Thursday 26 March 2015

Track Time!

Hello blog lovers.

Tonight was a good night.  Hard slog, but most enjoyable.  I dragged out Naggy Neighbour, rescued her from devouring chocolate without having earned it first!  So I collected her and I drove!  It will be the first time that I have driven Naggy Neighbour, and I am not sure if she was ready for it!  Driving is not one of my strong points!  At least it is only a couple of miles away!

We arrived at track, paid our £4.00 and walked up to the end where 'the gathering' happens.  We said hi to PhysioMike who was taking this evenings session and then just did a nice genteel lap of the track. When we got back to the beginning I saw Debra, this will be her first track session.  It's always daunting when you go out and 'play with the big boys and girls'.  I know how I felt the first time I went out on track, back in 2012/13 when I started hard training for my first marathon.

Wow, I didn't ever think I would be saying 'my first marathon'!  Crazy....crazy lady! But I do think that this time round I am more relaxed, I know what to expect, I know what I can do!  I am also not beating myself up if I miss a training session, I am not pushing myself hard on my long runs, I am just having fun!  And I think that is why this marathon is going to be plain sailing!

Anway, back to track, PhysioMike had us do the centering thing, make us more away of the position we should be, with our hips and what not, and bouncing on the spot. And then the drills and warm ups started.  Little tiny speedy runs in a most relaxed way, is what he was after!  It's something that I have to work on I think!

And then the session started.  It's a hard one, three one milers ran at slightly faster than Parkrun pace, with 90 secs rest between each one.  That's four laps! Four laps, non stop,  I normally tire after three, and forget how many I have done.  But Naggy Neighbour said that she was going to stay by me as I had the Garmin!  I knew that was going to last!  First lap I gave it, before she started to pull away!

I do believe that she tried to stay with me, but soon I was watching her get further and further away as she stepped up a gear!  However, Debra was close on my heels, she runs at my pace, group 1 pace.  We will probably be sticking together!  Not more eating dust!  Well actually there will be as we get lapped and lapped again by all the faster runners!

The session went by pretty quickly.  I do believe that running on track does make it seem that you go faster!  Maybe its the bounciness of the the track, maybe it's because there is nothing to distract you, lifted up pavements, tree routes,....dog poo!  You can just put your head down and run!

With just one last lap to do I said to Debra that I am just going to step up a gear, I encouraged her to keep on going and then I looked ahead of me.  I set my mind on going just that little bit faster all the way round.  I think all the other laps I had taken in my heart exactly what PhysioMike had said, "If you're running at the weekend, there is no need to go all out"  Well, I don't need to be told twice!  But this last lap I just wanted to push it a tiny bit more.

Mr. S. was there, and he was saying "Go on on, get going" He wasn't running today, he is doing some sort of double double!  Marathon and then in the afternoon half marathon, then next day marathon and the a 10k in the afternoon, or it could be 1 marathon, two halfs and a 10k, all done in two days though!  If he had been running next to me I could have asked him to repeat it, but he said it as I was running past him!  Now thats crazy!  You gotta love this running stuff!

Anyway, there I was my last lap, all the others had finished there, some were already leaving, Karin was there doing a warm down lap, and I just pushed it, just a little bit!  The first corner done and I thought maybe I should have waited till the 200m before I upped the pace!  But it was too late now, I was out there, leaving Debra behind, (this was totally a new experience for me)  I don't think I have ever left anyway behind me!  I am normally the one that is saying "Go on, go, I'll see you at the end" as I watch them pull away!  It's weird!

The last 200m and I was thinking, "No, I done the right thing"  It's was good to know that I had that little be of energy inside of me.  I was still aching from Tuesdays training session with the St Christopher's team, but when your moving then you don't notice the aches!  With that last 100m to go I fixed my gaze on the finish line and ran, not as fast as I could have, I still felt as if I could have pushed it that little bit faster, but I didn't want to over do it!  After all, this Sunday I am doing the Paddock Wood half!

I turned around and then started calling after Debra, "Come On Debra, you do, and then Mr. S and PhysioMike all called out to her!  She had her own welcoming committee as she finished her final lap!  She looked totally pleased with her self! And for someone who has only just started to run, (back in September last year I think she said) she has done really well!

A great session!  Totally enjoyed it, and then chillaxing time, apart from a couple of miles on Saturday with the beginners!  Bring on the half marathon!

Geeky stats.





No comments:

Post a Comment