Sunday 2 November 2014

Couch (Jacket) Potato Can Run!

Hello blog lovers.

Having not run since Tuesdays club runs I was desperate to get back out, but those old couch potato thoughts and feelings are never too far behind. I should have gone out on Thursday, to track, but just wasn't feeling too good.  Friday I had planned to go out just after the last of the kids had been picked up, but then I had to go see my mother in law and things didn't get underway for the whole running thing!

Saturday was a no go, little dude was staying with nanny and grandad, so we had plans for him to keep him amused and wear him out so we would get a full nights sleep with out the usual visit in the middle of the night from him!  It's amazing how these little people can take up, it seems, the whole of a kingsize bed! By the way, our strategy worked!

So fully refreshed from a lovely day out yesterday, pleasant, unbroken nights sleep and great time at church I was planning a longish run! At least 10k. but as usual my plans don't usually work out so well.  To cut a boring story totally in half, I decided to at least run 5k today and then maybe try and do a longish one tomorrow!

I noticed on Facebook that ZippySherry was wanting to run 10k and I said that I was planning that but now am doing just 5k.  We decided to meet on route and do 5k together.  Our meeting point was at top Oxhawth at 18:15 give or take a few seconds!  I arrived there just about 18:16, ZippySherry was already there.

We said hi and then we headed along my usual 5k route, up to Turpington Lane, Green Lane and then back up Magpie Hall Lane.  I knew it was going to be blooming hard!  I felt like I was carrying a sack of potatoes in my tummy.  Let me explain (give excuses) as to why I postponed my run by a couple an extra hour, (I originally planned for 5 ish).  The Old Boy is off to York today, just for one night, he has some course that he has to do, so we had dinner about 4 ish.

Here's where the whole potato comes in, we had jacket potato for dinner, with cheese, beans and coleslaw!  Most delicious but not the best thing to eat before you go for a run! not unless there is at least half day between eating and running!  Just running up to Oxhawth Crescent I could feeling the 'heavy' dinner in my tummy, it was going to be a case of run it off or puke it up!

It's good to have company to run with, and running with Sherry bought back the memory of my first ever half marathon (and only half marathon!) last year in 2013.  The Tonbridge Wells Half, it was a hilly one.  But the first 6 miles was the best of it, as it seemed as if was mainly down hill!  ZippySherry stayed with me for all of the 6 miles, chatting with me, and amazingly she kept me running the whole way, non stop.  And running along besides her today I felt very comfortable, well, of course, apart from my huge totally stuffed stomach!

I had a mild stitch, but I expected that, but the feeling of chucking up was the thing I was worried about! It's not a good look, and besides it would be such a waste of a delicious meal!  Fortunately, well maybe not for Sherry, just a few 'burps' was all that was necessary to alleviate the nauseousness!  Just as well we are out in the fresh air, because I also had a few chopped onions sprinkled with my cheese topping!

Sherry came all the way down to Almond way, and by the time she turned around and went back to her place that should put her at about 10k, mine of course was just a few feet over the 5k, a lovely run indeed, and I shall look forward to some more running along with Sherry and Jo on a Sunday, hopefully during daylight hours next time as i get my Paddock Wood Half Marathon training truly underway!

Geeky stats.




2 comments:

  1. I got home bang on 6.5 miles which is exactly what I wanted - I did a tiny little detour to get in the extra 400 yards or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was brilliant planning :-) Thanks for the run again, Sherry, deffo needed the company yesterday :-)

      Delete