Monday 13 October 2014

Good Morning Sunshi........Rain!

Hello blog lovers.

I woke up this morning to the gentle sound of pitter patter raindrops out side! It looked as if it had been raining for some time and set to rain for some considerable to come!  It's Monday and it's training day for Tracy and Wendi.

Because it is such a miserable morning I sent out a text offering several other options about going out at 8 this morning, but I guess that old running mojo is firmly back into place with both of them as they were up and ready!  So no excuses then I had to be there for the ladies!

Todays session was 2 minutes walking and 4 minutes jogging.  I know that Tracy can do that (because we did one 4 minute jog last week!), but starting off in the rain is a little harder on the old enthusiasm!  Well it is with e, unless I have something booked, planned or paid for then I would sorely be tempted to wait until the rain stopped!

I had to take my car the short journey there as I had to get back home, cleaned up and ready for a meeting, but once I was out there, in the rain, with the girls I was quite looking forward to it.  We were all in rain macs and had smiles on our faces!  I know, crazy ladies, 8 in the morning, in the pouring rain, ready to go jogging!  The traffic was building up slowly with the SCRummies (School Run Mummies) taking their off spring to their various schools.  We started up towards Petts Wood in a determined manner for the first of our 5 x 2 min walking sections. We were all chatting, saying that we must be totally crazy, to be out in this.  I find that fishermen, runners and the occasional cyclists are the craziest people!

The first of our 4 mins of jogging started and Wendis chatter kept us all amused and forgetful of the jogging along we were doing, but I was on the ball where the time was concerned.  As there is going to be five lots of 4 minute jogging!

It was a quite tough going out, the rain had slowed down to a slight misting, but we were still quite happy being out there.  The pace did slow down a bit, we almost got to the mark we made on our first week, where the park meets the road. We turned around and headed back for the second half of hour training.

Wendi was chatting all the way, Tracy concentrating on the her breathing.  The next running section seemed a little more tough, but both Tracy and Wendi were doing well.  They are chalk and cheese, Wendi would try to run the London Marathon, right this second, if she could, and that's where she needs gentle coaching.  Rome wasn't built in a day!  She has already done a marathon, last year, in Edinburgh.  After injury kept her away from her running, in her mind she believes that she can just pick up where she left off.

Well, that's not a good idea.  First off, mother nature decides that you have given up the silly idea of running, and starts taking all that hard work you done on your muscles away.  And secondly, she (mother nature) refuses to tell your brain!  Us runners believe that once we have done something we can just continue all the way through, no matter what happens at any one time.  But really, we need to build up slowly again, let whatever injury heal, and then test the healing, slowly let the body get back into shape making the injury site stronger over time!

And Tracy, she's a plodder, I am running in the middle of Wendi and Tracy, reeling in Wendi when she wants to take off, and encouraging Tracy to keep on going.  I know when Tracy is concentrating, trying to get into the zone, I can her breathing, she is really trying to keep it in check, listening to Wendi, but when she starts listening to 'mother nature' saying "What on earth you doing women" then I know about!
"Come on Tracy, keep moving" I say encouraging
"I am moving, Old Girl" she says.  And there it is, the determination mixed with a soupcon of "why am I doing this"

But the answer is always at the end of a run.  After getting back to the triangular green and doing our warm down stretches, under the trees, in the rain, looking at all the traffic that had built up over the past half hour, the smiles appeared. The 'I am so glad that I did that' appeared.  Even I was pleased, I went out in the rain to run.  Ok, so I still have started a solo run in the rain yet, but I am sure I will next time!  Honest......I will try to ......next time!

Geeky stats will follow tomorrow (when I find where I put my watch!)

No comments:

Post a Comment