Thursday 4 September 2014

10 to the Dozen

Hello Blog lovers

I do love Thursdays, and I do love Thursdays when kids are back at school!  It means I get to run with my buddies from PWR for an extra run!  Thursdays are jammed packed with fitness stuff!

It's the first morning session back after the school holidays but this one is a little different, as we will be doing some of the 10k route for our up coming event in October.  Illustrious leader was there this morning and she wanted to go over her teams section.  So she arranged to meet DiscoRich and David and the rest of the faster morning group at the bridge by the stream.  I didn't have anyone running at my pace today so I said that I would also meet her there at 10:00.

We all took off, DiscoRichs group first doing the lap of the rec and out the back entrance, and me, I decided to go straight through to the woods, through Dog Poo Ally!  I have never really paid attention to how long it takes me to get to certain places, I just know that I can do a certain route in a certain time (ish).  So I really didn't know if I could go straight up the middle of the woods and then come back down to Botany Bay Lane and be at the bridge for 10.

So I decided that I was just going to take a few little paths at the side of Dog Poo Ally, and just make sure I didn't get lost and get to the bridge in time.  So that's what I did, but I was still way too early by the bridge.  So to fill in time I ran down to the river towards Botany Bay Lane and then up again, Still with time to spare I did some running up and down the stairs!  Well no point it just waiting is there!

Soon I heard Illustrious Leader's voice on the bridge, and then moments later I heard the rest of the group coming along the path that I ran on to fill time!  After quick chats David took the lead and showed I.L. where her section will start from and go to.  I thought I had been running along the right paths all this time,  I was generally in the right direction, but just the wrong path, so its quite good knowing the exact route.  I may even run through these woods doing the PWR 10k as a solo run! Or even a Sunday run.

Once we started going back down to Dog Poo Ally I finished my run, I.L. went back to the bridge, and the rest of the group went left to finish some more of the 10k.  A nice easy paced run today, and it's great to be back after the long school holidays running on Thursday mornings!



Core Training

Of course my exercises didn't end there for the day, oh no.  We still have daylight so we are still doing the core training in the rec, ok so we have had to come in half an hour earlier to the rec, but we are determined to enjoy these sessions for as long as possible.  There were ten of us today which included a little lad who is just like a like a little whippet!  He is fast! He comes along with his mum, and he does our timing and if we need an extra in a team he joins them!

Anyway, we started of with the usual warm ups, and as DiscoRich is here as soon as we had finished that it was straight into drills!  No talking, no what drills shall we do, no having a quick slug of water!  Drills, drills and drills! 

Then after that D.R. sorted out a pyramid run.  The cones were set really far apart, and not just three of them, there were four! Plus, he set them out so that we were running slightly up hill!  Talk about task master!  But, this is what we are all here for.  It's all about building speed, stamina and strength.  So I tried my hardest along with all the other lovely ladies that was here, and the young whippet.  In fact his pet dog just sat by the side and watched us!

Back to the bench after pyramid running and then core training.  "I want a dozen push ups" said DiscoRich, and so we all drop down to give him 12.  He stuck to the dozen them as each discipline we did a dozen of everything.  Then to end the core training we did a 1 minute plank!

Relay racing was our next discipline, three teams with the whippet on timing duties!  Ten minutes or so of relay running!  I tried to keep up with the faster ladies but came in about 10 seconds behind them!  

A great session, and I took my garmin, obviously not to look at the route but to get my heart rate recorded so as to get a more accurate stat for calorie burn!



No comments:

Post a Comment