Tuesday 4 November 2014

Two On Tuesdays!

Hello blog lovers.

I love club nights, have I told you that before? Giving back to a great club by encouraging runners back into the fold,  getting the newbies to realise that Group 1 is just as do-able as Group 0 or just being there for the those that just need that little bit more TLC to get back on form!

Group 0

We had a quite a few in our Zero to Hero group today, there were 8 of us.  I think that is the largest number of runners for group 0 yet!  JJ came along today, it's always great to run with JJ, we are doing the BUPA 10k next May, it will be her longest ever run!  So we got some training to do there girlfriend.  I shall have to organise some Sunday runs so that  we can train together.

I still haven't sorted out a couple more group 0 routes yet, so I chose the more challenging and slightly longer route of Petts Wood High street.  Wendi was back with us in group 0, she deffo has found her mojo.  This route is going to be good to do.  I can't wait to see her face when she gets up this hill and the next one, then run along till we get to the memorial hall for our scheduled stop.

The last time I ran this route with her she was really beating herself up, in fact so bad I almost called the police on her for GBH!  I know she won't mind me saying this, but she was in tears when we got to the hall, and she was so disappointed that she just couldn't run all the way!  The fact that she had been out of the running for a while didn't do much to console her!

But this evening, well, this evening it's different.  I took her way back to the beginning, to build up her stamina from the group up all over again, I banned her from coming to group 0! And just took her and Tracy out on Monday mornings.  And it all paid off.  She was leading the way up the hills, beating her self, but in a playful manner.  It was a different Wendi when we got the memorial hall this time, big smiles, no aches, ran all the way, nice a easy, well, actually she stormed up there, (which if she wants to build stamina is probably not a good thing, as she needs to learn to pace herself, even on hills)

Auriol is doing really well, keeping up with the group, we were all a nice tight group this evening.  Such a pleasure to run along with these ladies this evening.  A real feel good run.  Of course the youngsters were in the front, where they should be, and they are doing really well.  Two of them are going to do ParkRun in a couple of weeks, Clare and Keeley.  They are looking forward to it, in fact Clare said she was excited!  Now that's what running does for you!

Vanessa and Georgia are looking good!  They have one more beginners session to do before they do the park run the following week!  It's going to be great!  All in all a fabulous run, I was having a blast.  These ladies think that I am here helping them, but it's like the other way round, they are helping me keep my love of running going, just watching people get fitter and begin to love the running!



Group 1

Illustrious Leader was leading today.  "A flatish route" she said in her briefing "With a hill at the end" I think she had taken some lessons from SingstarJo who took us on her Non-flat 'flat' route!  But I was feeling good, I am sure I can cope with I.L.'s flat route.  She did mention the route in her briefing, but I never know the names of the roads, so I couldn't quite figure out which hill at the end she was talking about.  Still, I am sure it will be do-able!

The first part of the run was flat, all down hill, slightly, to St Johns road, then some little ups as we ran up St Johns. In fact, I think the next road had an 'up' as well but they are just slopes (aren't they) and I think the next road had a hill somewhere on it as well.  And then the road that took up to the little ally way, well, that had a huge hill on it as well! But we are still far from the end.  I started to realise then which 'hill' at the end our Illustrious Leader briefed us about!  Cardiac Hill!

I love hills, I love hills, I love hills!  Does this stuff actually work?  But hills are our friends, they help build muscle and stamina and all that stuff that helps us keep fit! And besides Petts Wood is a hilly place!  But I kept up with everybody, almost, I was at the back and I did walk up some of Cardiac hill! But I kept thinking "Well Old Girl, you did do Group 0" I think of excuses now rather than beat myself up!  I think I should try to adopt that philosophy all the time!

But after Cardiac Hill, with the little break at the top while we waiting for the super fit group 1'ers to do the loop, I ran really well all the way back to the rec.  I tried not to think about how good I was feeling right then, or how good my running was, just in case it put me off, or worse, I fall over my own ego!  But I did allow myself a smile.  I was still at the back of the pack, but I wasn't feeling annoyed or tired.  I was feeling kind of good!  

A fabulous run today! Even with that hill at the end.  I think we should rename it to the "Hill we dare not utter then name" hill. But its all good for us, that I am certain about!  Rest day tomorrow and looking forward to running on Thursday, with some great company, first in the morning and then Track in the evening!

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment