Sunday 5 April 2015

Easter Solo Run

Hello blog lovers

It seems to be a long while between this run and my last run!  And yet today I still hadn't time to do a long run, so it was just have to be a quality, hard, 'interval thrown in' style run.  So I planned a 10k ish distance, to Normans park, once around then thrown in that interval running, and then back.  That should work out to a 10k!

After church I came back and got myself changed, looked for my ipod (which wasn't charged!) and then got out as quick as I could.  I had the family coming over for dinner, lamb, what else for an Easter dinner! Once outside I started up my Garmin and then set off for my run.  I was going to run as much as I could, this was going to be like a Thursday session, but twice the distance!  I think I was running quite well, maybe the enforced rest has done some good, added with the track sessions.  I don't suppose the booze and food has helped though!

I had thought that I would be doing three laps of the park, my maths is really not brilliant!  How I came up with run 2 miles to the park + 3 laps of the park @ 1 mile per lap + run back 2 miles = 6 miles ish!  Mmmm, I think I should have paid more attention in math class! I guess I could have done the extra lap, but being on a schedule I really needed to get back home.  My house was a mess!

The run to the park seemed to be over so quick, just the laps of the park to do, and remember, even then I was thinking 3 laps, not 2.  The first lap was still part of the run as much as I can, with the second lap being the interval running!  There were lots of people in the park, kids on bikes with the parents, and off course the dog walkers.  But it was nice to see whole families out there, just for a walk, probably walking off their Easter Sunday dinner!

On my way round the first lap I was taking note of where I was going to run my intervals from.  I chose bins and trees and the buildings.  Run hard and fast as I can, that was my plan, then walk or jog to the next point before running my ass off again.  I was doing pretty well, I passed a cyclist about 3 times on the way around the park, I think she is practising in a safe environment, it's always good to see people getting out there and doing things that will keep them fit and healthy!  On the last time I saw her she called out to me "There must be an easier way to work off the chocolate!" If there is I don't know it!

And so the interval running!  My targets chosen and I ran out, fast and furious (maybe there should be a film with that title!) From the beginning of the long straight to the bin!  I fixed my gaze on the bin, not stopping until I got there, run as fast as I can!  That's the plan, try and run hard and feel like I have run at least 10 miles and not 10k!  All the way around the park I ran fast, avoiding the kids on their scooters, groups of people, dogs, the bumpy pathways.  I ignored the looks I got from the people as I huffed and puffed past them in pure speedy fashion(?) I need to work hard today, for the marathon is not that far at all now!

It was when I was on the recovery walk to the long straight that I realised that I didn't have to do another lap to make it 6 miles done, I can get on home!  So I turned left and jogged walked, and ran the rest of the way back to my house.  I still use that 'road where I dare not stop running' section.  It's a good psychological section for me.  It's the end of each running session, whether it's 3 miles or 13.4 miles.

I pushed it a little harder down the road, I wanted to really feel as if I had done a good work out.  when I looked at my watch when I got back to my house I noticed that I was under 11 min miling!  I was pleased with that, I just hope it will be enough this week as part of my training!

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment