Thursday 2 June 2016

Thursday's Shenanigans!

Hello blog lovers!

After feeling pretty under par over the past couple of days, totally due to over indulgence, (I think, not that I am a doctor!) I didn't even do group 1 running this week!  My bad! But today, feeling a lot better, it's a two session day!  And boy does it need to be!

So session one was group 1 running, there were five of us.  DiscoRich's group were meeting and running somewhere else, although he came along to the rec to pick up any who couldn't make it Hook Farm Road.  My route is going to be the cinder path.  The rain yesterday was creating rivers along our roads I can only imagine it would have made quagmire in the woods, and I really wanted to have a good run.

With me today was Janet, Diane David and Tracey.  It's going to be fun!  We ran out of the gate and turned right and then right again, up Kingsway.  It was only once we got to the top of this that I realised, when I head for the Cinder Path I usually go straight down and then along Tudor way!  A quick review and we ran along past the pub instead and then right down Tudor after that.  

Along this Cinder path there has been this 'bug bear' niggle little thing that always get me annoyed at myself. I want to run the whole way, from the beginning to the end. From the moment we pass the gate till the moment we step onto the road to do the loop.  That's what I want to do.  I ALWAYS start walking that this one particular spot, It's just after the new twiddly bit (It's actually been a couple of years since they re-routed the path) and I seem to give up running there.  But this time I had it in my mind, "It's not that far Old Girl" I thought "Just keep on going don't stop, you know it's just a few seconds away now"  I kept going, this time I kept going, I knew that Janet was being looked after and there were three of them behind me, but I kept running, with Diane all the way.  Totally focused.  I could see the road up ahead, I almost broke into a smile but I didn't want to 'jinx' things, and just ran up along the grass to the road! Done it!! Yes!! Pleased with that.

The others joined us, everyone of us had ran the whole length of the path.  Well, I knew David, Diane and Tracy could do it, but I know me and Janet haven't done it before!  Was good to finally put that little 'bug bear' to bed!  Now I need to keep the faith, that I can do it, have done, and will do it again! 

David came up with a suggestion for the next bit.  It's the little loop around the pretty houses.  We will do the 'train run'  We all run single file, then the person at the back sprints up to the front and then runs at their usual pace, as soon as they are in the front the person is at the back then runs up to be at the front, and so on and so forth.  "Well, this should be interesting" was mine and Janet's thought, as we are the slowest runners out of us all! I took the lead, so at least that way. its our pace at first, she just needs to sprint to me then keep her pace slow again.

The little loop is a loop of two halves.  The the first half, is down hill and then, yes you guessed it, the  second half is up!  We decided, me and Janet that is, that we will do 'the train' until it starts to go up again!  But in actually fact, we kept going, and going.  Ok so we didn't complete the whole of the train ride till we got back to the beginning but we kept on running until we did.  This run really has been a little gem for me and Janet, and I am sure the others are enjoying it just as much!

We continued our way back the we came, after have a little rest and a geography lesson for Diane to try and help her figure out were we are!  I had no expectations of running the whole length back again, but if it it happened then I would be thrilled.  I was at the back this time, Diane and Tracy were in the front and me and Janet were running along with David bring up the rear.  We ran most of the way back, as far as the paddocks.  I felt I could have gone on but the others had stopped, and I had no will power to tell them to 'come on, keep running!"  We walked for a while and then continued to run all the way to the end.  We crossed of the road and ran to Ryecroft road, and headed back to the rec.  We covered nearly 4 miles today!  A blrmmin good run! Most enjoyable!

Geeky stats.

Thursday Strength and Conditioning

I was a little late in getting there, tried to find parking in the car park, (there wasn't any) and eventually got there just as the group and finished the warm up laps!  I thought maybe I had got away with not doing the but DiscoRich sent us (I wasn't the only one late)  around for just one lap to warm up.  Of course then it was into the warm up drills to really warm up our muscles. 

DiscoRich had laid out some cones on the green and his speed training today was to run a straight line, then turn and run for a little bit before turning again and coming back to the rest of the group.  We were paired up, I was paired with ZippySherry's eldest daughter.  You just know sHe is going to be fast, "Are you a fast runner?" I said to her She just shrugged her shoulders.  I think being ZippySherry's daughter she is bound to be fast, plus the fact that she is young, fit, she is going to fly past me.

When it came to our turn I was right!  But at least she kept me trying to keep up with her.  Next after that it was our core training session.  Because of the rain DiscoRich was kind to us, not making us lay on the damp grass doing planks and push ups.  Oh no, he is good to us.  He had us doing planks on the concrete pavement slabs instead!!  We had to hold for 35 seconds this week.  I feel a patten coming on!  I feel next week it will be for 40 seconds!

We did some push ups while still on the slabs before transferring to the grass for some lunges and squats.  After that it was the relay races, the parlufs.  Always a favourite of everyone.  For 15 minutes we had to do as many circuits as a team as we could.  I feel sure that we complete at least 5, at least!

Just the cool down stretches to do after that.  All of us having had a great time, we always grunt and groan.  But we do it with affection to our leader and ourselves.  It really is great fun, as great fun as track is!  It's all about what you put into each exercise!  Love it!

I let my Garmin run, just to check on the old heart rate and see how much in the aerobic zone I get, I do like my numbers.  It was a great session.  And I am glad that I am feeling better.  I just need to keep going now.

Here's the numbers, the graphs show that I at least did as I was told!



No comments:

Post a Comment