Tuesday 27 October 2015

Club Runs - Love Em!

Hello blog lovers.

I do love my club runs, and running group 0 is an absolute pleasure!  Watching people just push themselves, seeing them realise that they are achieving their goals!  And today was a particularly great moment.

In group 0 today there was only Jenny, so I decided to do the route I had planned last week.  It's a nice flatish route and a great route for just practising your speed on.  We haven't done that yet with the latest members of group 0, so it's a nice change.  It's always good to 'mix things up' a bit.

So after a warm up couple of skips and karaokas and jogging along the path, we went out.  Just nice and easy at first and build the speed up slow and steady.  Now Jenny has these long legs!  Mine are a lot shorter.  Even walking I am doing ten to the dozen trying to keep up with her!  But we kept it going!

There was no stopping on this run, no slowing down, if we not running then we were power walking!  You can imagine what I looked like trying to keep up walking with those long strides Jenny was doing!  I was pleased that I picked a nice flat route!

I think Jenny was really working hard, she had a determined look on her face all the way round.  Even when we were power walking it was with steely determination, arms swinging!  God help anyway in her way!

The last stretch of the road she really went for it, as soon as we came under the bridge on Tudor way we flew up the road.  I was running along beside her encouraging her all the way, her long stride seemed to eat up the pavement.  I heard her let out a little groan, "Come on, just to the end  of this pavement, just where that car is coming out"  And she pushed herself just a little bit more to get to the road.

With just a little further to go, we took it nice and steady, slow the heartbeat down slowly!  We got to the gate and went in.  We walked a little bit and then did our stretches!  A fabulous run, and what was even better was that Jenny was still smiling!

Here's the geeky stats.


Group 1

Illustrious Leader was leading group 1 today. I was feeling pretty good, even though I did push a little harder today, but it's always good to try to extend yourself!  So our route was a favourite of mind, a nice simple rout, with a gradual up hill for the first half and then a brilliant down hills for the second.

Of course I was sweeping at the back with the usual gang, J.J. Janet, Auriol and Paula!  We all love our Tuesday club runs, chatting and having a laugh. me, J.J.  Janet and Auriol are doing the Brighton 10k next month, as well as about 100 others from PWR's, I am so looking forward to that.  We were talking about it and Paula wished that she had put her name down!  There is always next year.

After all the announcements were said we all left the rec to run with our group buddies.  Oh I so love running with this lot!  It's brilliant!  We ran down Crossways and Tudor way, our first stop was to be at the off license.  

We had a quick stop there, well it was a quick stop for me and the other back stoppers the front runners had a bit longer!  Then it was back to it, all through the estate.  The faster runners with extra energy we sent around the green to run off a bit of steam, while us chatting and sweeping at the back ran along the side.  

It was just at the end of this bit that I had this awful 'thing' happen in my right calf!  I have had problems with it for a couple of weeks now.  If I am going to get cramp it will be in that leg, for no reason whatsoever.  I can wake up just in time to stop it from cramping up and hurting me!  But this felt most peculiar.  It felt like a little elastic had broken and it snapped back, but it felt like it snapped and twisted and turned through my calves!  Most peculiar.  

Fortunately I was just slowing down at the time as I felt like it was just about to cramp up!  It hurt quite bad for just a minute or two and I thought I wouldn't be able to even get back home, but just as quickly it came it eased off to just a dull ache.  I could even run a little bit, after a fashion. But I didn't push it.  I walk some and ran some.  Janet stayed back with me and we chatted and walked and ran when I could as far as the Off License again.

After a little break we continued our way, but I told Illustrious Leader that I would continue down Crofton Road, J.J. Janet, Sara and Auriol  decided to come with me while the rest of the group went with along to Beaumont Road and St Johns.

We ran/hobbled all the way to the rec, but as we got to St. Johns Road we saw the rest of our group come running out of the there.  I am not quite sure if it is longer to go down St, Johns or not, but I do know there it is a more undulating way.  I think I made the right decision!

Even though I managed to do this bloomin thing with my calf I was still so pleased to be able to get out and run with my friends!  Love this club, I really do!

Geeky stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment