Thursday 6 August 2015

A Splendid Day!

Hello blog lovers.

When I woke up this morning I thought it was going to be a miserable day.  It was particularly bright out and it looked like it was going to rain.  I thought to myself that kids just wouldn't be willing to go to the rec today, their mums and dads would be under too much pressure to NOT bring them to the rec while they go running.

But come they did!  It was good to see.  There were a couple of children that wasn't here this week that was here last week, plus we had some new kids.  After registration and name tags placed on the kids, 10 in all, it was time for the warm ups. Apparently the 'butt kicks' was a particular favourite for one of our younger athletes as she was in hysterics!  At least they are all finding it fun.

The rain seemed to have stopped, it was only that heavy mist type of rain anyway,  it makes it a much more fun thing to do.  So our games, well we had football dribbling, basketball dribbling, pyramids and the magpie game.  The red team won again this week, but the blue team did win one of the races I am glad to report.

But also this week I introduced a 'Single Race'  The Team leaders, each chose their faster runner to compete against each other around a short loop.  Next time they will choose their slowest runner to compete against each other! and then the middling runner!  Just for added fun, and healthy competition.

I don't know about anybody else, but I do like a bit of healthy competition!  Winners and loses, it's the way things work, mind you I was mixing up the groups a bit today mainly because there were more Red team members this week, and also a slight 'adjustment' needed to help try and keep everything equal, when I swapped one more team member with another team member!  Well I have to try and keep team morale up!

The Red team did win again this week, so I am going to just swap the teams about for now, and who knows, I may just swap more members as the holidays continue, see who else turns up!

Core Training Session

There was a good turn out for the last structured session of the year (after this week we all turn up and just take turns in leading a session, as quite a few leaders go on holiday!) There were at least 20 of us, a great number, and we looked brill running around the field!  

DiscoRich was taking the session today, and the session was going to be the same as it was last week. Only the pyramid running was slightly longer than last week. Well actually when I say slightly longer, the first cone DiscoRich placed was probably in the same position as where Illustrious placed her second cone last week!  So the third cone was virtually out side on the road!  We could have ordered a kebab and had it picked up at the end of the session!

But we all did well, and for once I wasn't in the team that came last!  I usually do put the brakes on team and relay races, but today I must have been in a team of faster runners!

With the core training we were doing more planking!  But again DiscoRich added an extra little challenge.  While we were in the plank position we had to lift up one foot and move it to the side, then replace it and do the same with the next foot, all while keeping the plank position!  I think I managed to raise and move my foot about a cm!

Next was the relays, a favourite running exercises for everyone.  Run as hard as you can because half way round the rec you get a rest while you hand the baton to your team mate to continue!  I think I must have done two laps in the time we had.  Not bad!  Then it was just time for a stretch before going home!

A great session this evening, but I should have worked just that little bit harder!  Next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment