Monday 17 November 2014

1, 2, No 3 miles!

Hello blog lovers.

This morning we woke up to a bit of wet stuff coming down!  But did that dampen down the enthusiasm of the Monday Morning Girls!  Bims, ChattyWendi and Tracy, no it didn't.  Our aim today is to run for 14 minutes non stop, walk for three and then do it again! And they were all keen!

Now usually we can cover about 2 miles in that time, but I am sure you have all clocked the title up there, we actually covered 3 miles!  How is that, did we use bikes, or skateboards? Was the proverbial rocket inserted into some sort of cavity?  Well, the answer is a resounding NO, to all of those answers!

Listen.......or at least.....read on and you will see.  After receiving an enthusiastic text from ChattyWendi I knew I would have, at least, one member of the Triple M club (Monday Morning Madness, club) this morning.  But  I text Tracy and Facetimed Bims (not a pretty sight first thing in the morning I must say!) to make sure they were going to be there as well.  After the school drop off I went to pick up Tracy and drove to meet the other two at the park.  I was a little late due to traffic, but we soon got under way with our training.  A brisk 1 minute walk to get the heart rate just a little higher and then that all important first 14 minute run.

I was running along with ChattyWendi while Bims and Tracy ran side by side behind us.  I kept encouraging Bims and Tracy to pick up the pace, so that we can keep all together.  It was a tough first lap but Tracy did it, fairly easily. After the first lap we swapped positions, ChattyWendi and Bims ran together while I ran along with Tracy.  This second 14 minute jogging session was proving a challenge for her, she had obviously not been doing her homework!  But Bims and ChattyWendy were on a roll!

I must tell you this, ChattyWendi really has already 'graduated' from The Old Girls School of Jogging, as she had already done her 5k ParkRun, ran the whole way, non stop for the first time.  She did say her time was slower than if she had walked some, but that wasn't the point of her run on Saturday. It was all about doing it in one go! And she did it!  She's still coming along here on a Monday though, you gotta finish the course! And besides I am sure she just loves coming along just because we are all mates. I think this is going to be our running day together from now on!

Anyway, back to our run.  We were half way round the second  lap, just coming up to the car park. As we went past the gate Tracy said "I'm not going again" as she looked towards the cars in the car park.  I said "Well at least let's get this lap finished and we can think about."  She had thought we had done the two laps that we usually did!  And when I told her that we still have about 7 minutes left to run as well she wasn't looking too happy!

She didn't give in though, she gritted her teeth, glared at the path in front of her, or maybe that glare was for me! But sheer determination she kept going to the other car park, the place where I had parked the car!  We managed to get to the other end, and started our walking.  I just walked on a little bit  to see where the other two had gone to and I noticed that they were doing another lap!  So I suggested to Tracy that we started walking in the opposite direction to meet them, it will be better than just waiting around.

But as we were walking, and here's the big huge smiley bit, I suggested that maybe she could try a little bit of interval running.  With very small segments of running and walking, until we get up to the other two.  I was a bit surprised she said yes, but I think she has a determination now and wants to get back to that place where she was last year, when she ran the PettsWood 10k!

We did the interval running all the way to other end of the park to meet up with the other two, sprinting, sprinting I tell you, on the jogging segments, and then we did the interval running all the way back to the car!  No giving up.  Bims and ChattyWendy were waiting for us at the cars. That was the extra mile we did! Huge high fives and hugs all round!  We did our cool down stretches and then said our good byes to Bims and ChattyWendi, after making plans for Tracy to do her debut ParkRun in two weeks time!

Bring it on!

Geeky stats for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment