Sunday 1 February 2015

5th Long Run - Finally Broke The Double Figure!

Hello blog lovers.

Marathon training going well. Ok so I am not up to half marathon distance yet, and I am not even doing it in speedy times, but I am getting out there!  It's tough going, but then any long distance running is.  And to me long distance is over 4 miles.....at least!

I posted my route up on my facebook page, just to see if anyone wanted to come along and join in with me.  My sister Bims had plans of her own today, something about cuddles kisses and giggling with her little man.  Grandkids, you gotta love em!  WendiMoo was keen to come along again.  She is doing a marathon as well.  It's always good to  run along with others while out training on these long runs.

WendiMoo was going to meet me along the A21 one again, as I was 'recycling' last weeks route, with an added extra bit of road in PettsWood, up hill!  Not my fav pastimes of course, but where else can we go.  The Old Boy was going to be doing a bit of cycling himself and as I was running along the path by myself he decided to just cycling along behind me to keep me company!

I told him WendiMoo hoped to meet me by the church today, see how far she can get.  We both left our houses at the same time, so by the church is probably just about right, if we are running at the same pace!  She was just a little further back when I spotted her, but both of us had ran about a mile when we met up! Perfect timing really!

We were both very determined to beat this double figure route and we both were feeling very confident.  I just love running along with WendiMoo, her chatting just helps me through all sorts.  We had got to the Normans Park and I had a cramp like pain in my hip.  With just a quick bit of pressure on it and listening to WendiMoo I ran through it!  I knew that there will be bits of pain here and there now, what with the long runs and everything, but not just yet. Not at mile 3.  I could only put it down to it being blooming cold!

I was feeling pretty strong actually, and I really didn't want to dwell on that, bad karma, it's a bit like saying 'good luck' to actors, best to say 'break a leg' to them.  Well, I don't like to think that I am running well.  I just want to get on and do it. As I said to WendiMoo, much later in the run, I can only remember getting 'in the zone' once, where I was running so well, feeling pretty strong and felt like I could run for ever! But when I realised that then the moment went! I slowed down, and couldn't get back to the sweet spot!

We turned right after getting through the park, and the hill, the tiny little hill was towards the end of this road. I was hoping that we would be near it and then the mile would be up and we could walk some of it.  I am really trying to like hills, or at least give them some sort of respect!  But it's hard, it hurts my legs, it plays on my psyche, it taunts me!  I work well with praise, with love, with kid gloves!  Those down hills, now they now how to raise my game! "Go on Old Girl, enjoy, run, run have some fun"  Even those flat sections, "Come one Old Girl, one foot in front of the other, and you're eating up those miles"  But those pesky hills, those little tiny inclines "What on earths that! You call that running? Let my raise it a bit higher!"  That's what those little hills do.

I should learn to use Emmas' mantra "Shut up Legs" but usually I am too busy saying "urgh, ahhhh, ouch"  I will get there.  We had to start our running while we were still climbing the incline, to the top, we also had to cross the road, the traffic was against us this time, but we only had to wait a few minutes.  Going through the next park and I was still feeling pretty strong!  I tried not to think about it.  WendiMoo was suffering a bit.  I did have those aches, like the ones everyone gets, knees at that hip every so often but then my back started to play up.  Usually the only time my back plays up these days is when I sit down!  But I did wake up this morning with a slight ache!

Anyway, like any true runner I ran through it!  If it's not sharp and horrible and just 'feels' wrong then just keep running.  We were soon running towards Jubilee Park.  There was a couple of extra little walks but not as many as last week, and again I started to think "Blimey Old Girl, you're doing ok!"  That next hill was looming though, psychologically it started to get to me.  But I was determined to do it!  We ran up.......we walked up the steps to cross over the rail lines and then WendiMoo was beginning to feel some pain in her foot, just the angle of going up the steps was enough to make her need to stretch out after.

I was thinking that maybe going up the hill was maybe a little too far for her this time round.  And maybe going the same way as last week so that she could run home will be better for her.  I did give her the option and she thought also, that maybe this time round best to get going on the homeward bound.  I can always tag on a couple of miles at the other end!  So that's what we did. And secretly I was so pleased!  I would have done it, of course, but tagging the extra mile on the flat is sooo much easier!

We ran through Willet Way rec and then on through to Petts Wood to run over the walking bridge near the NewsShopper.  Now my route was to go all the way down to Turpington Lane, which is where I will leave WendiMoo, and then back via the route that I used to always do, my 3 miler route.  I put my earphones in after WendiMoo had left me, I told you I need the distraction, and ran as best as I could, trying to keep an eye on the mile markers.

I was on MagpieHall Lane when I noticed a big smiley face in a car, it was my mate Pat, I waved.  I think I was walking then and decided that I would run, just in case I see anyone else. Getting on to 'the road I dare not stop' was actually a relief, because there was no pressure.....sort of....no looking at the Garmin, I was to just run and run until I get to my house.  I did it, I looked at my Garmin and decided to just run along a tad further, just to make sure my Garmin don't have a hissy fit and decide to stop working or do what ever it does on the odd occasion!

So, double figure route done!  Not smashed it, but it's done!  Now to start thinking about hydration and energy!  Water for next run, dextrose, lets just see.

Oh, and just to let you know, I did do a run on Thursday morning, I just didn't get around to blogging about, blooming cold if I remember rightly, and of course lovely company with Nicola and Michelle!  the route and timing can be found on my Garmin site!

So geeky stats for this run!

No comments:

Post a Comment