Sunday 5 March 2017

Lazy Sunny Sunday Afternoon!

Hello blog lovers!

Ok, so the title of todays blog is a bit misleading, in fact is a down and out lie!  I wouldn't call 9 miles lazy, would you?  But that's what I did today.  Nine miles with NaggyNeighbour.  I will be trying my hardest to do as well as I could.  Naggy will be trying her hardest to run slow! She was running with me today as her short slow one!  Yesterday Naggy ran just over 19 miles, training for her fabulous epic run around the Isle of Wight.....I know, right!  But there you go.  But she said she would come with me today to keep me company!

When I woke up this morning the rain was coming down!  Not very inspiring to go out in that!  I was glad that I had church to go too, maybe by the time it had finished then it would have stopped raining too!  I had arranged to meet up with Naggy around 1 ish, so that gave her plenty of time to make sure her Houdini dog don't escape again!

You can imagine my relief when I came out of church and the sun was almost shining, and it felt remarkable warm for the time of year.  I came back and got my self ready for my run.  I didn't quite know the distance of the route that I had planned, I guestimated that it was between 9 and 10 miles.  I was thinking that would be plenty for today.  So when I told Naggy about it she was slightly doubtful that we would make it 9, maybe 8!  But I didn't mind that, it's still a step up from the 7 miles I have got up to so far.

We set off towards the ally, the one that takes us to Turnaround Lamppost, but we were taking the path that goes through the gate half way up there, passed the park.  I must tell this, she was running at  a pace, a nice warm up pace....for her, but for me it was the pace that I wanted to get to AFTER I warmed up! I kept up mostly with her, and we got to the other side of the park and started to run along towards the A21, that dreaded road that I loathe.  Thankfully, though, we turned right towards Bromley.  The second of our park spaces that we are running through, Normans Park.  It will be twice around there before running to the next one!  While we were running around I saw one of our PWR's running around, this is PWR's local after all!  It seems strange talking about local in park terms and not public houses! How times have changed!

That was a tough one, we had the wind in our face as we ran down the long straight! I did walk on that first lap I walked.  But then NaggyNeighbour does what she does best, when we were running down the short straights (it's the bit that takes us to the funnel on parkrun days) Naggy said "Ok, so we want to do about 9 miles, you are going to have to run from this bench" as she pointed to the bench about 50 feet away,  "all the way round non stop" She said, so that's just over a mile!  After I have already done about 3, "It will take us to half way point" she said, still encouraging me.  "Ok, I can do this" I think I said the last bit in my head! But at least I said it, I heard it, I knew I said it, I will run around this lap non stop!  So as we walked up to the bench I took a deep energising breath and started to run.  All I had to do was to run 1 mile and then I can have a walk, forget about what I have done so far, from this moment it's all about this mile!  That was what was going on in my mind!

I passed by a couple of runners, I did try to smile, and I passed by our PWR club member, and I think I gave him a smile too....I think!  I just looked at every piece of park furniture to run too, every building to run to and just tried to get around the park bit by bit without stopping!  I did it, I flippin did it!  I know it's not a big deal to most people but for me, feeling like I was and running that mile I felt good.  So now our sights were set on our third park, Whitehall Rec.  It's a smaller park and the exit is the opposite side to our entrance!  But I still wanted to run around here twice, which means that actually we run around 2 and half times!  That was tough too!  In fact running is tough, "No one said running is easy" said Naggy to me today!  I did actually say to the beginners yesterday, that the first minute was easy!  I must remember not to use that word!  Sometimes we all need to go out running with a faster running buddy just to remind ourselves of how hard running is!  Whether its for a minute or for a mile at a time!  It's hard, and what I need to remember is that it don't get easier you can just run further before you 'think' you can run anymore!  Naggy had another challenge for me, from the top right corner, by the bin we will run all the way around, back to the bin and then all the way around to the top left corner to where the gate was!  To be it seemed so not doable, but Naggy knew it was.  So we walked to the bin and then started the run!  I managed to run that loop of the park, I started down to the corner where we came in, the bottom left, and I was so annoyed, I talk a brief walk here!  So annoyed with myself.  I told myself off and started running again after just a few seconds, and then again, I took another one before I actually got to the gate!  Oh well!  Keep on running!

We took a walk as we came out of the park to the crossroad and then started running again once we crossed over.  We were heading towards Blackbrook lane, and our forth park space!  I was really beginning to tire by then, I was thinking of maybe just running down BlackBrook lane and back through my nearest local park, Parkfield rec.  But I put that though out of my head.  Jubilee park it is!  I followed dutifully after Naggy as she chatted the whole way "That's it, keep on going, you're doing really well" she said.  I didn't feel like I was doing well, but I knew it wasn't long now before we were nearly finished!

We got through the park quicker than the others, mainly because we were running straight though it, no running around a loop first.  We kept on going all through through to the road, I think I did actually take a sneaky walk before we got there.  I saw Naggy then turn left to go into Petts Wood itself, I had thought about going right and doing it a little shorter, but I had no energy to call after her so I followed.  I was really thirsty now, I think now is the time to start bring water with me, after about 7 miles I did start getting a bit thirsty.  The pub was just along the high street, I think I will pop into there to get a drink of water!  Thankfully they have it all ready for use, nicely chilled and with added fresh lemons!  It felt so good!

We continued on our run, homeward bound now all the way home.  I ran, I walked, I ran.  Then we were onto the road that I dare not stop, Farringdon Avenue!  No stopping now, this is my challenge to myself, this bit of the road is where I will not stop running until I get home!  We did, and it wasn't 8 miles it was just over nine miles!! I am very pleased with that.  We popped into my house for a nice cuppa!  Wonderful, blimmin needed that cuppa and the one 2 minutes after I finished that one too!

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment