Saturday 6 June 2015

Harvel Five Mile Run - 2015 4.18

Hello blog lovers.

Today was the last race in my clubs Grand Prix.  I really love taking part in this event,  and it's good that maybe, after todays race, some of the group 1 will be up for it!  This run is just so relaxed and friendly, and it is not that far to run in the gist of things!  As I said some of my running buddies in group 1 were taking part in this race too, I also know that they have also taken part in a couple of other events that are part of our Grand Prix (all though they probably didn't realise it)! But it is good that some of the others are on board, not that I am being competitive or anything,...no, honest really!  I just love this run!

Hels SingstarJo and me


SingstarJo was driving tthere, she picked up me, Hels and Jan and we headed to Meopham, where the race begins. We parked the car walked up to the village hall to use the loo. J just outside the hall is this wooden seat carved from a tree.  aA great first of my photo shots!  The race head quarters is on the green, Havel green, and there is such a great friendly, party type atmosphere going on.  With ice cream vans, cake stalls, burgers, and of course beer tents! I took a couple of pictures of the PWR's as they chilled before the race. here look

The Gang

More of the Gang


It was soon time to take the short walk to the start, just a very short walk up the road.  I remembered the last time I did this race, although I was started off with my running buddies, for most of the run I was by myself once they found their zone. Of course there was all the other runners, but no-one that I knew that I  ran along with.  However, today J.J. was running with me, she managed to get a last minute entry from one of the other PWR ladies.

Just some of our runners that ran
(others were in the loo queue!)


The Hash Harriers sure do no how to have fun, because of this! This amused me big time!  They decorated the portaloos, they had a competition to see which designer of each loo won a prize!  Fantastic!

From left to right,
The stink hole, the steamer, ?, the Sheik and the Skid Lid


We started our run from the back, just so that we don't get caught up in the rush!  J.J. and I started out over the mats at a nice steady pace.  The weather was just perfect, perfect for those sat back at the green waiting, it really was quite warm!  I was looking forward to getting to the shaded area in the woods.

With every step however, I could feel 'aches' in my shins, my right shin in particular.  I know I do run more heavily on the right side, but my left shin does have a very slight ache too.  I was beginning to think that I should start listening to my own advice that I give to people!  And also to listen to all other people that have said that resting after a marathon is essential!

But I so do love this race, in fact I just so do love running end of!  But I think I really do need to give this old body of mine a break!  Anyway, the first mile and a bit is on the road, the sun was beating down and the breeze that kept us cool on the green seems to have stopped or maybe even stayed on the green when really it is now that we need it!

The marshals were all very enthusiastic and encouraged us along our way.  The woody part of the run was a welcome relief from the sunshine, but I was totally amazed that already we could hear the marshal, just to the left of us, on another path saying "Runners coming!" as he called out for people along the path to make way!  That was just amazing!  They could be finished in 20 odd minutes!

Me and J.J. just took our time, I felt at though that I was holding her back, as I had to take a walking break....again.... But J.J. was quite happy to plod along.  This is her second race, and it was just lovely to be running with her.

There was to be two water stations or beer stations, which ever you fancied having, on this race.  We were half way round before we came to the first water station!  Boy was I looking forward to a nice glass of....water!  I know, it's unusual that I had the water!, If there is beer to be had, then I would normally be in there in front, but I am also aware, that it was blooming warm and I was still only half way round, I thought I would be sensible.
Half way 

We had our drink and then continued on our way, and if I am not mistaken we seemed to pass by a pub! There seemed to be quite a lot of people sitting outside enjoying beer cheering us all on!  J.J. got right into the spirit "Half way, yay!!" she called out as her hands raised in the air in excitement! That bought about another rousing cheer!
A gratuitous selfie

On the way round we were chatting to another runner, he was using us a pacing.  He ran to us, over took us then we over took him, each time chatting.  On the way up to the third mile marker we started to chat to young lady who only had been running for a couple of months, "There's the 3 mile sign" she said.  I encouraged her to run up to it "It's tradition, always run up to the markers"  I said.  It's something that I have done, it's my tradition really.  I always feel like I need to run the last bit of any mile!  Just like running the last bit of a hill! (again a tradition of mine)

And talking of hills!  The cheeky little blighter of a hill was about three quarters of a mile from the third marker!  I hadn't forgotten about that I knew it was coming up, but it is such a steep and short little hill, I just tried to ignore it! But I just couldn't run the last bit of it!

We were soon running the last mile but before that there was another water stop, "Water, beer?" asked the marshal, "No, just water please" said J.J.  "Does anyone actually have the beer?" she asked and then she turned around and looked at me just as I was sipping my beer!  Well, there is only one more mile to go" I said with a smile!

I'm not sure if it was my imagination or not but we did seem to pick up the pace slightly as we hit the road back.  That mile seemed to disappear quite quickly, I was looking forward to getting a nice cool beer at the end!  With the village green in sight J.J. seemed to find 'that extra bit' that is always left over as she stepped up a gear, I kept pace with her, maybe we could have a little bit of a race, just me and her as we head for the finishing mats.  Of course I didn't tell her.......she may have even gone faster!

Just a few yards left and she stepped it up another gear!  "Where did she find that?" I thought to myself, I stepped up a gear as I tried to keep pace with her.  Her legs seemed like that had all of a sudden grown about a foot as she sprinted to the mats, my little legs just wouldn't stretch out that far as I pushed to try and keep side by side with her!  She just touched the mats just half a second or so before me!  A good race! Although she didn't know!

And the Bling!  Its useful too! It's a bottle open!
Now where's me beer!


My legs were ok, but I can feel that they really need a break!  So I am going to take all the advice I hear and what I give out and I am going to have a break from any exercises!  Maybe I cant start writing a novel!  But whatever I do, I feel it is best I take a break, just for a week or two!

I have just looked back at my last Harvel 5 and I am a lot slower than I was back then!  I deffo need a break!  Get my head together, and start all over again!

Geeky stats, and J.J.'s and my official result in the Harvel 5 is.....  1:04:08, both of us, but my time is under J.J.'s time, as it should be!






No comments:

Post a Comment