Friday 6 June 2014

M.O.T, Running!

Hello blog lovers.

Usually I like to go for a bike ride if I have Fridays free, but today I had to take my car for its annual M.O.T. Now usually on these occasions I take in my car and then walk up to the cafĂ© for tea and toast, or sandwiches or whatever takes my fancy!  But that was before!  Now I have given myself this ridiculous goal (actually its quite a healthy goal to do) but right now, it feels ridiculous, I decided to use the half hour it takes to do the M.O.T. check to run!

Now the garage is not that far from Normans Park, so that is my destination.  I handed my keys to the chap who is going to do the check and set off.  The sun was blazing!  Even the mechanic said it's probably the wrong time of day to be running!  But for me, this was too good an opportunity to miss. It's only for half hour, let's see who will finish first!

Ok, so for me, getting to Normans Park, around it twice and back again in half an hour is pretty much going to be tough! Especially in this heat! (I forget which number excuses this is in my book) But it really is quite muggy.  I had forgotten to grab my Garmin so I made a mental note of the time (11:56) and started running towards the park.

Usually my 5k times have been well over the half hour running around this park, but also we usually cut across the middle of the park, twice on each lap, to achieve the 5k distance.  But today, as my car is going to be ready in half hour, (and I have this silly idea of beating him to it) then I am going to go around the park twice without the cutting across section.  So maybe it will be about 2 and half miles all in all. I wish I remembered my Garmin.

When I got to the park I saw that they are very busy planning for something that will be happening at the weekend.  There are grids painted on the grass, with wooden stakes at each grid.  The fair was busy getting together up at the top end of the park.  I shall have to find out what is happening over the weekend now!  Just being nosey of course!

I was sweaty like anything as I did my two laps of the park,  I looked at my phone and noticed that I have 10 minutes ish to get from the top of the park to the other end and back to the garage!  Now the race was on.  But as in all things that puts pressure on me, I folded!  I still ran along, and walked when I needed.

Coming out of the park was my cue not to stop anymore (apart from crossing the roads) until I got to the garage.  As I ran up the last road  I looked over towards the garage and I can see that my car is now outside the garage!  He beat me!  But it was a great fun 'race' even though the mechanic had no idea he was having!

Oh and by the way, my car passed the MOT, I must have looked a site though! And probably in need of an MOT myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment