Sunday 18 May 2014

Orpington Half Mara(fun?)

 

 
A mirror selfie
Hello blog lovers.

It's taken me well over 24 house to get started on writing about this event.  This was my first challenging run this year.  But regrettably I was very, very under trained for it! Due to all that nasty cold virus attacking me, mother-in-law being unwell and then of course my most relaxing, face stuffing 'hardly doing anything' holiday only last week, I went into this run with trepidation!

Knowing how under trained I was I decided there was not going to be beatings up from me.  I was just going to get through to the end as best as I could, but above all make sure that I enjoy getting to the end!  After all, what is the point of doing something, totally unnecessary, such as running for 13 miles, if you're going to hate doing it!

Naggy Neighbour, Karin, was also doing this, and she was also under trained!  So it really is going to be a test of the determination we have inside of us!  We drove to the school, where the start and finish is, to pick up our numbers and to prepare (mentally) for what is ahead of us!  Well, there is not a lot you can do with your mind really!  Just tell yourself and each other and anyone else to have a good run! Job done!

The Marathon started at 10 in the morning while the half marathon started at 1 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day!  This will truly be a test of endurance for me.  I made sure I had water with me and so did Naggy, she had flavoured stuff in hers though. 
Our numbers


We were called down to the start after a quick briefing from the marshal about safety and telephone numbers etc. While we were waiting for the off some of the marathoners were just coming past the gate to do their second lap of the day, we gave them a cheer as they started their next lap.  I did not envy them at all! Then it was our time, the claxton raised high, 3, 2, 1, PARRRRRRRRRP!

We set of out of the gate turning left and.......faced the first hill of the day! Talk about under prepared!  I took one look at it and my heart sunk straight to my boots, probably along with all other bits of my offal!!! I was not looking forward to running up there.  N.N. seemed to be able to just keep going as she set off at what I thought was break neck speed.  I decided that I wouldn't be trying to catch up with her, and that I will see her at the end!

The hill just seemed to go on for ages, most of the half marathoners seemed to be already in front of me, but I did have a quick look behind me and saw just a couple of other people behind.  As I 'walked' up the hill a very nice young lady joined me, she must have been about 16, she looked so young, a runner from Cottingdon AC in Wallingham I believe.  She too was walking up the hill, So I did not feel particularly bad! If a young girl like her was having to walk up here then it must be a 'doozy' of a hill!

When the top of the hill finally came the young lady and I jogged and chatted about stuff, you know, like you do, and she kept my mind off my running as I kept pace with her.  She stayed with me for the first 2 and half to 3 miles.  We kept egging each other up over the other smaller hills that we came across, and when I started to flag a bit she said "Just think what a brilliant thing you are doing today" but she didn't mean the running for 13.1 miles, "All those children who want to be able to go to school but cant afford it, you are helping them to be able to have an education!"  With that thought in mind I suddenly got goosebumps!  "Just a few hours of suffering for us but a life time of achievements for those kids, through education!" I thought to myself! The proceeds of the entries to this race will be going to children in other countries to be able to afford to send kids to school!  Now that is worth running for.  And this young lady was most exited and enthused about it! Well It made me smile!

We were running past Opington high street when another runner had caught us up, he was doing the marathon and he was also on his second lap. I admired him, and all the others that were doing this marathon, in this heat.  It's not a particularly nice route, but he did tell me that they have a nice bit of woods that we run through!  I knew where these woods were, we run through there with our club! I couldn't wait to get there.

My running buddy soon found her pace as we neared the long, long boring road past all of the industrial shopping estate, and the Nugent Centre, with Nandos, a place that I do like to go to on the odd occasion!  I was caught on this road by some others who were doing the marathon, knowing that had already done this bit already today was very humbling.  I don't think I could do a marathon where there is two laps, especially if its someplace I know, no trees, or woods to distract you.  I think I could even run around our woods for 26 miles, just because it was in the woods, but on the roads, and on this road in particular! Well, it just wouldn't be fun.  I used this road when I was training for a marathon! So to me, this just looks like a training session.

McDonalds was just coming up on my left and I saw two runners emerge with a carton of drink!  Now what a good idea that is, why didn't I think of that!  I nice ice cold drink right about now would be just perfect, instead of my luke warm water! Oh well, just keep on plodding Old Girl.

There were water stations on route, about every 2 miles or so, so it wasn't as if I was going to de-hydrate, but the thought of ice in a drink was still so much nicer!  We got to the end of Sevenoaks way and the route lead us down to the subway and then up! Cruel!  I could have just stayed at the top and run around!  Why was it necessary to go down just to go up the other side!  It wasn't as if we had to go through the subway!

But after this then the next big hill came into view.  Toying with your emotions, it loomed up.  You can see it for about a mile!  It seemed that the hill just kept getting further away as I ran towards it.  The trepidation of getting up it was hanging over me as I kept looking up to it.  It seemed as if the hill was taunting me, "Come on then, Old Girl, let's see what you're made of" I imagined that was what the hill was saying to me.  But then it started. The climb up!  Needless to say I didn't run up all of it.  I did this kind of run for 30 seconds then walk then run for 30 seconds then walk. 

I checked behind me to see if there was anyone behind, but I didn't see anyone, and I kept going with the same run/walk and after a little while I looked behind me again and a lot further down the road I saw a runner. "At least I'm not completely last" I thought to myself and I plodded along trying to get up the hill.

When I got to the last marker board for the drivers to slow down for the round about I decided that I wasn't going to stop until I got to the top of it!  But blow me down if the race organisers had made the route go down to the subway way again!  Well stuff that!  I am staying on top and running round, that will save that hill! 

