Saturday 29 March 2014

March Mob Madness!

Hello blog lovers.

The alarm went of at 8 o'clock, I leaned over and snoozed it.  "What day is it, why did I set the alarm?" The thoughts racing through my mind, as I tried to get back to my very weird dream that I was having.  It was a dream of running.  In my dream I had been telling everyone that they must be there, wearing their 'colours' run as fast as they could.  In my dream I turned up at the start with no Garmin, no club vest, and hobbling!'  Why would I want to get back to that dream.  The snooze button went again.

This time I dragged myself out of bed and shuffled to the bathroom.  I looked in the mirror to be greeted by a fearsome sight! I must remember to take my makeup off before hitting the hay!  After I had removed last nights 'going out' face, I got my club vest from my wardrobe, headed down the stairs to retrieve the rest of my newly washed running attire from the tumble. 

Grabbing a banana I sat and ate it. Looking at the time "8:30! It's Saturday, my lay in day, why am I getting ready to go out?"  Hunting for my shoes in the cupboard, putting the last piece of banana into my mouth.  "Tea would have been nice" I thought.  But I knew if I did that then the first thing I would look for at the park would have been the loo!

My shoes were still muddy from Thursdays woody run, so I put them on outside the house.  I opened the door to a beautiful, peaceful, warm morning.  Hardly a cloud in the sky.  The only noise that I could hear where the birds alerting each other of my presence.  They were busy feeding, grabbing the worms from the dewy grass.  I guess they weren't too pleased when I appeared unlike the worms.  I breathed in a big lungful of fresh air, as I looked around my little area.  No one was around, everyone it seems, still sleeping soundly in their beds.  I walked to the car in anticipation, in excitement.  This is no ordinary Saturday morning run.

I got to my car and turned the engine on, the music started up I quickly turned the music off.  I wanted to enjoy this peace for a little longer, he sounds of the birds and my car being the only other noise.  "If only I had set the alarm earlier, I could have taken my bike" I thought as I drove towards the end of my road "Enjoy this morning from the seat of my bike instead of my car"

Driving through the estate I could see just a couple more cars moving about. Soon I arrived on to the main road, people in their cars, people on their bikes and people running on the pavements, some with huge earphones on! "I wonder if they will be going to Parkrun today" I thought to myself.  I closed the window of my car, just to shut out the noise of the other cars,  I still want to feel the peace of the morning.

It takes only a few minutes to get to the Normans Park.  I parked up at the end of the car park and climbed out of my car.  I looked around me and saw runners in different shirts, some were standing around chatting, others were stripping off their top layers, revealing their 'colours', others were doing a warm up running lap.  I saw another PWR runner and we chatted as we crossed the green to where the 'white and black shirts' were meeting up. 

New Kit  for PWR's


The atmosphere has changed now, there is an excited buzz as we all looked around and tried to guess if PWR are out numbered or if, as in previous 'Mob Matches' we will keep our Mob Match Masters status!  There is one thing that our running club is good at, and that is turning up in full force, with members from Group 0 through to Group 8, we are one big proud running club!

As we walked over to the beginning of the Parkrun, I could see even more white shirts. "Surely this is our day" I smiled as I looked around.

The gathering!



I stood out in the front, and with the new thing that I have found on my phone a did a 'landscape' style picture of all the runners.
1,2,3,........

I knew there is no way I would be in the 'scoring zone' so my plan for this Parkrun was to take some pictures on route, to cheer on fellow PWR as we get together at the 'pinch zone'  as I run along the 'long stretch' and the 'double back',  for I have no doubt by the time I get there on the first lap the front runners will be well and truly past that and running towards the pavilion.

The anticipation now at fever pitch for me, the excitement was building as I waited for the race director to give his address. These Mob Matches are always such good fun, and everyone cheers on each other! A friendly rivalry type of running race, where all abilities can join in, no pressure, and just be part of it.  The off was given.  The crowd surged forward.  It is so difficult not to get caught up in the rush to get to the front.  I have found in many of my park runs, that its not good for me to push forward so fast.  I tried to ignore the runners rushing past me, I looked at my Garmin to adjust my pace, settle into a good pace, and then to have some fun running, taking pictures as I do.

The throng of runners snaking away, stretching before me as the first of the runners reached the path.  There is a friendly rivalry between the fastest runners to be the first to get to the tarmacked path, so I have heard.  Something that I will be in danger of doing.  The snake like running crowd ran along the path and turned right to go back across the grass.  The thumping of the runners feet, the occasional call from the spectators seem to be the only sounds as the long snake of runners 'slithered' through the grass beside the quiet trickling of the river, I quickly took out my phone to grab a picture.  It's at times like this that I wish I had a great camera, as what I see with my eyes is not quite captured by my phone.

The river separating the faster runners
and me!


The sound of my breathing was interspersed with cheers of "Go Donna", as fellow PWR's, who were park run volunteers for today, and complete strangers cheered me on as I ran towards the pavilion. The name on my shirt is certainly an advantage on race days! I ran past the pavilion made my way to the opposite end of the park. There I.L. was waiting for me, she also wanted a nice leisurely ran this morning too.  We stayed together for the rest of the run.

Everyone can and does run
Parkruns!


Just before we got back for the first time to the start of the run, the first of the fastest runners came pounding up behind us, his breathing alerting before we saw him.  It seemed he flew past us as his mind fixated on getting to the orange finish tunnel just to more right turns away.  Slowly after that we heard the tell tale breathing of the other runners past by, waiting to see our first PWR to pass us.

Our PWR point scorers!


The finishing funnel looks so close, so inviting but I.L. and myself still have to continue along the river to finish our second lap.  We tried to see any other PWR before we started along the river.  The double back revealed the throng of runners and spectators gathering at the pavilion. As we neared we could see there were a few more PWR's 'home.  "I wonder how many points we will have?" I thought.

Both I.L. and I ran towards to the top end of the park, looking forward to the last long stretch of todays Parkrun.  "I rather like this bit of the course" said I.L. "So do I" I said, "Especially the second time round"  Towards the end of the long stretch we had another 'photo break' both of us needing it!  So my subject for this was I.L. herself.

Illustrious Leader!


Again,t owards the end of the second lap we were admiring the running styles of the runners, Blackheath and Bromley runners, PWR runners, I was comparing theirs to my slow shuffle.  I shall have to make a mental note to do more butt kicks, get my legs higher!

We ran together through the finish funnel, collecting our tokens as we did.  A great run, great fun and a great turn out for the Pettswood Runners! 41 runners compared to 27 for Blackheath and Bromley, Beckenham 27, Bexley 11 and Cambridge Harriers 1, on the points scoring then Blackheath and Bromley beat us and we came second.  Only the first 27 of each clubs runners score. The first one back getting 1 point, the second one back gets 2 points.  So the few points you have, the better in this case!. But surely, even the name, 'Mob Match', can show you, who were the winners today!


Some more pictures of todays park run.


Kit table now turned
to cake table!

See, everyone can take part!


No comments:

Post a Comment