Thursday 9 July 2015

The Failed Escape!

Hello bloggers.

Another 'in the mind of a lone runner' style blog today.

It was a perfect sunny morning, I wondered if this would be the day. If this would be the day that freedom is possible.  I had planned everything carefully, making sure that no-one detected my plans.  My captors had left for the day, leaving me with only the usual chores to do, 'to keep me busy'.  It will soon be time!

As soon as I was completely alone I started to get things ready for my escape. Watch, to syncronise everthing, phone, for 'just in case', fast running shoes, with my running pants and tee-shirt, I wasn't planning on stopping for anyone! I grabbed my hat,  I needed to be able to blend in with anyone that I may meet upon!

I grabbed the keys to the car and made the first part of my escape. I drove along to Willet rec, a place where I knew I could safely ditch the car and carry on the rest of my escape plan on foot.  I tried to mingle with some other people that had managed to escape this far as well, but they had all planned to follow the leader, DiscoRich.  I thought about it for a split second, could I possibly manage to run with the crowd?.  There was so many of them, they would draw attention to themselves.  Could I risk it?  They all looked a lot fitter and faster than I me.  I decided I would try it on my own.

I said good luck to them all as they went one way and I went the other, in the opposite direction.  I set my watch, I have less than an hour to make my escape, any time after that and I will have to abandon my plans and go back, and try to get fit for another attempt. 

I came out of the rec and immediately saw that we all had been noticed!  A big yellow sign was on the lamppost warning of escapees "Runners in Road" it read, high on the lamppost.  Darn it, I will just have to go through the woods.  I ran to Poo Ally, I slowed down as I saw 'guards' there with the dogs.  "Try to blend in, don't show you're nervous" I thought, as I walked past the guards and the dogs! "Morning" I said "Morning" they replied.  I did it, they didn't suspect a thing.

There were more 'guards in the tunnel, a walked past them so as to not get the dogs excited, as soon as I was through I ran to the left and headed towards to rail station.  Maybe I can get a train, to take me far away, to be able to run and be free for ever!  Just then I saw a 'guard' coming from a path on the right, I picked up my speed at bit, I felt safe to do that as there was no dog around, well none that I could see. 

That was close! But in my haste I had passed the bridge that would have taken me to the station.  I am just going to have to continue through the woods, along by the rail lines.  Oh it felt so good, the fresh air, the ever so slight breeze.  The sun was just warming up the air temperature, promising a fine dry day!  Why would people be crammed into concrete boxes making money for 'The Man!'  One day we will all be free to do what we love to do, usually when we are around 65!



There were yet more 'guards' along the path by the rail lines.  I had to walk!  Two very big dogs with the guards.  I was sweating a bit now, I just hoped I still blended in, that I still looked like any other worker!  I felt as if I was losing my battle.  I ran down the path towards the river, maybe if I dart along the path to the left I can make my way to the next train station, Chislehurst.  

I ran along the river, listening to the water gently running down.  I smiled to myself as ran along, oh its so perfect, so peaceful.  The birds singing their song in the trees, squirrels playing and scurrying about.  It just felt so good, you could almost imagine a unicorn appearing from the field to come and and be petted!  This is what it's all about!

There was a guard along here with four dogs, four of them, bringing me back out of 'the zone'!  How will I get by? They seemed to be taking up the whole of the path.  I slowed down to a walk, said good morning to the 'guard' and gently got by two of the dogs.  The other two just seemed to stand in front of me on the path, not moving.  

A particularly nasty looking pug, that you know, if he wasn't bred with a face like that, he would have earned it in his field of work!  He wasn't backing down for anyone!  The Guard had called him back, though, even apologising for the mutt being in my way.  At least I had fooled her!  But I began to feel as if my escape plan was futile!

I came to the end of the path, but the path on the left hand side had a 'guard' at the entrance, there was only one way to go, up!  Up Goss hill, maybe I can still get away!  The hill seemed to grow in front of me, as I looked up "I have got to do this in one go"  I said to my self!  Maybe that will be enough to blend in, look like the retired people! Look like one of the guards"

I took a deep breath in and started up the hill!  A guard was coming down with a dog!  I can't stop and walk past, I just can't. I got to go for it all the way up and hope I get away!  It was tough going, my legs were burning and my breathing was going out of the window!  I tried to control my breathing, I kept telling myself that I could do this!  But I failed. I took at walking break, I was panting hard, I looked more like one of the dogs than the 'guards'!  I gave myself a telling off and I started up the hill again.  This time I didn't stop, I wasn't going to stop until I reached the top!

I felt like doing the 'Rocky' dance when I looked back down the hill, but then I remembered that I had just that one little stop!  No, no 'Rocky' dance for me this time!  I headed along the thin path, I hoped I wouldn't meet any 'guards' along here, it's too narrow, and by now I know that I look like an escapee!  I will be detected.

Emerging from the path I ran up Botany Bay Lane, "I could get to the road, try and get a bus or hitch a lift to freedom!  Just then another 'guard' appeared.  "That's it, I'm doomed" I thought, I walked up to her, looking as nonchalant as I could, but the dogs could tell something was wrong, they came up to me and sniffed me, and licked my hands.  The little one jumped up and put its paws on my legs.  I was so surprised when the guard let me go on my way!  Maybe I can do this!  Maybe I am a good actor and won't get caught.



I decided to play it safe and not try to go on to the roads, stick to the woods, I think the longer I am in here the better.  I turned right to run along the back of the school.  I was running along enjoying the sounds of the animals and birds, but then the sounds of the kids playing in the school fields brought me back, I felt sorry for them, as they are in the 'system', they are being taught how to make money for 'The Man!"  Maybe seeing me will give them hope! One day they can run free!  

Run free! What a thought!  I still got some way to go!  I got to the Board in the middle of the woods.  It was then that I started to wonder "The 'guards' and the dogs, were they herding me, is it possible that they have been in control all the time?!  I shook that thought from my head, it's not possible!  I was choosing which way to go, not them!  I ran along the top of the woods and then took the left path, running along side the road.  

The Wardens block is down here! Oh no!  I think they have been in control!  But how? I ran past the block, it was empty, not even the chief Warden was around, they must all be out looking for escapees.  I felt hopeless, with one last attempt to escape I ran down the side of the rail lines again, just in front of me two Guards with dogs just nipped into a less used path, maybe they were planning an ambush!

I ran quickly past them, hoping they were still getting in position for them to notice me go past, the last push now, have I made it?!  Is freedom just around the corner!?  I came back through Poo Ally and there was the chief guard, two dogs by her side, big dogs.  I can't run past these.  I will try my usual tactics of letting the dogs sniff at me.  The white one looked a little timid "Does he liked to be petted?" I said, he he pulled away, so I decided not to touch it, then the black one come bounding towards me, "Does this one?" I said,  as the dog was pulling at its leash!  It made a lunge for my hand, and nipped at it, just catching my knuckle!  Caught!  Life had found me again!  There is just no getting away from it.......yet!  I ran back towards my car which was parked in the rec, on the way I collected the yellow sign, warning of 'Runners in Road' At least thay may help on the next attempt.


I had waited to see if the others had made it. But DiscoRich and the others came back into the rec looking exhausted!  We stretched out our aching limbs and chatted about the route we took.  And then we made plans for our next escape!

Geeky stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment