Saturday 21 January 2017

Saturday Park Run - Mile Stone!

Hello blog lovers.

Yes, it's finally here, it's taken since 2011 to get to this!  Can you believe it's taken this long!  But it's finally here!  My 50th parkrun!  I am quite excited about it!  I have told all my friends and all who would listen at Petts Wood Runners that it's my 50th!  It's a big thing these miles stones for us in our running club!  Steve is doing his 100th!  Cake, cake and more cake!  That's why we run and keep on running!

I had to defrost the car this morning!  I was there, scratching away at the frosty windows, in my run pants, thinking "What am I doing?"  It was so cold, I had to make sure I was out early enough so that I could scrape the frost off!  The smile was on my face as I scrapped each window, the engine running with the heaters trying to lift the temperature inside the car from Antarctic to fridge temperate! I wasn't sure if in fact the smile was a grimace!  Eventually the car was drivable and I started off for the park.

I was there with plenty of time, I thought I was the first to be at the car park!  I should have realised that the ladies are way more organised than me!  J.J., LittlyJ, and K were there already!  Not only that but they had cake with them!  Pictures to follow!  We made our way over to the pavillion to put the cake down and use the ladies!  Then we walked back over to where the start will be, by the log pile.....which is no longer there, but we still know that that is where it was!  I met up with some other PWR's and Gary too!  SingstarJo was there, Diane, Nicola and just so many others too!  Auriol was there too, though not running as she still recovering from injury.

We had the briefing for the new comers, and then the announcements for the parkrun milestones!  My name was read out!  It surprised me really, because I had forgotten to let the RD know!  But as I have said, my friends are super efficient and let him know!  Steves name was read out too and we both got a cheer from our fellow PWR's and friends!

And so the run begins.  My 50th!  It's amazing that it's taken this long to get here.  Looking at my parkrun stats I can see that it has only been in 2016 that I have done the most runs!  In 2011 and 2012 I can almost count the amount of runs on one hand!  It has taken me this long to realise that I actually love parkrun!  I mean, really love parkrun!  It really is such a wonderful atmosphere, such a wonderful friendly weekly, FREE event!  Every week! Unless it's to darn icy, as last week was! Over six hundred people running!  Can you imagine if one person at the front slips on the ice, it would be like dominoes!  So the parkrun community really look after us all, just like one big family! I did more parkruns last year than all of the previous years!  And that was including the time outs for the two beginners group that we did as well!  I intend to do just as much, hopefully even more this year!

We were all running together, me, J.J. LittleJ, K, SingstarJo and Tracy.  Just plodding out nice a easy along the long straight!  It's the winter route, so it's three times down the long straight.  to me that is three laps, but it's actually 2 and half more or less.  I was a bit cold, even though I was nicely wrapped up.  I had three layers on, my long sleeve top, running jacket and also my fleece!  I thought I might leave my fleece in the bucket if I get too warm, but that first long straight I was thinking that I wouldn't be taking off any layers!

J.J. and LittleJ were running in front of me, K and Tracy were behind.  They will be running at their own pace! SingstarJo was running beside me.  I was going to try and stay with the two girls in front, but they have their own pace going on too.  I should be able to keep up with them, I should be able to run along beside them chatting, but I am not!  I should start listening to what I tell the beginners and to Tracy!  But the last thing I want today is to feel like I did in August last year, pushing hard to get a good time for my club G.P. and I was puking and farting as I was heading up the funnel!

I slowed down a bit, I even took out my camera and started filming a little bit.  I shall see if I can get it on here!

There that should do it!  For the next couple of times up the long straight SingstarJo ran beside me, encouraging me to keep on going, chatting, listening!  It was really good.  I just knew I wouldn't be getting a PB on this run, not today!  But as Ralph said after our run "PB's on milestone runs are an elusive thing to get"  I kept thinking about cake at the end, LittleJ's mum had made it and LittleJ had iced it!  From what I've heard about her cakes they are extremely popular and most tasty!  I don't actually eat fruit cake, but I do eat the icing on top!

With the last little bit of my 50th parkrun to do I ran towards the funnel.  Do I have enough for a little sprint finish.....yeah! Of course I do!  I sprinted off, SingstarJo let me have 'the field' as I took off with only the funnel being my prime thought. PB or not, I am still going to finish in style!  So of the speedy PWR's were there to cheer me on, J.J. LittleJ were there with Diane cheering me in! It was just so good!  I want to do it all again!!!  I shall have to wait until I do my 100th!  I will try and make sure it won't take as long!

My time for my 50th parkrun is 38:31.  Not speedy!  It's something that I am going to work on.....again...this year!

Geeky stats.





No comments:

Post a Comment