friend' 'aunt' etc etc etc, right this second it was just me.

               Just Me

      Looking out, the sky so blue,
      Looking out the sun's shining too,
      This moment, is mine,
      This moment is now.
      This moment is where I resolute and vow

      Get back to running,
      Running for running sake,
      Get back to having fun,
      With the resolutions I make.

      Right now I am nobody.
      Not mum or aunt, nor wife or nanny, no, not even a friend.
      Because right now, this, this few running moments, its just me in the end.

      No music, no Gadegts, no agenda, no route,
      No people, no worries to boot!
       Running is good, its fun and its free
      Running is where I am just me!

These were just some of the thoughts that I started out in my head, for the first  mile or so.  My Garmin counting down the seconds, but no satellite tracking me.  No-one knew where I was, my phone was at home, and I was just out there, uncontactable!  A very liberating moment!  Then the Garmin found me! I know, because I hoicked up my sleeves and just got a glimpse as it said I had ran .30 miles, in whatever minutes it was.  I made sure I tore my eyes away before I saw it!

I didn't have any route in mind was just going to run until I wanted to go home. As I started on one of my old routes, going towards Southborough lane and heading for Bromley Common I smiling.  My heavy body complaining!  I can really tell that I have overindulged over Christmas and New Year!  The weight always hits my hips and back! But knowing that I am back in the programme feels really good. Fat deposits will be shaken and stirred, they will fuel my runs and my cycle rides, they will burn up and help build up muscles, and unveil, finally, the skinny bird underneath!

With Turpington turning way behind me I had a choice of left or right at the end of the road.  I chose to turn left, towards Locksbottom.  I hadn't decided if I was going to run that far yet, as this is just my first 'just do it for me'  run.  I still don't have any races booked! But who is bothered about that, not me, not when I'm running for running sake!

As I was running along towards the first turning, Turpington Lane, the top end! I noticed the sky started to not look as bright! I had a feeling if I ran passed Magpiehall Lane, then the only other turning to take me home after that would be by the church, Trinity Church, which would mean my run would be shorter one than I had been thinking about, even though I had no agenda!  So I decided I would just all the way down Magpiehall lane and then back home from Southborough Lane. A sort of deflated balloon shape, probably how most of us were feeling after the festivies!

I did start to 'beat my self up a beat. Being lazy, keep stopping and grabbing my aching 'cuddly' sides. So I gave myself another firm talking to, me, just me, here running, no one else. "So, what you gonna do Old Girl?" was the question I put to myself.  Now what do I always tell all the newbies who join our group 1? Oh yes, lamppost to lamppost of course. So that's what I did, kept the lampposts in sight. Sometimes it was jog/run between lampposts other times it was walk/jog/run/jog between them!

Until, that is I got to Farringdon Avenue. From there it is jogging all the way home! Well I was on the road affectionately known as 'The Road Where I Can't Stop!'

Back at home I finally look at my Garmin as I switch it off! Not bad, just over a mile of  'undetected' running, but most enjoyable. That's the first one out of the way! Bring on the next run!






No comments:

Post a Comment