Saturday 29 March 2014

Thursday Morning Woody Run!

Hello Blog lovers.

This entry is a little late, I know, but this thing called 'life without runninng' seems to be getting in the way! Now lets see if I can remember what happened!

Well to start off with I had actually thought of a route, which would take in Jubilee park. It was going to be on the pavements, as I have not yet done a reccy through the woods to see how the land lies.  I got to the rec where I met up with all the other runners for that days session.

Illustrious Leader Ann was with me and so was David, I think maybe he wanted to have a nice leisurely stroll that day was he joined my group!  When I.L. asked where we were heading, she pointed out that she was wearing her trail shoes! "Has anyone been through the woods yet?" I asked, and DiscoRich said "I'm heading there today"  and also I.L. said that the woods will be fine now. 

Well that made my mind up.  I have missed running through the woods and quickly conjured up one of our usual routes and said "Right that's where we're heading then"

Both groups headed off at the same time, both of us were heading through 'Dog Poo' Ally, but we were going to be heading up the middle while group 2 were heading to the left.  If felt good to be running through the woods again. The path wasn't as muddy and wet as I thought it would be.  I know I have missed out on a couple of Thursday morning sessions, but it still surprised me how quickly it had all nearly dried up in there.

As I was looking around and chatting and enjoying the woods I felt my breathing getting heavy. Of course! Going up the middle of the woods is 'Going Up'  The climb up the hill started to tell on me!  I started to answer in one word sentences, or just let I.L. and David do the chatting!  Once at the top we turned left to run down to the road that leads to the farm, Botony Bay lane. 

It was a slow run, a nice usual paced run for me, I guess David was wondering when the 'warm up' mile would finish and then we kick into faster pace running!  When we got to Botony Bay Lane we had another quick stop to just take in the sight of the lovely display of daffodils that was in the garden of one three houses that are down this little lane.  It did look splendid.  As we were looking at it just to our left were group 2. Fortunately they came out of the path at a walking pace and just meandered towards us for a few steps and then jogged on past us.  We, of course, pointed out the lovely display of flowers that we just had to stop and look at!

Continuing our run we ran towards the path that group 2 had come out of.  This was taking us to Goss Hill.  Last time I ran down there it was very, very wet and muddy and very slippery.  If this was all dry then our wood running days are back!!! Fantastic! No more pavement pounding, no more breathing in car fumes, no more stopping at crossing points, not more counting lampposts........hang on...... no more stopping at crossing points!! Oh blow!! I will have to have other reasons now to take a quick breather and look as if I don't need it.  But, the flower display was a very good reason for stopping! This is why running is so good.

The way back was through Jubilee park, my original plan, and then either back through the woods over the three bridges, or just over the first bridge and pop out at Great Thrift and head back from there.  Depending on time and distance then I shall make the decision then, or give the option to the others.  But when we got to Great Thrift I decided that we should hit the road and make our way back on the road. As we passed 'Dog Poo' Ally group 2 suddenly appeared!  Perfect timing! We all arrived back at the rec together!

A great leisurely run it was too!  I enjoyed it.  Hope it wasn't too leisurely for David!

Geeky stats!

No comments:

Post a Comment