Tuesday 4 March 2014

Club Run - Completed Group 1!

Hello blog lovers.

Group 0

I so enjoy leading this group, each and every member tries their very hardest to get round the route. The group started for those that had done the beginners course but were still not ready to move to group 1, and also for PWR members who have been off with injuries, or for any other reason where they have not been running for a while.  It's always nicer running in a group, the encouragement you get and you give to your fellow members makes for great runs and just keeps your motivation up.

Today helping me with this evenings run was Sherry and Della, who took the middle section and the fastest section. It was also great to have J.J. back with us, she has been off recuperating and is raring to get back to speed again.  And Wendi, its her second week back with us, she is trying very hard to get back to fitness. These two ladies usually run with group 1, so it's brilliant that the motivation for running is still there! And with determination they will be back to group 1 before they know it.

We had about four in group 0 today all running really well, enjoying being in a group and getting healthier and fitter. I chose the more challenging route for this evenings run.  Left out  of the rec and then left, and straight on till Pettswood.  The hills are a bit of a challenge this way round.  Running up the longer one is tougher, but going back down it will be so much nicer.

We had a bit or a break when we go to the memorial hall.  I could see that Wendi was really struggling with herself more than the running.  I know that coming back from injury you just want to get back to where you was before.  And depending on how long a time its been since you last ran then it will take a few weeks at least!  But us runners, well, we are stubborn blighters, we think we are immortal or something.  Just because we are runners, we think we can heal quickly, get back to it.  But what we need to do is to just think about the time we first started out!

I know! I go back to my very first blog on some days, when I am feeling particularly useless, and totally unfit, and I begin to realise just how far I have come.  And do you know, its been 6 years almost to the day that I started out running.!  Ok, so I am not running 10k's every week, and I still run in group 1, (still at the back too) but I am there, running, every week. Oh and I have done a marathon, something that I never even dreamed of doing even back in my youth!

The 'recuperators' will be back on form, the new improvers will improve and there will be more runners to help and encourage to achieve their dreams and goals.  When you want something you can do it, as long as we remember that we are not immortal, and that we still have to work hard, rest well, and still keep it fun.  You cannot continue to do running if its a chore, if its a burden, or if you just hate it.  Keep it fun, keep the passion and the fitness will come back to us.

When my end of the group got back to the rec, the middle and the top end of the group were already there doing their stretches.  Then I found out that they had actually taking a slightly easier route home, and missed out on the undulations on the way back! Well, that's ok, as I know they did a loop back, and a run up to the top of the road.  Their run was about 2.3 miles long, but the slower end of the group did an extra half mile! So well done ladies.
Quite a good pace, the last mile and a half was quicker than the first, very well done ladies!

Group 1

After the last few weeks I was a bit apprehensive as to whether I will be able to keep up or even complete the route today.  But when Illustrious Leader said that she was doing a flat route I was quite relieved.  I volunteered to be sweeper again today, it would have happened anyway! And besides, at the moment, it's best that I am at the back.  This darn cold is still with me, I still have this awful cough.  And my body is making so much gunk I refuse to keep it in my body! But after I 'get rid of it' my body must say "Oh Old Girl, you seemed to have dropped the lovely gunk I made, here, have some more!"  What is it with this, how can it just suddenly appear like this!

Anyway, sorry about the yucky picture I've just painted, but you can image how I am feeling.  I managed to keep up with the main group for a bit, but then I had to slow down for a while, and my lovely dear running buddy Janet kept me company!  Slowing down with me, walking on the bits that I walked and just kept talking to me, which is what I needed.  Can you see how this whole group running malarkey works?  If I was running by myself all I would have in my head is, "Come on you lazy mare, call that running" I would be beating myself up, that's for sure. But your running buddies they know, they have been in struggles and the know.  Of course encouragement to get further, but sometimes all you need is to hear someone just chatting as they run/walk along beside you!  Thanks Janet..

When we got back to the off license I.L. said that the group could now go at the pace they wanted to, whether it was faster or slower, although I cant see anyone going slower than me, but as long as they don't change the route.  IL kept at the back for the rest of the run.

It was a tough run for me today.  It's the first full group 1 run that I have completed for weeks!  But it felt great.  I am just going to have to work harder myself, get back on top of my fitness, lose some weight instead of trying to drag that round every mile and I shall be flying round!

Here is our route today, it's amazing I remembered to stop and start recording both runs without mucking up the Garmin stats as usual.

The pace looks slower than group 0, but always the first mile is a warm up mile (as we don't actually do any warm up routines at all) and also we have stops as well, for catchups and also a very good chance for I.L. to let the group know of any races/runs/mob matches that are coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment