Wednesday 21 May 2014

Still Running!

Hello blog lovers.

The Orpington Half marathon hasn't put me off running!  But it has made me more determined to get fitter, thinner (possibly) but definitely lighter!  And also it has made me realised that you need to do tons of training before attempting long distances!

Anyway, let me get my diary of running down!  Yesterday I took out group zero.  Still slightly achy from Saturdays run, but it was a great recovery run for me.  I took my bike along as well, just to do a little bit of a warm up before the run.  And also, I was hoping to have a meeting with DiscoRich about our plans for the tribute run I am organising! So that meeting could (ok it did) end up in the pub!

There were about 6 yesterday, or 5, my brain is not working this evening, and there were the sisters back with us!  Their mojo keeps hiding from them! So they made a determined effort to get to the rec and get back to running!

The weather was quite muggy and sultry, and it seems more germs have been creeping into my body!  I have yet another cold and cough that is developing!  But I am going to try and not let it get me down!  It's summer for goodness sake! No-one gets colds in the summer!  Anyway, the route today was in the woods (of course) and then turn right to run towards Chislehurst Road, then along there before turning left to run towards the middle path of the woods.

The hill is a bit of a challenge for everybody, including me!  But to run through our woods then we have no choice but to get up them thar hills!  It's all great fun really! And it's always a huge ego boost when you can get up a particular nemesis of a hill in one go!

They ladies were all running great.  I decided that I was going to take them down an interesting path, one that we haven't been down before.  It will cut our run slightly shorter so if they wanted we could go on for just a little more.  I think they were all intrigued and decided to go with the interesting path.

So we went past the middle of the woods path and then went down the next path that goes to the railway.  Of course when I say interesting, I mean it may be a tad muddy just down a bit further!  I had noticed that a couple of the ladies had lovely shoes, lovely clean looking, 'I need to be run' in shoes.  To me, a clean pair of shoes are the ones you 'Hang around' with.  A good pair of running shoes needs look as if they have had a hard run! (Even if its only for 3 miles, cross country)

It was then that I realised that I think I am liking cross country running!  An Old Townie Girl like me loving running through mud!  Great stuff.  As it happened, they muddy patches were just soft ground!  But the path is still a very interesting path, fields either side then popping back into the woods with the routes making it great fun to negotiate, not to mention that it's all down hill too!

We got to the rail lines and then turned left to head back to 'Dog Poo' ally and back to the rec.  I didn't take my Garmin with me, so I have no idea how far we had run, but we were gone for a good 40 mins, and I was a few minutes late so it worked out perfectly timed to be back at the rec!

After a few stretches to warm down, I told them all about the Thursday core training sessions.  I think I may have convinced them to come along!  I didn't go along to group 1 as I was meeting up with DiscoRich to discuss plans!

This brings me up to today!

Normally I would be preparing stuff for my toddler group but today it was going to be a Play-doh day at the group!  Which meant I had a morning free to go running!  After I took my grandson to school, and then had a half hour chat with Nagging Sister on the phone, my resolve for running started to dwindle.  I was still sat in the car near the school.  After I put the phone down I came home and again just sat down.  I had this awful headache which I woke up with, and my resolve for going running started to dwindle even more! 

Eventually I thought that a run will do me the power of good and may even shake this headache!  so I went up stairs and got ready to go.  Grabbing my Garmin I headed off to the woods.  I took the car, as the thought of running on streets just didn't appeal to me right there and then and I drove to Tent Peg Lane. 

While I was waiting for the satellites to find me I notice a lady with a dog on a lead.  The dog was laying down with the lady telling the dog to get up and go with her.  The dog refused to budge!  I went over to say hi to the little pooch.  The lady explained the her dog didn't want to go home because he hadn't yet met his friends!  And until he did then he was going to stay put!  I thought this was most amusing.  Watching this lady pull up her dog, who had one of those harness I must add, and the dog just remaining floppy!

So with a smile on my face I started running.  I had my tunes in my ears and the woods at my disposal.  My headache started to drift from my mind!  I started running through Jubilee Park, my route was going to take me up Goss hill!  I know, there I go with the biggest hills again!  But like I said, my woods is just full of them!  Just that tiny bit of pavement to run on by Bickly Manor and down Barfields road before going back into my woods!

I had a great tune going on in my ears at the time, and I was running along keeping pace with it.  And because I wanted to keep the pace going I played the song another two times which got my almost up the hill!  I didn't put it on again! My legs would have collapsed if I didn't take a quick walking break!  But I made sure that I ran to the top and then took a quick stop!

I started again along the path, but then I breathed in a small fly! I felt it touch the back of my throat! I think it was the thought of it more than the fly itself but I suddenly started couching a retching!  Anyone coming past at that moment could quite easily mistake me for a runner that pushes her self to point of pukedom!  After I had recovered and stopped thinking about the fly that I had just eaten (even now I am feeling queasy) then I started back to my running.  My headache was all forgotten about and I was really have a great time just running along.

The middle path was soon in my sights, after me running up the first of the hills, but the second hill is still a huge nemesis!  I felt as if the run was coming to end all too soon, I could just carry on running, finding new paths, see where they would take me, sort out new routes for Group 0. But toddler group needed to be opened and I was going to be the only leader there today. So I headed off back to the car.

Running down the middle path, just enjoying being out, my lungs seems to be clearing of all the nasty yuckiness, and my headache appears to have gone.  This is much better than any paracetamol, and the fresh air is just perfect!

The walk over bridge was just in eyesight now.  How did it end that quick!?  I want more, but I realised that although it felt as if I ran quickly it is still just a nice steady plod out, I just wanted it to be longer!

I got back to the car, but took at quick walk to Pettswood high Street to see a very kind business owner who has donated to the tribute run that I am organising!  A great run.

But now its all done, I get back home and ........ my headache is back!

Geeky stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment