Sunday 3 April 2016

Sunday Solo!

Hello Blog lovers.

It's been quite a while since I ran with me, myself and I!  And I quite enjoyed it!  Wasn't quite sure how far I was going to run, or what pace I was going to do, whether I should push myself to go as fast as I could, or just plod out and keep my mojo happy!

I put on my marathon finishers top, just to psychologically giving me a boost, remind me of what I have achieved.  I put my music on, fortunately I had the foresight to charge it a few weeks ago, when I almost went out for a solo run, and I was ready.  I ran through my local park, my destination was Normans Park.  Maybe do a lap there, and then come home.  Usually when I run to Normans Park I run along Farringdon Avenue and then along Southborough Lane, but I started my run at the other end of my road, after chatting with my Big Son and the Old Man, they were busy working on a car.

I started out nice and slow, I hadn't done any warm up drills or anything like that, so the first 10 minutes or so is going to be my warm up. After that, well after that I was going to be just running!  I must say, it did feel so good to be out in the warmth of the sun, no one was running with me, I just had me to motivate.  The music was really helping as I started to sing along to the songs, I really started to feel that this was going to be the end of the running solo drought!

I got to the park and thought that maybe just do one lap and then run back home, that should be around 4 miles, Four miles is a nice start back to solo running, just a nice even number, running as fast or as slow as I want, taking a break when I wanted.  Yes, one lap of the park should do it.  I started down the Long Straight of the the park, and just focused on bins, trees and buildings to get to before I even thought about stopping for a walk.  Once back to running I kept seeing that I was running under 11 minute mileing!  I didn't want to run that fast, I would be totally knackered, but when I looked at my Garmin again it was to a pace that I could cope with mentally.

I saw plenty of people out with their kids, dogs hubbys and wives.  Some were on bikes others were running together.  When I got to the top, between the play park and Hayes Lane car park a family of three must have just started their stint around the park.  The mum and son were running, and the dad on a scooter (maybe not running because of injury).  I was running towards them and then were running towards me, the son just seem to fly by and the mum looked totally zoned in to keep up with him,  she was only about  2 seconds behind him.  I carried on with my lap, half way through the run through the park now, and I was really enjoying it.  I walked when I needed, and didn't beat myself up about it.  I was doing some good quality running rather than quantity of running.

I had almost run around the entire park when I saw the family again.  This time the son was about 10-20 seconds in front of his mum,  "He's way a head of you!" I said with a smile, she beamed a smile at me "I know" she said.  But because of that little encounter I felt inspired to do another lap! I won't be going home when I get to the gate, I shall run around one more time!  So I started on my second lap around the park.

When I got to the top of the park I could see the family just at the gate of the car park, running little lengths as a cool down.  It was good to see that they were doing the cool downs.  So many don't do it, even I don't do it all the time, and I do notice it the next morning!  With a smile to the family I ran down the other long straight of the park, this time I will be going home.  I felt pleased with myself for doing the second lap!

Just one encounter with an adorable puppy that stopped me in my tracks.  She must have heard me as I ran up behind them and waited for me to come and say hello!  How can I not stop and pet her.  She jumped up and cuddle my hand!  I think she was a Labrador pup, but she was a welcome distraction for just a few seconds.

The last mile to do and I was feeling good for getting out running today.  Everything seemed to be perfect, the weather the time, the fact that I wasn't cooking dinner.  It was just a running morning.  It was the fastest time for this pace, but I am not going to worry (to much) about speed, I was just feeling blimmin marvellous that I had got out and ran over 5 miles solo!

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment