Sunday 3 January 2016

Train Run - 2015

Hello Blog lovers.

My first run in 2016, so my longest run of the year so far! I like that.  It was also the wettest, and muddiest!  It was train run time!  Running with my fabulous running buddies doing the annual Train Run from Knockholt/Sevenoaks to Petts Wood.  For some reason we had to travel from Orpington due to some sort of track maintenance and I was so pleased that the Old Boy said he could drop me off there!

The crowd grew and grew as we waited for the train, the usual queueing for the loos before getting on the train, and that included me.  I don't know what it is, but things like this just sends signals to my bladder to 'get ride of everything!'  Not usually on a Tuesday evening run, or a Thursday morning run!  Strange! We piled on the train taking up the whole carriage, here this is us!
Everybody!

Jenny In the purple

Illustrious leader, second left


The buzz was brilliant, chatting and laughing, on a wet morning on a train at 9 in the morning!  Have you ever heard it happening on a commute into London Monday mornings?!  No, I don't think so!

It didn't take long for us to get to Knockholt, only a couple of stops, so we really didn't even get warm and cosy, and not feel like getting off! It seemed there was a record number of PWR's today getting off at the Knockholt stop this year.  I am sure it is over half of the runners that met at Orpington train station!  I am sure its usually the other way around.  In our group there are quite a few 'debut' Train Runners, including Jenny from group 0!  This really is a just 'come along for the ride......ok....run and have some fun' style run.  It's an introduction to cross country running and also a great way to 'test' the waters for any races that may take your fancy!  If you can do this run then you can do any of the Grand Prix events!

Here's a picture of the Knockholt Crew!
The Knockholt Crew


There were going to be two groups but were will be breaking away after about 2 and half miles, so for now about 40 of us snaked our way out of the station and along London Road, lead by Illustrious leader with SingstarJo running along at the back with us.  Crazy eh!  Most people who are able to stay in bed, under the duvet would still have been there.  Some may even have got up and got ready for church (I said my prayers as I ran along!) But here we all were out in the rain, in the middle of winter, albeit a mild one so far, running for fun!  I smiled as I remembered what the Old Boy said to me this morning when the alarm went off "Stupid idea!, its raining"  Oh don't worry, he says it about his own 'fun days out" as well, getting up while it's still dark to go fishing, in a boat, in the middle of the sea...... ok a few miles from shore.......with his friends!  Rain or shine, he still goes!

The run along the A21 was soon over and then it was time to go cross country, a path way through the housing estate, not quite off road but compared to running along the A21, tons better.  At least we probably wouldn't come across any 'free range swine' going this way! (News in yesterday that pigs had escaped and closed the A21 for 5 hours!)  Jenny was smiling, even with the rain, she looked quite determined.  I was sure she would be quite surprised when sees just how good this run is to do, and totally thrilled that she had done it!  But for now the miles won't even notice, mainly because of the struggling up the hills! But shhhh we don't talk about the hills!

See, we were running!


I had forgotten just how much I like running this route!  Yes it's tough and of course it's early morning, and I have to miss church, but I do like running this route.  I was looking forward to the running across the field, that would be interesting!

I was at the back of the group with SingstarJo, Jo, Auriol and Jenny.  We all just ran along with a bit of walking as well.  It was soon time to break again into two groups.  SingstarJo took the breakaway faster group just after we got to Green Street Green, up the hill, up Old Hill!  A horrendous hill! Very slippy, through the woods along the bridle path. But I think that is the last of the horrendous hills, just some undulations after that!  We took another catchup (we already had one early)  in the middle of the field, which was the top of the hill, about 3 miles in.  This is us....



I told Jenny just how far she had gone, she said "Oh don't tell me!" I think she didn't really want to know how far there was to go!  But the fact was, it didn't feel as if we had already done 3 miles, with less than a Parkrun to do!  The miles seem to have disappeared, been eaten up by us, and we were still there smiling!

To me these last couple or so miles seem to fly by.  Jenny was starting to feel it after the next mile. I just kept her spirits up and we chatted and ran side by side.  Running on the roads through the housing estate didn't seem that far.  By about 4 and half miles we were back into the paths. You gotta love our area!  Busy roads, housing estates, and then country side, winding paths and open air!  All within half hour of the big smoke (London)!

By the time we got to the Cinder Path we again a broke into yet two more smaller groups.  Illustrious leader taking he sedate running back the last mile and me run/walk at group 0 pace till we get to Saints and Sinners, and let me tell you, I am going to be a complete sinner, I will be having cake, and a big cup of Mocha coffee!  Healthy life style starts tomorrow!

So for the last little bit back to Petts Wood high street, we just enjoyed the rest of the run, using the lamppost system to keep us motivated.  We caught up with Auriol along Tudor way and we three finished the course together.  Back at Saints and Sinners for that nice little treat!

Now, he is a little anecdote. Saint's and Sinners were not expected about 15 or so hot, wet, sweaty ravenous and thirsty people to patron their establishment this morning.  And I do believe they were a bit inundated with orders of coffee, cakes smoothies and like.  It seemed we were waiting ages for them to take the order,  take the money, fill the order, and then serve the order.  There more people arriving as SingstarJo's breakaway group (who actually did a couple of extra miles as well!) started to come through the door, as well as regular customers and a trio of cyclists.  Our very own Heleana decided that enough was enough and then said to the two lads that were working to just do what they could do and she would serve the tea and cakes!

We were absolutely astounded, but they got on with it, "Who's the tea with cake?" called out Heleana and she served the rest of the Knockholt crew, as she gave out orders to the two guys working!  What a great time we had in that cafe!  These are the two guys who were serving this morning!

Saint's and Sinners staff


Fabulous run!

Here's the geeky stats and some more photos at the end of the blog, Most photos I have poached for Ka, I hope he don't mind!  I have sent him a kind message asking for permission!



Heleana third from left, unofficial S & S staff!

Horrid Hill

really horrid hill

Just arrived at the cafe

Still waiting for tea and cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment