Thursday 29 May 2014

Running, Swimming, Core Training?

Hello blog lovers.

Today I had running, swimming and core training! Can you believe that? Well don't!  I didn't do the swimming, but I was at the pool watching my grandson learn how swim.  The other two activities I did do, albeit with several hours in between!  But it does look good in the title!

So this morning I wanted to go running.  I missed out on my other group run due to the awful weather.  I wanted to do a nice longish (for me) steady run.  So I chose one of my old favourite routes, up to the A21 then on to Locksbottom and through to Crofton and then back home!  Did I say favourites?  Well, it is really, now that I am back to running for running sake, no other reason, no training, no pressure, just for fun!

I had my tunes going on in my ears, the weather was good, no raining thankfully.  The sun even came out and it felt quite warm.  I was beginning to think that I should have at least bought along some water!  Oh well, I am not turning back now, I was already on Southborough lane! Although I was going to have a 'no pressure' long (ish) run, I was hoping that I wasn't going to go any slower that sub 13 min mileing.  After all, its all exercise and I know that I have to push myself just a tad, especially as I want to lose this ridiculous 2 stone that seems to have taken refuge on my body!

I had forgotten (probably subconsciously on purpose) to weigh on Monday, so from next Monday I shall be add a 'thing' on here that will keep an eye on my weight! And hopefully it will show that it's disappearing! 

I was feeling really very upbeat as I ran up towards the A21, in fact with the first 3 miles I kept to my desired under 13 mi/m!  Which pleased me!  But then that silly business of heading up hills started. I also decided that I wasn't go to through the 'posh' houses, which, I'm not sure is right, but seems like a short cut!  I was going all the way up to the top, by the traffic lights before turning left to head on home!  This of course means another hill, albeit a smaller one.  But then after that, well after that, it's virtually all down hill.

I was started to get a bit tired as well, I should be well comfortable doing a 10k, instead of calling it a long run, especially after having done the half the other week, but of course, that was run while be totally under trained for it!  This is what I was thinking as I ran along.  "So what, Old Girl, that you're struggling, you have only been doing 3.5 miles for weeks" which is of course true!  The ideal situation is to build up slowly, increase the mileage slowly, everything done slowly, well apart from the speed sessions! So again, I pulled myself together so that I can just enjoy the rest of the run! With maybe just a quick glance or to at my Garmin!

Once in Pettswood I decided to run through the High street as well, instead of cutting corners and taking short cuts.  Besides, it's nice to run through the High street, because this is where the Tribute run will be coming through, towards the end, just like my run today.  I only have about 1 more mile today, and that's that.

I start running towards my home now, feeling pretty good actually. Ok so it's not the most fantastic of times, but does it really matter, it's just little old me.  In fact, when I saw a friend of mine just a few hundreds yards from my home I stopped and chatted to her for about 4 or 5 minutes!  Now that is what I like about my running!  Just a few moments from that precious finish but still stopping for a chat with mates!

Anyway this is what my geeky stats look like! You can see where I chatted too!



And so for the second part of my day.  Of course there were quite a few hours between the jogging and the core training.  At least the rain as held off so if there is going to be any sort of rolling about on the grass it's not going to be too wet!

Illustrious Leader was taking over todays training session, and she is as she says, an iron fist in a velvet glove!  So no slacking here!  I was early for a  change, which means I started the warm up couple of laps with everybody else, it also meant that I had to do both laps, and no slacking!

But of course I am here to work hard! And so I did my best!  First there was the drills.  Me, trying to do the knee highs as best I can.  And the twisty things, well I can do those no problem.  I.L. did call them something else which I can't remember now.

Then after that it was the hill training  bit.  When I say hill training, it was a slightly incline training.  As we do all of our training in the rec, of course there isn't any hills there, but there is this slight incline.  It's great when you run anti clockwise around the field as it's very much noticed!  The more, shall we say, 'energenic' leaders tell us to run around the other way!

But running up this bit, my first speedy run to the second cone I seemed to over stretched my leg.  The top of my left thigh started hurting.  Last week it was the muscle at the back of my thigh and today its the front!  I don't know what I'm doing wrong!  Maybe I need to warm up even more before I start the speed sessions.

Anyway after that it was the core training part!  40 seconds of each discipline, lunges, plants, squats and those dreaded things burpees!  I tried to do as many as I could without straining to much, the muscle that was hurting.

After that it was a three point running session.  Visualising a 'triangle' in the rec we had to run fast to point A and then jog or shuffle or crawl to point B and then fun fast back to the beginning.  This was fun, but I didn't give it as much speed as I wanted to, as much as I know I can do.  I have already pulled my leg slightly but I am sill managing to run.  I think If I put in a bit more extra speed then I know it will not end well!

Best to take it easy and be able to play and run the next day, rather than have a week or more off for doing damage!

A great session today, and it really did feel quite gentle!  Am I getting used to it, or was it truly delivered with a velvet glove!

No comments:

Post a Comment