As I started to run along this road I checked behind me again and the runner was nearer to me.  I thought I had better get a move on and I felt as if I ran a bit faster, I probably didn't but in my mind I was flying!  I looked behind me again and the man (because now I can distinguish who it was) was even closer.  It bought to mind an episode of Doctor who - The Weeping Angels!  I chuckled to myself as I thought this, and it just helped me to get through the next few minutes with a smile on my face!

Close


The next time I looked behind me was just a couple of metres away!  This really did bring a huge smile on my face.  To me, in my 'Just think of anything to take you mind of the pain' state of mind the man wasn't actually moving!  To me, just at the time, he really did look like one of Doctor. Who's Weeping Angels.  Should I be frightened now, should I look back, just keep going Old Girl, he's gaining on you, he is going to get you!
Closer

Just then the runner shuffled past me.

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!










He looked like he wasn't running fast at all, yet there he was over taking me.  "It's a tough one" he said as he past me by! "And its a hot one" he said without looking back.  "It is indeed" I cried after him, not knowing if he had actually heard me, for now instead of creeping up on me he seems to be quickly disappearing into the distance!

There were more undulating hills, all of which I know.  I have run up them before, as well as cycled on them on numerous occasions!  The water from my bottle, topped up at every water station was being poured over my neck as well now to keep cool!  My legs were complaining, my back was complaining and it seemed now I was the only one left running along!

As I got to Chislehurst there was another water station. This time they had some lovely fizzy cola bottle jellys!  I took a couple as well as topped up my water. "There is a nice bit of woods for you to run through now" the ladies had said.  I smiled, now this is going to be lovely.

I turned left and started towards the woody bit.  The signs and arrows pointing the way.  When I entered the woods the sound of the traffic started to fade, after a few metres in I saw a couple of people walking in the opposite direction, a cyclist, and then....nothing!  Sheer bliss!  All I could hear was the singing of the birds! What a beautiful peaceful moment that was. Oh if only all the this half marathon could be in such conditions, instead of that awful road the A224! I had to have a walk here, I didn't want it to end and I wanted to be able to just enjoy the tranquillity for just a moment longer, the occasional car going past reminding me that I will soon be back onto the roads.

When I came out of the woods there was marshall waiting to help me cross the road and point out the little path through the other side of the woods.  For just a few more seconds I felt the earth under my feet instead of tarmac and pavement slabs.  Then it was back out and running towards Birchwood!

Now I really am on my manor!  Even group 0 use this road, and the next few roads too.  We are going up towards Pettswood (the horrible way) with the longer hill having to be run up!  But some of the neighbours were out and some of the kids were there with sweeties and chocolate!  Well, I have never been know to ignore chocolate! And it was most welcomed too!

Up near the memorial hall the route turned left going up Pettswood road, and just along here I spotted a sign! This!
My huge boost!

Well tears brimmed in my eyes, I smiled and I ran like crazy feeling more energised than ever.  Mile 9 and I was feeling like I was floating, if only for a while!  9 miles, in heat, totally under trained (I know I keep harping on about that, but it just a reminder to me NOT TO DO IT AGAIN!) was really affecting me.

I ran along to the next marshalling point and they held up traffic and made sure I got across safely to the next road and I noticed a car with someone hanging out of the window trying to take a picture.  I didn't quite register who it was, I was concentrating on trying to run.  But then he called out to me "Old Girl, hang on, I want to get a picture, I have everyone else" It was DiscoRich!  He and some others were doing the Orpington 10k event, it was part of our GP series, (maybe I should have done that one instead of the half!) But I stopped and had my picture taken, and he had given me the low down on what had been happening.  Then he was away, to the trophy awards or whatever it was he said he was doing.  And I was back to getting on with the job in hand.

I ran towards Opington High street and I could see another little lad hanging about and as I got closer I saw he was standing with one of my club members!  She had been waiting for me with jelly babies and sweeties!  Now that's what being part of a club is all about!  I chose this particular half marathon to do because it was nice a local, a place that I could drive to myself, I don't like driving and get a bit anxious on main roads, but this was virtually on my back door.  I chose it because I always felt bad for the people that have to wait for me to come in! The people who I have bagged a lift from, the people who are there taking photos.  Yet dear Janet waited all this time for me to drag my backside for 11 miles, 11 slow miles just to see me!  Another humbling moment!

From this point it was all just sheer will power to get to the end!  I knew where the route was going to take me, I knew all the roads that I was going to be on, so I could visualise exactly the distance to the finish!  Helpful? I'm not sure.  Some times it was some times it wasn't  Just then a car stopped next to me.  It was Julia and friends and kids!  They had just done the 10k even and were on their way home but they stopped to say hi and encourage me to keep going.  Then further up the road a cyclists stopped!  It was David!  He cycled along with me, and I was chatting!  Can you believe that!  But it did help and it help keep me on pace,  I should have asked him to ride on a bit longer with me!  But he too said goodbye and headed in the opposite direction!

The shops started coming up now, and crossing the road by the pedestrian lights was made all the easier as there were marshal stationed here to press the button for you when they saw you coming.  Just so that the lights would be at stop for the traffic when you got there!  Perfect (although a little rest wouldn't have gone a miss!)

I can almost smell the barbecue now as I just had the last few metres to go!  I can see the pub with all the people outside enjoying the warm day, I could see the marshals next to them ready to tell me that I need to turn left and head for the finish flag!

Just this last little tiny elevation to the gate and done!  Medal around my neck, a cup of lucozade in my hand and complete stand still for just a few seconds while I catch my breath!

A very hard run. A very yucky route! But bloody pleased I didn't give up!  Was so tempting to head on home when I was in Pettswood!



Geeky stats for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment