Sunday 19 October 2014

Saturday Beginners!

Hello blog lovers

It's a bit late in coming, but it's finally here. Yesterday the Autumn beginners were going out on to the road for the first time!  Not only that but there is a particular steep hill, well it's steep if you have never run up hill before.

Sherry and Hels were taking the session today, heading out just on the roads near the rec.  There were four leaders so we can spread our selves between all the runners, it looked as if there were over 30 yesterday.  A brilliant number of runners still in the programme.  The session today was 8 minutes jogging and 2 mins walking.  And the first of the 8 minutes was going up hill!

After the warm up power walk and the drills, we jogged around the rec to see how the groups would be.  I (thankfully as I was still aching from my running sessions this week) was assigned the sweeper! My usual place of which I a proud of.  We started out for our first 'on the roads' jog, coming out of the main entrance to the rec and crossing over the road to run up Wood Rise.  No easing into these hills, we are heading straight for the beastly incline.

I was at the back keeping an eye on everyone, Hels was leading with Sherry and Della encouraging all those in the middle.  Just three reps of the 8/2 jog/walk, maybe get two laps of this little loop before times up.

Tracey looked totally worried, not only about running for 8 minutes but about the incline that seemed to be like a mountain rising before us.  "I don't think I will be able to do it" she said. "You can do it, just take it nice and easy, keep your breathing under control and use your arms to propel you up there as well" I said.  I am not sure how much of that she heard as she looked determinedly at the hill.  The worried look on her face as she ran up the hill was unwarranted!  She did it!  No stopping at all, the two minutes of walking, however, was very much welcomed by her.  But I am sure I saw a faint smile around her lips when we started that first 2 minutes of walking!

The second of the 8 minutes jog started up, and we were just coming into Crossways, and when she saw that the group were heading back up Wood Rise there was almost panic on her face.  I totally reassured her that she could do it, just to take it easy and if she did need to walk that that was fine.  She said "I really don't think I will be able to run all the way this time" She was most convinced of that, but I stayed with her, chatting, keeping her thoughts positive, and then the second of the 8 minutes started.

Her face was a picture, the sheer determination of her face to at least run as much of this second 8 minutes of jogging was such a delight to see.  Because that is all you need, the 'determination', the 'will'.  We know that she can run, because she has already done it!  It's that 'I will' that will get you through.

There was another runner that was having problems with her calf and she was stretching out.  I said to Tracey to keep going I shall be right behind her, and she kept on going.  The other lady started to walk for a bit until the she felt able to carry on jogging.  And then she kept on and on and got back into the swing of things.  We caught up to Tracey and I stayed at the back to encourage them.  The third of the 8 minutes started, and Tracey said "I can't do that hill again" I reassured her that there wasn't any need as we could finish off in the park as that will be time up by then anyway.

As it happened our time finished just as we got to the gate anyway.  Some of the other front runners came down from Wood Rise to go into the park.  The looked really pleased with them selves, and I don't blame them, they all did really well!  The very front runners, well, I think Hels and the others were doing one more lap of the hill!

A fabulous session with the beginners today, and Tracey looked totally pleased with herself!  After thinking that she wouldn't even be able to run 8 minutes around the park, she was able to run 8 minutes three times, and twice up hill!

I love seeing people achieve things they thought they couldn't do!  Love it, really love it!

Geeky stats!  Oh, and ignore the really fast bit from the rec down to Tudor Lane, I didn't suddenly turn into superwoman, I forget to switch of my Garmin and I was in my car!



No comments:

Post a Comment