Wednesday 27 August 2014

Going Backwards?

Hello blog lovers.

After yesterdays club run, and the chat about solo running, how we never seem to push ourselves when we are running solo, I thought about how far I had come along with my own running.  From way back when, to now, from the time I didn't want to be spotted running about, to now, when I love running in company.  Getting ready for club runs and races is easypeasy! Getting ready for solo running is harder now days than it was way back when! Procrastinating, was a word used yesterday, as we chatted, probably a little too long, on one of our catch up stops.  And today I was procrastinating again,  just getting started for my run.

Every time I thought "That's it, I'm ready to go" I found something else that just had to be done.  When I finally got around to even getting my 'solo gear' ready I was 'procrastinating' all over the place! First off looking for hair bands, or at least my favourite hair band. Then searching for my ipod, searching for my favourite earphones, keys, hat, HRM, and last of all searching for satelites on my Garmin which  I left by the window!

After all that it ended up with me having very little time to do a really long run or even a 5k.  But I think that's a good thing.  I was going to run to Turn Around Lamppost and back, as fast as I can! Non stop at least! After all it's only just over a mile.  I should do that easy peasy!

I started running, without the satelites ever finding me.  I probably would have sat there for another hour waiting for them.  I enjoy my running once I get started, just getting started is tough!  So there I was running along towards TAL and thinking, "This is where it all started from"  I ran past my mother-in-laws house, the very first time I tried this route I couldn't even get to there without stopping!  My chest felt like it was about to explode, my lungs were about to crawl out of my body in surrender! My head felt like it was throbbing and I expected it was glowing like a beacon, and I  thought I had taken on more than I could chew!

But today, I was running past her house, and running unto the path that would take me to TAL.  I was going a bit faster than I usually go for the start of a run, but I thought I could do it, after all I don't have another 2 miles or more to do, this was it just an out and back, 1 mile in all!  But I forgot that my body still needs to breathe and take in oxygen.  I was breathing way to fast, almost panting, so I had to slow down and catch my breath.  Consentrate on getting my breathing back under control and then get going as fast as I can all the while keeping my breathing in order!

I was pleased with what I was doing, I got to the lamppost and turned around with out stopping.  I had a quick look at my watch, which by the way still hadn't found satelites, and I noted that it was 6 minutes and something that had gone.  I could go push a little harder and try to get a negative split, I was wondering if I had that inside of me to do, after all it's only a mile!  It's not as if I am running 5k or 10k!  It's a mile for goodness sake!

But without those satelites I would never know if I was going to achieve it!  I just know that I have to get to my house while my watch says 12 something!  My legs were a little tired and my chest was hurting at bit, probably because I pushed way to hard in the beginning!  At one time I even wanted to stop running and walk for a while!  Can you believe that, bloomin lazy mare!  It's a mile Old Girl, not a blooming marathon!  So I pushed through that nagative thought and carried on running.

It was good to come out of the path and back on to my road with just that little bit more to my house!  I still didn't want to look at the time, I wanted to just make sure that I kept running as best as I could.  Finally, got to my house stopped my Garmin (which still hadn't found the satelites by the way) and it said 12:44! So I didn't get back while my watch said 12 something!  Now to try and check out if that is a pb for me for this route by checking my geeky stats. And as for going backwards! Nah! I am moving forward,  all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment