Tuesday 13 May 2014

Club Runs and AGM

Hello blog lovers.

I love club nights, but today was a just a tad different, Pettswood Runners hold our annual general meeting.  So for this week only club run times alter by half an hour. 

Group 0 start half an hour later and Group 1 and beyond start half hour earlier, which means that we all start at 7:30.  It's great for any beginners to see the other members of their club, and also for the other club members to see just who are in group Zero to Hero!  Because they are all Hero's!  And today was just the proof they needed!  Plus a much needed wake up call for me!  I shall explain a little later in the blog!

The ground was already full of PWR's when I arrived and I was hoping that none of my Goup 0 will be 'put off' by them all.  I was glad to see that two of the regular runners came through the colourful chatting crowd smiling!  I'm not sure if it was a smile of relief that I was there because otherwise they would have to run with group 1.  But also running with me today was Sue and DiscoRich.  Sue was taking a nice, easy short, slow paced run today as she had completed a 26.2 mile night time walk at the weekend. And DiscoRich was recovering and also wanted to get to the AGM early too.

So after all the others had left we headed for the gate.  I had something to put into my car, one of my friends had bought me a little something as a thank you for getting her back to group 1, (I was just 'filling up' with pride that she moved up, along with all the other ladies that have as well), anyway I digress as always.  As I turned left to go to my car I told the group to turn left and left again to head for Pettswood, and that I would catch them up.

What I didn't think about is that DiscoRich who usually runs in group 4 is with us. I should have remembered that DiscoRich warm up runs is like my full pelt, end of run, sprint to the finish group 1 pace sort of pace!  By the time I started back after them they were just about to disappear around the corner.  "Well Old Girl, you better get a move on"  I started after them thinking I would just give it some welly and I could catch them up just up the road!  Yeah! I don't blooming think so!  By the time I got to the corner they seemed so far away! I started to run just a bit faster to try to catch them up.

Now what I usually tell new runners, and my Group 0 is to make sure that you warm properly before you start running.  During the winter time we did warm up drills, and when the weather changed and we went through the woods I made sure that the first half mile or so was a nice slower paced jog before they tried to go faster.  So what I was doing right then was just not what you should be doing!

I finally caught up with them (going up hills included!) was just before the memorial hall and that was only because they had a little walk so that I could catch up with them! I was totally cream crackered!  And it was me that needed the little break by the hall.  I had sent DiscoRich and Sue up to the walk about bridge and back again, while I waited with the other two ladies. I needed that break.  But it also made me realise (and this is what I was talking about earlier) I need to lose weight!  My goal is to lose 2 stone! 

After my lovely holiday, which you can read about in the previous blog which I posted to today, I knew that I needed to lose weight.  The 6 days of half board, buffed style all you can eat food certainly took it's toll, along with the drinking lager and cocktails, is probably not very good training for my half marathon on Saturday!  DiscoRich has helped push me a little harder than I would have today.  He has also bought the group to realisation that they can run a quicker pace than they have been doing so far.  Time for more of my Group to be integrated into group 1.  It's like watching fledgling birds flee the nest!  Sometimes you just need that extra push to realise what you can do.

I am looking forward (again for the second time today!) to seeing the geeky stats, and remember I was at the back!  Anyway, the rest of the run I felt like I was playing catch up with the group!  It really isn't a good idea to run as fast as you can before you have warmed up probably, and best not to do something like that after aforementioned holiday shenanigans!  Albeit I did actually do some running during the week!

Sue kept coming back to me while DiscoRich kept the other two ladies at the pace that was set for the run.  They didn't even realise it until I caught up with them at the rec!  They were thrilled with that run, and I mentioned the 'Move Up' week which will now be in two weeks time!  They are ready for it, even if they just try it!  I feel they will do just fun.  Yes the distance will be slight longer, but one thing for sure, they pace will be slightly slower than it was today!  Swings and roundabouts, they will cope just fine!

After the run it was some stretching, which I know I deffo needed and then off to the meeting.  This usually ends well in time for a couple of 'swift ones' in the nearby pub, but for me, my diet started today!  No alcohol will be consumed during any day other than on a Friday evening!  Especially after todays Group 0 run, it has reinforced my desire to lose these extra pounds!

So Geeky stats!

These geeky stats have proved two things! One, is I deffo need to lose two stone and two, my ladies are deffo ready to move to group 1! They have done brilliantly, and also given me a great idea too! When it looks as if members of Group 0 are ready to move on up I shall bring in a 'ringer' for them to follow! Just to show them that they can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment