Saturday 18 April 2015

Two for one

Hello blog lovers.

Although I am taking things easy for these last few days before the marathon I am in no means totally comatose on the sofa.  On Thursday morning I met up with the Thursday crew.  Richard was back from Table Mountain after running 36 miles, in all of that heat!

He had his crew of about 5 and in my group there were about 6 of us.  I was going to do part of our 10k route, taking in a couple of the hills, helping to get us stronger, and hopefully to 'embrace' those hills and get to love them....well ok, at least to just like them!

We ran out of the Towncourt gate as our 10k would take our entrants.  And up towards Hazelmere.  We ran along the road until we got to Little Thrift and then ran along the path next to the railway lines.  The group started to split into to two groups, ZippySherry ran ahead with the faster ladies and I ran easy to as to not lose anyone.

After running through Jubilee park we took a catchup break on the corner of Thornet Wood Lane and Blackbrook lane.  We were going to need it, as Goss hill is next.  I love this hill.......blimey, did I really just say that!  Yes, yes I did.  But I love it in a peculiar sort of way.  I hate running up hills, as you all know, but this hill has become my favourite hill to hate!  Every time I run up here I try and try and try to get further each time!  I know there are all those other hills that I have conquered, but this one I have yet to do!  I did it once before, when the Old Boy was with me, pushing me up the hill!

We had a faller at the top of the hill!  There is a particularly cheeky tree root just at the top of the hill, just when you get to the top, all tired and exhausted, thinking that at least you are are the top, then you have to remember to pick your feet up to get over that last tree root!  But in true PWR style, she just brushed herself off and after a few minutes we carried on!

I decided then to change my route and not do the extra hill that I had planned on.  So after we ran along the back of the school we turned left to go up Botany Bay Lane and then turned right to run along the bridal path.  I still had in mind to go a little bit further, maybe to run along to the Willet memorial, or even to the Chislehurst road, but that wasn't possible this time.  Our pace had been a bit slower and time was against us.  Maybe next time.

We ran down the middle path of the woods all the way to 'dog poo ally' and then made our way back to the rec.  We still covered nearly 4 miles for a Thursday run, and it was most enjoyable!


Beginners Group

This morning was the penultimate lesson before Parkrun Day!  We still had at least 20-25 runners left in the course.  A couple of the other beginners actually join me on a Tuesday evening as sometimes Saturdays they are not able to get to the rec.  

This week they were running for 10 minutes and walking for 2 three times.  With that hill as their first part of the route it really is a challenge for them.  I try and muster up all the encouragement I can, enthusing enthusiastically as I can about the love/hate relationship of those darn hills!

We had two reps of the hill in question and the lovely down hill of Birchwood, before finishing of the third 10 minutes run in the rec.  

A great mornings run, and it's just so good to hear everyone still here say they didn't believe they could get to doing 10 minutes of running!  Just over 6 weeks they are come so far, from running just one minute to running for 10 minutes.  Soon that Parkrun will be next, 5k running!







No comments:

Post a Comment