Sunday 3 May 2015

PettsWood Runners Spring Class of 2015

Hello blog lovers

I'm a bit late writing up my blog, but I have just been chilling mainly!  So yesterday, Saturday the 2nd May, saw our PWR graduates complete their assignment.  They only had one assignment during this course, and that is to complete a 5k course.

When they started about 9 weeks ago, there were a few of them that had never even contemplated running 5k before.  There were some that had done some running but life, kids, food, couch got in the way.  I can identify the with the couches!  That was me!....and the life...and the kids....and the food come to that!

I know how difficult it is to stick to something which, at the time you are doing it, you just hate it. It's just too hard, to much time, the regularity of it seems to be just impossible to keep.  Ok, so we all go to work, it is an absolute necessity, we need money to live.  But this whole running lark, well that is different.  Who wants to go out running in the cold, the rain, the snow, the sun and heat....just for fun!? For fun?  Because that is where you need to be.  You need to be running for running sake, for fun, for shits and giggles!

You can run to keep fit....big deal, you get fit, you think your done, you stop, you get unfit!  You can run to do a particular race, to raise money for a cause.  Well, that's where I started, tt's almost where I ended it too.  Once I had done the race I almost went back to couch potato land.  You can run because someone challenged you.  The determination that got you through to getting that gong and showing off your prise to your challenger is short lived, the medal goes in the bottom drawer, and then noone wants to hear your stories.

Where you need to be and what you need to do is to grab hold of that "I actually like this, I am going to run because I can" thought!  That is what is going to keep you running after you have done a course, that is what is going to get you through the "oh mum/dad can you do.......?" and then you say "yeah, when I get back from my run!"  I know there are a few of our graduates that have found that sweet spot, the ones that will have already by now signed up to be a PWR.

There will be some that have signed up just because they need the motivation of an organisation to keep them motivated, I hope when they come along to our Tuesday night sessions they will then find that sweet spot.  Because it is only then that you will come back week after week, month after month!  Running is fun, it needs to stay that way.  From the speedies of our Group 8s to our Group 0's, it has to remain fun!

The thing that I was most impressed with on Saturday, was running along with Tanya.  She has stuck with the course, she has worked extremely hard, she has worried each week about being at the back of the group, yet she has continued to turn up every week, (I think she may have missed one session) and she was there, yesterday, to beat her demon.  I know what it's like being at the back, you really feel like you should quit, give up, go home.  But in PWR we don't like you going around thinking that.  We want all our beginners to get to ParkRun and beyond!

Tanya stuck with it, even with an ache in her hip, she stuck with it!  Now that makes you feel good!  I hope she soon finds the sweet spot.  I hope that somewhere on that ParkRun she has found the love of running, because she can!  Well done Tanya.

I think I have gone on long enough.  We have had such a great success with our beginners course, and I am proud of CoachHels and ZippySherry for getting at least 25 of the original 50 beginners to a timed ParkRun 5k Run.

Well done all who came along, and a huge pat on the back for all the PWR's that came along and supported each week.!
CoachHels, demonstating
arm positions
(how to and not to postion
while running)

Here are some pictures of Spring Beginners 2015, curtesy of Sherry.



The graduates and PWR's

Briefing

It's a bit chilly!

Warm up!





2 comments: