Tuesday 2 June 2015

Club Tuesday! A Windy Day

Hello blog lovers.

Batton down the hatches, lash yourself to the wheel and splice the mainbrace!  It's a windy one! My goodness, what a very windy day!  And the bloomin rain!

Group 0

I wasn't sure what route to take for group 0, this risk assessment malarkey! Do I go through the woods and risk twigs and leaves falling on us from the winds, or shall I stick to the roads, with the possibility of dustbin lids flying at us, or other debris!  

You see, a bit of wind don't stop us runners, very occasionally we have cancelled when its been just to icy out side, but wind? No that wasn't going to stop us.  I sent out the email saying that we would stick to the road.  It took one text message back to bring me to my senses and realise what a silly idea that is when the woods are a much safer, nicer and in fact probably a less windier in the woods, as the (an this is a Wendimoo saying) "The trees break wind"......we we all though it was amusing.

Oh sorry forgot to tell you who was with me today, we had Kim and Wendimoo running today.  Wendimoo is coming back from injury.  She also though that going through the woods would be tons better.  We went in through the usual ally and turned left.  I was taking them up Botany Bay Lane.  Of course there is no getting away from hills.  Even if we do loops around the park, there is a slight incline, make it bigger and the are hills.  The woods are not different!  We just have to learn to love those hills!  I still haven't!

I have noticed that I can run to the top of them now!  I think I will try Goss hill again on Thursday!  Anyway I digress.  Both Wendimoo and Kim attacked the hill, they did well!  We took a break at the house before starting the other half of the hill!  From there it was just along the top of the woods and then back down, but after I took them just a little further along so that we can run past the sundial.

I think Kim is getting used to all these paths and routes as she said to Wendimoo "I think there is a bit of a hill just along here" as we turned right to run along the bridal path after reaching the top of  the hill!

We walked some, we ran some, and then we got to the flat bit by the sign in the woods.  I took them just a little further along till we got to the sundial and then ran past there to rejoin the middle path.

A much needed and welcomed run down all the way to Dog Poo Ally and back to the rec.  Fantastic run, and I'm glad I was persuaded to abandon my risk assessment and head for the woods.!  Wind! What wind?

Geeky stats

Group 1

SingstarJo was leading group 1 today!  This lady is totally on fire lately, Every time I switch on the computer she has smashed a PB, she has done this run, she has done that run!  Totally having having fun with races!  It's just brill to see!  Her next race is Saturday, The Harvel 5, which I will be joining her as well as a huge group of other PWR's.

Again I digress! So SingstarJo had this lovely route planned, Southborough, Blackbrook and finish off by going through Jubilee Park, over the bridge and then out of Little Thrift and back to the rec.  It will soon be time to keep all our running in the woods, but for now we just have to have little bits of the lighter parts of the woods and parks.  

I remember doing this route before.  On a Thursday when I didn't have any other group 1 runners, so I went along with DiscoRich and his crew (group 2's and 3s).  DiscoRich said they would do loop backs so that I wouldn't be running by myself! That time the route was in the opposite direction, and when we got to Blackbrook Lane I said to DiscoRich that his group was just way to fast, and I couldn't keep up, so I would continue on my own back to the rec.  That's how I know it was about 4 miles!  

Still, I know we can do it, we have done 4 miles with in the allocated time before in group 1.  We were running along Hazlemere, Great Thrift and on to Woodside, me and Illustrious Leader were sweeping,  Tendai was struggling a little, and we fell a little behind the main group.  Illustrious Leader was just up ahead encouraging DottieKat along who was also behind the main group.  It's the hills that does us!  Hills try and stop us in our tracks, but we plodded along and kept going.

Tendai hadn't been running for a a few weeks, so I suggested that if she wants I could take her via Jubilee park first and then run on to meet the main group along Blackbrook lane and then we can turn around and run along with them.  It seemed a great alternative, and we will actually get to run through the park twice!

I suggested this SingstarJo and I said that we will see her on route!  DottieKat also wanted to do the slightly shorter route too, so the three of us turned right on to Crestview Drive while the main group ran down Southborough Lane.  We ran along at our own pace, I think I was feeling fortunate that I was getting to run through the park twice instead of inhaling car fumes along the main road!

We ran all the way down to Blackbrook Lane and saw group 2 running up Thornet Wood lane.  They must have come up from Summer Hill! We turned left to start our run towards our group 1.  I said that as soon as we see them, we take a quick break and then do a U turn and start our run back to the rec.  We didn't get to far up the lane when we saw them, we took a short break and then I said "Run away, run away!" and we started running back to where we come.  

We got to Thornet Wood Lane again and carried on running, we then heard a call from the main group, we noticed that they were taking a catchup stop, so we took a break too.  Just then group 3 came from around the corner, also they also must have come up Summer Hill!  I think I am so glad that I am in Group 1.

As soon as our main group started running we ran as well.  They caught us up just as we got passed the Hotel and along the main path to Jubilee Park.  Tendai had, by now got into her zone and kept up with the main group as they ran through the park and back to the rec.  DottieKat was struggling with some niggling aches!  It's such a nuisance when your body starts to complain, because usually that is all it is!  It's just like my old body, my legs and shins and feet!  My feet! Well one in particular, cramping up!  Why is that tut.  I just stretched it out and carried on!

Anyway, we all got back to the rec, and I think everyone had a great run!  Group 1, those who ran with SingstarJo ran 3.95 miles and us in the breakaway group did 3.65 miles! So only just a little shorter!  

Geeky stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment