Monday 26 January 2015

Cross Training

Hello blog lovers.

My first cross training day!  I can't believe it's taken me this long to get some other form of exercise in, I've not even been on my bike, but then, I have become 'soft' of late, not wanting to go riding in the cold! Anyway, the cross training!

Me and Bims had booked ourselves into a couple of classes.  I suggested spin, and then said ok just book something and I shall go along with it.  So it was totally left to Bims to decide.  She did indeed choose a spin class followed by a body balance class, neither which I have ever done!  It should be interesting!

I drove to Bims house first thing this morning, parked up at hers and then, when she was ready, we jogged along to the pavilion, about half a mile or so from her house.  We found our class, it was a spin class first, and set about getting the bikes ready for us to 'spin' on.  I had no idea what was in store, no idea what the red lever was in front of me (I thought it was to alter the handle bars angle!), that was until Bims told me.  (I think maybe the instructor really should have taken a moment to explain it to any newbies like myself, but hey ho!)

And then the class began.  Forty five minutes of gentle peddling! Yeah.....I don't think so!  At first it was ok, but then it was time to get up off the seat and peddle, and then squat down and peddle! Wow! I don't even do that on my bike!  The legs just burned!  I couldn't, couldn't do it all.  I turned to Bims and I asked her "How long was this class" It was then that she told me it was for 45 mins!  I turned around to look at the clock!  We've only been doing it for ten minutes and already I was ready to go home!!  The sweat was pouring out of me!  Everybody else seemed to be doing just fine, with maybe the one lady of my right, who I found out had been doing this for some time!  And she was still struggling!

It was an experience to say the least, one that maybe I could repeat again some time, even though I struggled big time!! I knew I had done a big work out after the 45 minutes session.  A good session, good music!

After that we walked to our next class, we had about 10 minutes or so to relax, cool down a bit and get the heart put back in place!  I sure mine was half way through my chest!  I again chose a place at the back along with Bims,  I think it must go back to school days, 'get at the back of the class and the teacher can't see you'.  And also I didn't want the other people taking the class to see what I can't do either.  They all looked super skinny and bendy!

I can't get seem to get rid of the feeling that maybe I shouldn't be doing stuff like this now, not at my age, not now, after doing nothing for most of my life!  I mean I could seriously do damage! Even if its damage to my ego!  The instructor here started off by asking if there was anyone with any injuries, I like that, that's important to know!  And at the moment I am suffering with this weird back pain.  I say weird because it isn't there when I am standing, walking running, doing stuff.  It is only there when sit!  I can actually feel it 'crackle' when I am just sitting and not even moving!  And then when I try to get up of my chair, in fact any chair, I have to be really careful, do it slowly and gently.  Weird!

The class began.  She said it is like Ti chi, Pilate's and yoga all in one class.  I was imagining some nice gentle slow movements.  And that's what we did.  We stretched and twisted and bent our bodies to lovely soothing music, we had 'centering' and sun salutations, warrior ones and two, not to mention going to the dogs and alligators!

It just proved to me that my body is in no way supple or bendy in any way, whatsoever.  Even the bits that supposed to bend don't want to bend.  Me and Bims just looked at each other on some of the bendy bits, and just thought "I don't think so"

But it was good, and I am sure that doing that class after the manic spin class certainly helped with muscle soreness because I really expected to be totally paralysed after but, at the moment, I seem to be walking around ok! But then that could be because of what we done after that class had finished.

By this time, after the perfect relaxation that we had done during the Body Balance class (we got to lay flat and almost fall asleep!) I was in no way looking forward to the jog home!  I don't think I could do it!  But Bims did her nagging bit, and we jogged, albeit very very slowly, back to hers.  I even walked a couple of bits too, just half a mile to do and I walked some!

Bims had be dying to get me to use her hot tub.  It's something that I just don't get.  Taking a bath with your family or friends or strangers, if it's in a club.  Not only that it's outside in the garden, and, AND its almost the end of January!  But my resolve had taken a pounding too, I had no fight left in me to give her a good reason why I can't get into her bath!

I did try the "I've got fake tan on, oh sorry, I can't get in" (that's a no-no when it comes to getting in her out door bath) but, as anyone who knows me I barely put on lip salve let alone fake tan, and the fact that at the moment I look like Caspers' mother!  And so there it was, me loaning one of Bims bathing suits (which by the way I was pleased to see that the bikini top was too big for me!)  and then creeping along to the hot tub.

I was surprised at just how hot it was!  It really was like a bath!  I sat in the spot with the jets of bubbles coming out and it massaged my back.  Ok, I here. Now what!  "Um, nice weather!"  Well what else do you talk about while in the bath with your sister!  But I soon started to relax, and even to forget about the builders that were working next door.

It was at that point Bims decided to take a picture of me!  When I looked at it I looked so white!  It was like I was 'haunting' her hot tub!  No, no, don't you post that one.  But of course I think she was getting me back for all those picture nasties of her I put in my blog!  I made her take another, with some filters going on, just to see if it could at least make me look like I wasn't her 'chicken dinner' boiling in a pot!

Here, this is the result! Like a rare white rhino wallowing in a 'kini'  But boy was it ......ok!



The bubbles went off after 15 minutes and then she put it on again for another 15 minutes.  Well, with about 5 minutes left to go I was really looking forward to getting out!  I slid around to where the steps was and I thought I might just be able to slither out, just like the crocodile that I had done in Body Balance, but I just didn't have any energy left!

Eventually I managed to 'haul ass' out of there and just staggered to the sitting room, and then after getting out of the swimsuit I sat, wrapped in the towel to 'recover' from the hot top!

A very good day for activities, me thinks!


No comments:

Post a Comment