Monday 25 May 2015

Bupa 10,000

Any chance of tea?
Hello blog lovers!

What can I say!  absolutely brilliant day!  And don't you think that 10,000m sounds better than 10k! Yeah me too!

I was looking forward to this race, mainly because I was there to support a good friend of mine.  This will be her first race, her first 10k and her first medal for running! What a great privilege it is to be here watching it all unfold!

It all started a year ago, J.J. put her name down for the Bupa 10k, she has never ran that far before, or even entered a 'race' before, but I said I would come along and run along beside her and keep her company.  Knowing how everybody else in the club seem to progress to the next group I would have thought that I would probably be trying to keep up with her!

As I was training for my marathon J.J. was training for this 10k.  She even came out with me for one of my training runs, she met me at my house and we ran for 5 miles, with the run a mile, walk a minute method.  This is how she wanted to run this race this morning!  This run is all about J.J., supporting her (with me just hoping I could keep up!)  And I couldn't wait!

AT 6:30 the alarm went off but I was up before that.  I showered and got ready, had breakfast and waited!  The Old Boy was taking me to the station, he was still thinking whether he may meet us up in London later, the weather for the big smoke was cloudy! I met up with all the other PWR's who were running today!


Just some of the PWR's at Pettswood Station


To say we were excited was an understatement, the talk of how many times we had been to the loo before we even got to the station was on every body's lips!  This is exactly what J.J. needed to hear, she needed to know that we were all 'normal' and get a little 'anxious' before races, even those that have been on tons of races before!  Here is J.J. looking relaxed on the train to London, I think she pulled the look off perfectly! We met up with other PWR's on route!

J.J. Looking relaxed


It' was only a short walk walk to the starting point.  We made 'camp' and while others went to the loo (again) others looked after the bags!  I didn't need to go, nor did J.J., she must be well relaxed now!  It was soon time to go and hand in our bags at the baggage drop!  Some great photos of us all, including this one, the group 1 girls!

Group 1 ladies

What a club we are!

We all emerged again to walk to the starting pens.  We had a mixture of starts, Blacks, Reds, Greens  and Yellows!  Black starts being the faster ones.  Then there were sections in each colour start, A, B or C! But before we entered our starting wave we queued for the loo's again!  You can never have too many 'wee's!'  We took some pictures, as you do a a loo queue.
Me, J.J. Hannah and Paula

Lets all do the Mara!


We all split into our various start waves but I stayed with J.J. Today, this is the only reason I am here, and besides, we run at the same pace anyway!  I wanted to keep her run as much fun as possible, which means photo opportunities, and plenty of them, something for her to remember each section, each part of London we run through. Photos are always a great source of inspiration and smile makers!

In our pens and we waited, it seemed we waited ages before we finally heard "So Yellow Wave, are you ready?"  The cheer from all the 'Yellow' starters went up! "Yes!"  We even had our own theme tune, "Is This The Way to Amarillo"  We were off!  All the excitement, all the anticipation, all the worry forgotten as we start our race, J.J.'s first race and my first Bupa 10k!
J.J. with her 'bum bag' hiding
under her top!
Funnelling through!

We ran towards Admiralty Arch "What's your thoughts?" asked J.J.  Well I was thinking that's for sure, and I was thinking  "The last time I was here I had just finished the 2015 London Marathon"  and now, I am just starting another race!   Once we run through the arch and headed up towards the Strand, the crowds cheering us!

Once we got on the strand I was totally amazed to see that the faster runners, the Black Wave, were already coming back down!  I was totally amazed!  I know we took our time to get through the starting gate but I didn't realise it was that long!  We were totally amazed to see SingstarJo and then Sue running back down the strand (a bit further up the strand though), around about the 7k mark.  I also saw Julia running along too, she has come up from Devon to be here with her family.

There were bands scattered all along the route, the first one was just after Admiralty Arch, drummers, with huge drums!  They sounded fantastic.  We were running along just enjoying the sights and sounds and the atmosphere of London.  We had decided to the run/walk method of getting around.  I was pleased about that, the sun had came out and it was quite warm, it was going to be tough!

