Thursday 15 October 2015

Hello My Beautiful Woods!

Hello blog lovers.

What a lovely day! Well, actually it was raining slightly, but lovely for the fact that I went running through the woods with my buddies!  Yes, thats right, finally a a Thursday that I am not running on a Thursday morning by myself!

It was all arranged on Facebook last night, who would be meeting up, and what groups, pace and distance it will be.  DiscoRich's group usually run quite fast, compared to me anyway.  They also do about 5 miles within the hour.  I usually run about 3.5 to 4 miles within the hour, depending on fitness level!  There was to be a couple of new Thursday morning runners with us too, so we decided to all have coffee or smoothies at Saint's & Sinners after!  A perfect Thursday morning.

So I made sure I got out in plenty of time to be at the rec.  It's been a while since I lead a Thursday morning group, and from last nights messages there is also going to be a few people who normally run in group 2 and 3 running with little ole me!  I just hope they enjoy it, and it's not too slow for them.

I locked my bike up and I noticed an elderly lady waiting by the tennis courts.  I said good morning to her, and then she waved at someone near the pavilion. I looked over and I could see who she was waving to and I could see the PWR's gathered in the carpark. I walked over to meet them.  I approached the Pavilion and the lady who had bee waved out waited till I came off the path.  She said to me "I can't see any of my lot here yet!"  and then she saw her friend who I pointed out to her!

It made me smile and fill me with hope for myself in the future, that these two will be playing tennis. One that can just about see her friend  about two tennis courts away, and shuffling along the path!  If they can still do that then by Jove I will be running until they tie me down!

It made me slightly less worried about running with the faster ladies today!  After all, we are all her because we just love doing what we do!  I was quite surprised to see how many actually was going to going with me.  Six including me!  I think my group even rivalled DiscoRiches!  I had to routes planned, the woods, which I really, really wanted to do or the three parks, which is ok, but it's not the woods.

Everyone chose the woods.  We set off all eagerly chatting with me at the front!  But that wont be for the whole run!  I usually lead from the back!  I really am trying to get faster, but for me just getting out and doing what I am doing is keeping me sane at the moment!  We went into the woods via Dog Poo Ally, and turned left.  It was along here that my group started to slowly get in front of me. "Keep going left" I told them as they come to the first fork in the path.

We ran all the way to the walk over bridge where we took a little breather, mainly for me!  I told them which way we were going, and then said instead of waiting if they get too far in front of e then they could do a u-turn and run back to me!  Thats what I do with my runners in group 0, it just keeps the legs moving.  I told them that we were going to run along by the river before heading up Goss Hill.  Do I not like hills!  And yet, I chose to put the steepest hill into our route this morning!  I can only blame in on the fact that I must have forgotten, as it's been so long since I have been in the woods.

While we running up this hill there was a loud 'crack!'  I looked to my left and saw the birds fly up.  I guess they had heard that sound quite a few times!  I couln't believe that someone would be shooting here though, it's a little too close to the houses!  But then there was some more cracking, and more, and the tree started to move. the cracking got louder as the tree fell over!  Do people not shout "Timber" anymore!  I didn't hear it if they did.  I carried on trying to run up this hill.

The girls just seemed to eat the hill!  I could only wish they did, I really struggled to run up here.  I ran a couple of steps, and the walked some, ran a couple of steps and walked some.  I was walking just on the last bend when I saw Sacha coming back down to encourage me up the hill!  Now that is dedication!  She even had the broadest smile on her face!  I can say that really did help me up the hill and I ran up the last bit with her.

I metaphorically collapsed at the top (had it not been raining I may just had done it for really) while I got my breath back and then we carried on along the path behind the school.  They waited at the end of the path to find out which way we were going. Then started along Botany Bay Lane to the bridle path where we turned right.

The lovely group of ladies.


Just a couple more little hills to do and then we start our gently descent.  It's not as if if notices much, to be able to enjoy the feeling of the down hill, but it may feel like it on our legs.  I wasn't quite sure of our distance either, some of us had lost satellites at some point in the woods, but we were found again!  Those last two little hills were telling!  My legs were not happy with me at all, my back started to remind me of why I took enforced rest as well, and not only that but some cramp like feeling was happening in my left hip!

Hmm!  Now whats that all about?  Is t because it's different terrain and I haven't been running through the woods for a while? Is it me just getting old, or maybe my body is adjusting to my new shoes!?  I decided to ignore it, well we still had at least three quarters of a mile to do anyway!  My group of ladies all were running in front of me, and always one of them staying with me to chat!

The run along to the woodsmans house I kept up with them all, and we took a little break just outside the woodmans lodge, maybe get a peak at him again!  It was probably quite sure that wasn't going to happen because the tree coming down early could well be his handiwork.  Oh well, I still needed to catch my breath!

We we soon running down towards the ally way, the last path, our run in the woods was nearly over.  I had such a lovely time in there, I really didn't want it to stop. I started to regret about not going a little further, taking a couple of other zig zagging paths around the woods, but I guess I couldn't actually kidnap my group, especially as they all do run faster than me!

Out of the tunnel and we ran back to the rec to do some stretching.  Our shoes (especially my new shoes) weren't as muddy as I thought they may have been at the end!  We made our plans to meet at the cafe for coffee, smoothies and cakes!

A great run, thoroughly enjoyed it!  I and just hoped I wasn't too slow for my group of ladies today!

No comments:

Post a Comment