Saturday 30 August 2014

5ths, 100ths and Ice!

Hello blog lovers.

I woke up to a gorgeous morning, the sun was shining and it was quite warm!  I was off to ParkRun at Norman Park.  Today we are celebrating the 5th anniversary of Norman Park run plus SingstarJo is doing 100th park run today along with another of our PWR Natalie!

I am not very good in the mornings, not until at least two cups of tea to get the caffeine coursing through my body! Not only that but after farewell drinks to another PWR and a small chinese the night before is all going to play a heavy part in my run this morning!

But I got to the park to be greeted by a fantastic site, hundreds of park runners!  When the first one was run there were only 50 runners!  It has kind of grown since then!  Hundreds of brightly coloured tops, people of all shapes and sizes and ages, fantastic volunteers to help the whole event go brilliantly!  It is enough to make any hangover disappear.....almost!

After the preliminaries were done, and the announcements and the congratulations done we were all set for the go.  I listened and waited somewhere in the middle of the park, and then all of a sudden the crowd just moved! Had I missed the count down? But apparently those around me missed it as the loud speaker wasn't used!

We were running the route in the opposite direction today, just to keep things interesting!  So the slight down hills were now the slight up hills and vice versa.  I started running along with the ladies, and as this is also a Grand Prix event (the only park run I have done in August) I have to try and make it a good un.  But my training in the pub last night hadn't gone according to plan!  I slowed down, I gasped and whizzed around as I just set off to fast as usual!

The tea I had before I left the house was sloshing about in my tummy and when I got to the other end of the park I could smell that someone probably had been training the same as me, or maybe they were just pushing really hard, but I could smell that someone had 'chucked up chunks'!  Either that or they were making room for the delicious array of cakes that was back at the pavilion.  But that smell started to make me feel a bit queasy myself.

Going down the long straight started to put me in the right frame of mind, I was thinking "ok, first lap down now get the second on the way"  I still didn't push myself any hard though!  My pals from group 1 were way a head now and doing really well, I just plodded along.  I tried not to think about getting anything of a grand score on my park run ticket!

The second lap underway and my legs started hurting!  I'm just falling apart!  It may have been the bike ride yesterday, but I think it is all due to my lack of training!  I am seriously going to have to get back to full fitness again, keep trying with the diet, even after I have failed, I shall just have to start again from the minute after the naughty biscuit, or pint of or beer or olive nibbles!

I was extremely pleased to see the funnel today, I had nothing left for a sprint finish, I was just pleased to get to the end.  Now, where's those cakes!

Oh they ice?  Well, on off the park run directors. Martin, was today challenged to do the Icebucket challenge!  Which he did, in the park, thankfully after the run!  But he kind of chickened out of nominating anyone else to do it, but three other PWR's did the challenge as well and they did challenge their friends to do it!

Photos courtesy of Jo Gamble aka SingstarJo (100th parkrunner!)

Geeky stats! Oh and I had fogetten to turn my Garmin off, I'm still waiting for my official Parkrun results




No comments:

Post a Comment