Monday 31 March 2014

Post Mothers Day Run!

Hello blog lovers.

The worse thing about planning my longer runs on a Monday is the fact that I may occasionally over indulge at the weekend.  This weekend was a particularl overindulgence day as it was Mothers Day.  Family, chocolate, beer, food and fun was on the agenda. 

I had a fantastic Mothers Day, with all the above going on.  And the fun and games was brilliant.  I think this is the first time, in years, that I have actually played rounders after getting fitter! By the way, for my American friends, rounders is a bit like your American baseball, only a bit more sedate! And to be able to run to each base without blowing out my backside was just brilliant!  Ok, so I wasn't fast enough to get a whole rounder, but I did get to second base, and no smutty giggling please!!!

We also played British Bulldog, another childhood game, running after people!  Something I wouldn't have been able to do a few years back either, let alone volunteering to being the bulldog first!  So this running lark has certainly helped me to be able to play games with the family! A lovely family day yesterday!

But on to today.  I was a little stiff from the running about yesterday, I guess it was all the sprints, and stops and the twisting and the turning that did it, but I still had in mind to do 6 miles today.  I decided to choose a real boring route, to just try and focus on my running style, and also chose the pavements as well.  I need to be able to run for as long as possible. 

I deliberately chose my old 'love to hate this road' the A21 route.  It has that long uphill stretch, just what you need after about 3 miles of jogging, a great testing piece of the route for me.  I Hate Hills! The half marathon that I have entered into in May has quite a few hills!  I need to get out there and do some!  I started running along my road and my legs already felt like lead.  "This is going to be a tough run" I thought to myself.

I kept positive though.  At least I am out, it's not cold or raining, and I have not got a hangover! The only thing is bugging me is my tired body!  That and the hour less sleep too over the weekend!  But still, out running is out running, its all good!  So what if I don't make it round a 6 mile route today, I shall try again sometime this week, so what, if its not quite according to plan, plans can be changed! 

I soon got to the dreaded A21, took a deep breath, turned left and headed up the hill to Locksbottom!  There are still a few streets that I can turn down if my legs refuse go any further, but I want to be able to do this long run today, and then not worry about doing another one till next Monday. The rest of the week to do short runs, maybe some intervals and stuff like that.

It is a fummy road (is there such a word as that!) fumes from the cars is what I'm getting at! And with the big lorries and buses, it's not the most pleasant of routes to run or cycle on, but it has got that hill!  The hill that you need just after 3 miles, to test your legs and your stamina, and mentality! 

Past the church, past the petrol garage, past the bus garage, the hill is looming! Of course all of this run so far as been done my style, run/walk!  I keep thinking that one day I will be able to run a whole three miles without stopping, but when I try to hard to do it,  I have a lousy run, I beat myself up, and I feel disappointed if I don't manage it! Now that is not my idea of fun and fitness!  I know some of you sporty types push yourselves to the limits, hearts pounding out of your chests, legs, arms, chest screaming at you to stop, please stop! Well, I am in the school of thought that, nice runs, a little walk, push a little harder up hills, take a breather if necessary and voila! I can still eat chocolate, fly up my stairs without dying half way up, and play rounders on family days!

So you can see where I am going with this!  I didn't quite manage to run up the whole of the hill!  I tried, and then I set my 'goal posts' out. Just run to this tree, and to that tree, then as far as the crossing, etc!  I managed to get quite a bit of the hill done, but it still was tough, and I still did my jog/walk routine up it!

I was going through the 'posh houses' instead of tackling the next hill towards Locksbottom.  After all, this is still only going to be a 6 miler.  I do love going through this private estate, the houses are beautiful.  You can dream a little dream while you're running through here, and take your mind of your running! 

I soon came back to reality again as I got through to the other side.  There is just one last 'short cut' to be had if I need it.  But then the old stubbornness had taken over and I was saying to my "You got this far Old Girl, might as well go on to the planned route"  I actually nodded in agreement with myself!! Pretty daft eh?!

The path that would have taken me home quicker came and went past.  Well, that's that, I had managed the miles today.  I was still thinking that maybe I may even go down to the park, but I knew I was just feeling pleased with myself that I had at least got this far without taking any short cuts.

I got onto my estate and I had some good tunes going on to help me get through to my door!  It was a tough run today, but, I am sure Mothers day celebrations and the extra hour loss of sleep (yes I know it was on Sunday that I lost it) but it does take a couple of days to get back into to the groove or BST.

Geeky stats for you.  A good run, I wouldn't say great, but at least I am still enjoying running, which in my mind is 90% of why I keep going!





No comments:

Post a Comment