Thursday 1 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Hello blog lovers!!

I was going to start this blog off with a dynamic beginning in the vein of  'I was captured by aliens, so I couldn't run' but my head is way to fuzzy to come up with anything that would sound spectacular, so the truth will have to suffice as to why I have not written about any runs since 11th December!

The truth is, I have only done two runs since then, and both of them were kind of similar, as both of them was ran after great parties!  So both of them were 'Hangover' runs!  The reasons, by the way, for me not running after the first run I will tell you about is, 1) due to back, which I will explain in my recount, and 2) this dreaded lurgy thing that has had tons of people laid up in bed!  So here is my first run, which also was my last run of 2014!

I was with some lovely people, SingstarJo, ZippySherry and Helena!  We met up at the rec, after I  ran there!  I was desperately trying to ignore a niggling back pain that had started up just a couple of days before.  Typical runner, we think we can 'run through' these things!

With just the four of us we set off on a planned route that ZippySherry had thought of.  Heading down Southborough lane, a little 'lollipop ' loop that will take us back up Southborough Lane and then back to the rec.  Well that was the plan anyway, but it didn't quite go to plan,  ZippySherry had developed an injury and was finding it difficult to carry on running just as we reached Blackbrook lane.  We decided to run back with ZippySherry at a slow pace and then we could add on some extra roads once we were back at the rec.

We were half way back up Southborough when ZippySherry insisted that we carried on at our faster pace and she will run/walk back to the rec.  So with the three of us left running we ran along the high street and up to the 'Offlicense' and back down Beaumont road, and then finally running along to the rec.

We said our goodbyes and then I carried on running back to my home!  It was a good run, running in the morning is a great time to run, and it was a bonus to be able to run first thing on Sunday morning as usually I have church to go too, but really, if I get up early enough then I could do both!

Maybe that is something to think about for this year!

Geeky stats



So todays run, New Years Day run, a hangover run! Again!  My first run of the year! For some reason know only to a boozed soaked couple of old girls (i.e. me and Bims) we decided that it would be good to meet up at 12 noon and go for a run.  Of course me being all bravdo said, !yes ok then only if I don't get up for Parkrun then I will meet you both", because it was just only me and Bims,  NaggyNeighbour was going to run as well! Then thing about NaggyNeighbour is that she don't actually drink. Not a drop of alcohol passes her lips, and she will remember what we had spoken of!

Of course Parkrun time came and went and I was still catching some Zzzzzzz's.  The Old Boy called up the stairs to me at sometime, I didn't know what the time was, but I just turned over and went back to sleep. That was until Bims called me, sounding all bright and breezy!  How dare she sound so bright, she had as much to drink as I did! (but later on I found out that she was that bright and breezy as she sounded).

Bims wanted to go through the woods, I wanted to test my new shoes out and Naggy wanted to do some 'running' on the roads.  The thing about running in the woods is of course the mud, and the fact that you may have to slow down and even walk through the muddier bits!  Probably why Bims wanted to do the woods!

But me and Naggy had our way, me with my new shoes and Naggy with some (planned) non-stop running!  We set off, no time to wait for satelites to find me, as Naggy headed off with a "Come on then, get running!"  So I just started up my Garmin and hope satelites would find me en route!  Just that first two minutes of running started me thinking that this was going to end at all well!  My head was thumping, my mouth was as dry as the Sahara and my overstuffed, totally abused, almost welcoming back Mrs Couchpotato body was complaining like anything!

When Naggy started towards Hollingworth road, with that incline I just knew it was going to end very messy!  Naggy was on top form, Bims and me we running after her like baby ducklings trying to catch up with mother duck!  It wasn't going to happen!  We kept running though, even up the hill, not at any great speed, and I doubt if it was the planned 11 mileing that naggy wanted us to do!

It was good to run down hill though, after we got to the top.  Surprisingly the hill didn't seem that bad!  I managed it, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was totally hanging then I could even give myself a pat on the pack for even thinking it was kind of easy!

But then the nausea kicked in, as we started running towards Crofton Lane.  This could be the moment that I totally embarrass my self (as if I didn't do enough of that the night before).  By guts were churning, the tea I had ealier, in way of trying to rehydrate myself, was threatening to spill out at a great speed!  i tried to focus on something else, running, that's what I shall focus on.  But it just wasn't happening.

Running along towards Petts Wood high street now and I was looking for a corner, some nice a discreet place to 'chuck' up in!  But there wasn't any place to be found.  I slowed down to walking pace, and then the nauscea really took over as I started to heave.  Ok, this is it, this is the moment I embarrass myself.  I looked for a drain at least to 'use'.

I stood over it and thought nice thoughts, I really thought I was going to chuck up.  But thankfully it didn't.  Naggy and Bims came over and I said that I think I was a bit ambitious to think I could run after last nights shenanigans and suggested they carry on while I took a short cut home.

I walked along the road and watched them as the ran up the street, doing it, completing their run.  I felt awful, I felt annoyed at myself and I felt a fraud in my new running shoes!  It's my own fault!  Not sympathy, I was just a mess!  After a couple of minutes I started to feel a bit better, so I decided to run for a bit.

I saw them girls as they neared the end of the road,  there was no way I would catch them up, and besides, I didn't want to spoil their run if I had another 'episode' like that.  So I ran to the end and ran down Frankswood Avenue,  I was thinking, "If I feel really bad then I can turn down Oxhawth" at least I had done some running.

As I was running along I actually started to feel a bit better.  "Maybe I shall just stick at this slow pace and run all the way down to the Harvester", I thought to myself.  "I may just be able to meet the girls and we can all finish together"

I waited for just a few seconds after I got to the Harvester to see If I could see them.  I was beginning to think that maybe Naggy had taken Bims on a slight detour before coming down Blackbrook, or maybe it was longer than I thought, going through Jubilee park and they were still a way to go there.  So I carried on running through my local park and then along Whitebeam to my road.

I was sort of pleased that I ran at least 3 miles today, but disappointed that I couldn't have been tougher on myself and stayed with the girls.  But anyway it has prompted me to say that I am having a 'dry' couple of months!  Hopefully I can concentrate more on my running, getting fitter and hopefully losing weight (which I know I have put pounds back on these past couple of weeks!)

So geeky stats.



No comments:

Post a Comment