Tuesday 24 November 2015

Club Night - Group 0

Hello blog lovers.

Wow! Group 0 tonight seems to have swelled by a few a couple more people!  There were 10 happy runners happy runners to put through their paces with the lovely ladies J.J. and Wendimoo to help sweep and even take lead!

I had already put on to the FaceBook page the route that we would be doing.  I tad over 3 miles it showed on Plotaroute.  Totally doable for all our group 0's.  Of course there are the undulations, but I was going to get most of those out of the way in one sweep as we run along Hazelmere and Great Thrift etc to Petts Wood Memorial Hall, so hopefully after that they probably wouldn't notice the other slight ones that we had to do.

So there I was, in my role as Leader of Group 0, standing in front of all the other PWR's giving out my briefing of our route.  I find this totally surreal! Me, standing out in the front doing a briefing!  It seems way to important for little old me.  I was always in awe of the leaders, how they kept everyone together, kept the chat going, pace and working out different routes.  And to be honest, being their is the most scariest thing, more scary than actually running the group!

I think I gave my briefing so that everyone kind of understood where were were heading, and how far it was going to be.  All I had to do was to remember it myself as I run along.  I took the lead (of course I did, I really am a leader now, gulp!) we ran out of the gate and turned left towards Hazlemere.  The little undulations I spoke of begins.

The ladies at the front with me were chatting quite well, and then the incline started, they seemed to have they were less chatty but still running quite well, I took a side step so that I could see how the back were doing and I could see we were starting to stretch out, I checked my Garmin (I had remembered to turn the thing on today) I could see that we were running at group 1 pace, not only that but we were running up hill!

I turned to look at the ladies who were just a bit in front of me and just pulled them back at, just to slow the pace down to group 0 pace.  I was thinking that maybe I had a couple of ringers in my group!  But I think they, like most people, just wanted to get the hill out of the way.  But that is not the way, not today anyway.  Maybe one day hill training, maybe! But definitely not today.

Trip Trap Trip Trap!
After that we all kept together mostly.  We had a little break at the memorial hall as everyone did really well for that first up hill mile, a little break for a catchup was indeed earned!  We walked for a couple of 'lampposts' then continued our running, 'Trip, trap, trip, trap' over the walking bridge and on to the high street.  I asked Wendimoo if she would take the lead after I gave her the route, and I took the middle section and J.J. swept at the back.

We continued to run to top Oxhawth and then ran down there to the crossroads.  We were turning left to run along there to to Shepperton.  It seems really good that we are on the way back now.  Everyone was doing really well.  After that first mile everyone was warmed up nicely and the group kept together just perfectly.  We so good to see them all doing their thing, getting fitter!  I feel sure that group 0 will be getting smaller as the weeks continue, until the next beginners group at least!

We ran all the up Shepperton, just the last tiny little incline and then turned left to run to the roundabout.  We crossed over to run the last to straight roads to the rec.  Illustrious Leader was good leader and I learnt a lot from her, so just as she has always done, I sent the faster runners off with Wendimoo to the rec, and told J.J. that she could run along with them while I swept up behind.

A brill second leadership role, a brill run with some lovely people!  And look, geeky stats!  Why it has gone all zigzaggy in places I have no idea, I know I did run back and forth just a couple of times, but still!  Anyway, here you are

No comments:

Post a Comment