The first mile done and we took our first walk.  We were by no means at the back of the pack, we had passed quite a few people, and J.J. hasn't been exactly hanging about!  We were perfectly on time, 11:30 min for the first mile!  But it was warm!  The bands were a great motivator as we ran along each street!

I took these pictures, I can't remember what the street was called, but as you can see from my selfie, we were not the last!  Running up towards the sound of some more drums, I think we will be seeing these guys again on the way back!

Selfie! but not last!

J.J. looking good!


One of the great bands!

Going through the 'business' section of London, all though on this Bank Holiday the only business that is happening is the business of running!  J.J. pointed out where she used to work before they moved to the current position, I'm sure she said that is now in Mayfair!

When we came running along this road, seeing the Shard at the end of the street, rising high over the buildings, well that called for another photo call!

The Shard!


By now though, the run a mile walk for a minute (which was our run/walk method) was out of the window, it was way too hot, it was a good job we had the water station around about two miles (ish)! But we were not worried about getting a good time, J.J. just wanted to finish!  The way she is going, that is a done thing!  She was doing brilliantly.  I was flagging!  My knees were niggling me, and my shins!  What's that all about.  But when I think about it, this Old Girl had done a marathon a few weeks back, plus a PB on Parkrun, followed by the Members 10k, only last weekend!  Well that's my excuse anyway!

Seeing this particular London land mark was good, St Pauls.  My first ever 'Race for Life' the run that set me on my 'running for running sake' was going past St Pauls.  And now 7 years later I am running along side here again!
Do The Mara

I feel I am being watched!


We were on the way back, each step getting us nearer and nearer. The crowds were encouraging us all the way, the charities, the ordinary folk, the bands, it was brilliant.  We still had a mile to do!  I checked my Garmin, mainly because I was curious at just how fast we were running,  I was taken aback as saw the pace!  It was 9:36 m/mi!  "J.J.!" I said "Lets just bring it back a bit"  Although there was only a mile to go, the heat of the morning was doing it's best to knock me out!

 Back on the strand and J.J. was looking at Admiralty Arch, "Oh, we are not going back through there?"  Nope, we were going to be running down Whitehall, past Downing street and towards the Houses of Parliament!  I had to get some photos!

Nelsons Column

Are they in!

Whitehall!


With of course the Houses of Parliament selfie!
Big Ben!


Running back now, towards Buck House, again, the last time I was here I was hobbling along, finishing the London Marathon, and now me and J.J. were finishing the BUPA 10,000! Running all the way!  With just 400 meters to go, J.J. just wanted a bit of a walk.  Good idea, then we can look totally on fire when we run over those mats at the end.  It was only just a very short walk, but once we started running again we were not stopping. When we were running again I heard my name being called out over from the left hand side.  There standing and waving was DiscoRich and Illustrious leader!  A big smile on their faces waving enthusiastically at us.  J.J. was totally in the zone and I had to point them out!

We stayed in the zone and passed 'Minnie Mouse' who apparently had lost 'Mickey' and just kept going.  I looked over at J.J. she was looking confident, happy and I think totally thrilled that she was finishing her first ever race.  The end of the race was looming, I was getting just so excited for J.J. To be here supporting her (and her supporting me) was just brilliant.  It's all nearly done now, as we put a bit of a spurt on towards the end.

I took this picture of her running towards the clocks, which was showing about 18 or so minutes difference to my Garmin, so you can see how long it took us to get through the starting gate!

Go J.J.......Go!!


After collecting our goodie bags we made our way to baggage reclaim, and I saw Brian Page from So Lets go Running who was volunteering at Yellow Baggage today!  We made our way through to 'Meet and Greet' section P and found all the other PWR's. And what better way to celebrate than with a Pimms!  My Official time from the Bupa web site is 1 hour 16 minutes and 26 seconds!

Helen and Moy

Well deserved!

Hannah


Some more Pictures

Me JJ and Paula

Chris and David

Emily and David!

With matching Tee-shirts and medals

SingstarJo, Moy and
Sue, with J.J.

What was J.J. Looking at!


A fabulous time, thoroughly enjoyed it! And I know J.J. did too!  Geeky stats!







No comments:

Post a Comment