Saturday 16 May 2015

ParKRun PB!

Hello blog readers!

I woke up this morning all nice and warm and cosy! I didn't want to get up! But there is something I have been after for three years now!  And laying in bed will not get me it!  I hadn't told anyone that I was going to be at ParkRun this morning, I thought I would leave it as a surprise!  Well, it's just added pressure on myself, because if I really wasn't up for it at least I could just turn over and go back to sleep!

I drove there nice and early just so that I can stay relaxed and have fun! I know there will be tons of PWR's at Normans Park today, it's our local!  Just as I was driving up the road into the park I saw Wendimoo and in true White Van Man style I yelled out "Hello darling!" to her!  Well that was one mate surprised I was there, and now to find the rest!

It wasn't that long, as I pulled up to parkmy car, sitting in the car a few spaces along was J.J. and Jan!  They were surprised to see me too!  We all walked over to the pavilion, pit stop for the loos and then we made our way to the start of the run.  I told the girls that I was going to push myself a bit today, see how I get on!  They were surprised, and I think pleased for me, whereas I was really thinking that they would probably catch me up on route because of going off to fast!

But the conversation on the way over to the start was "Be Positive" "Think positive!" Even when we think something negative then immediately think a positive thought after!  That was going through my mind when we were all waiting for the start!

After the preliminaries had been done, cheers for the 50's 100's and today was also someones 250th park run, we were on the mark.  Auriol had also joined us and she was surprised to see me there too!  Then we were off!  "See you at the finish Donna" I heard them say "Oh is she not running with us then?" said Auriol, but I didn't hear the reply from the other girls, I was too busy concentrating on the job in hand!

I knew I was going off too fast, I knew it, but I just wanted to break from the girls, just in case I was tempted to chat to them along the way.  Anyway, they would probably pass me by anyway! Oops, negative thought!  Positive thought...at least I got up to run this morning!

I tried to ignore the sick feeling in my stomach, that is just way to soon to start feeling that way!  I just need to get my breathing under control, then it will be fine.  It's probably me being too tense as well! And curry and beer!  But, if I puke then so be it! (I just hope I can keep everything where it should be!)

I was going at a steady pace, passing some people, getting passed! But mainly I was totally focused.  Keeping an eye on my Garmin, so that I don't keep up a ridiculous pace for too long, I made steady progress around the course.  I really felt as if I was running faster!  But when I think about it, my last few ParkRuns have been with beginners, or just encouraging people around!  This one is all me!

I seemed to be flying around the course, just following the line of people in front of me. I checked my Garmin, still going according to plan, I was feeling a out of breath, but I kept going.  My right shin was aching slightly, and my knee was niggling, but I feel sure that it's not as bad as it has been, so I think all is recovering well!

The first lap done!  I couldn't believe it, and I was still running pretty well!  That long stretch, with the slight downhill helped enormously!  So now the second lap to do.  I heard a voice behind me as I started along the tarmac path to the river, "Go on Donna!"  It was David, he had his pacer jacket on, and he was pacing 35 m/mi!  Well, if I can keep him behind me then at least I am in with a chance of at least getting in before 35 minutes!

I was beginning to tire a bit, but my enthusiasm seemed to be getting stronger.  "Even if it's just one second under" I thought to myself, "At least then I will know that I can still achieve PB's!" Of course that thought was immediately followed by "Well, Old Girl, you're out runnin and it ainit hurtin'"  It's good stuff that old positive thinking!  I should try to remember to do it all the time!

Now I am the other end of the park, Hook Farm road end.  David passes me!  I can't believe it, I was so wanting to get in before him.  I felt like I was just running out of steam, maybe I did push my self just a little too hard.  After all, that last PB was three years ago!  I am older now!  I'm fifty odd you know!

I carried on running behind David determined not to let him get too far ahead of me.  I was watching him as he ran along, you know, If David was wearing a hoody I would still recognise him from behind just watching him run!  He has his own unique style!  In fact there are a few of our members that have their own style of running, and you can tell them apart from just the way they run.

We passed the first  building on the long straight, I walked a bit to catch breath.  I saw them getting further in front of me, and then I said to my self, "Come on, there is no need to save any more energy, this is it"  I started to pick up the pace again, and started gaining on David!  "Just keep this pace going Old Girl" I thought.

That sick feeling started to come again, I tried to control my breathing, ignore the feeling altogether!  That's the way to deal with that, I have not time for puking, not yet anyway!  I passed him!  I couldn't believe it, and we still hadn't got to the play park! "Sprint finish Donna" David called out to me.  I would be happy just to finish at this pace"

I pushed along towards the park and I spotted another PWR just ahead of me.  It was Dave, he had done our beginners class just gone!  I ran up to him and inching my way, it seemed to take forever!  "Hi Dave" I said as I passed him.  Just the last bit to do now!

This last bit, this bit that runs up to the funnel!  That's all I have to do! I'm passing people now as they walk towards me, they have finished their run, with the funnel in my sights I try to pick up the pace a bit more, sprint finish, all the way in! Yes I did it!  I walked through towards the end to collect my token, remembering to hold out my hand palm up to collect it!

So according to my Garmin and my memory I thought I was at least equal to my fastest time!  I knew it was 33 something, and I really thought it was 33.57.  I know I have had faster 5k's on the track, but that is with me stopping the Garmin, taking that minute break and then running again!  The not knowing is going to drive me nuts until I get my results!

And this is it!

It maybe only a couple of seconds quicker
but records are broken by 100th's of a second!


Here's my geeky stats!

No comments:

Post a Comment