Tuesday 18 April 2017

Running Off The 'Food Baby'

Hello blog lovers.

I had a bit of a break this weekend.  I stuffed my face silly this weekend, my belly seems to be holding a food baby inside!  I was with the Old boy and we went sampling a good few of the restaurents the New Forest and Burton Bradstock area had to offer!  It started on Thursday evening actually!  I haven't even written up my blog about my Thursday morning run yet, but I will get around to that soon!  But this evening is all about group 1 run today!  And for the second time this year I was sweeper!  Charley was doing her debut leading in group 1 this evening! She had a big group, 15 of us to lead!  LittleJ was there, Carole and Michael, Ruth and others plus a newbie too, a young man called Andrew!

For the second time this year I turn up to the rec with not a clue as to where we were going to go.  Well, actually, I could see Mr. S's route, but Charley's route seem to want to stay hidden from me!  I was looking forward to it though.  I was going to be sweep, at the back encouraging who ever will be there.  It was Tracy and Kay actually.  Just like the old days in the old group 1 days when I used to sweep for IllustriousLeader!  Those were the days!  Dear Tracy though looked horrified!  I am sure I am not that bad.  We haven't been out for a Wednesday run for a while, she must be missing my nagging!  It was a look of happiness that I would be running at the back today, that's what the was!

Charley gave out the route and mentioned the 'H' word!  Well, if you gonna make an entrance into the leaders club then make it a good un!  I still didn't quite hear where the route was, but I was still quite happy about that, I nice surprise, and I could concentrate on helping the back runners to stay on pace, to keep going and to not give in.  We are went to our respective posts had the usual count up and then we were off!  I almost forgot to start my Garmin as I was just totally relaxed about this evenings run.

We ran out of the gate and then turned right, we were running along to Petts Wood Road and then turning left. Charley had told me the week before some of the route, but I didn't really take it all in, I prefer to actually look at the map so as I can see it.  Names of streets and roads don't usually help me to know where she was talking about.  But I do recall that she said something about 'square bit' with a possible short cut for those who didn't want to do the square.  I still couldn't quite figure out where about she had this 'square bit' of her route would be.

We ran along to St Johns Road and then turned left!  Oh my goodness, our Leader CharleyBear (her new nickname!) She make look like a cute smiley young lady, but her first lead is taking us up Cardiac Hill, which can turn most of us into grizzlers as we try and run it!  Tracy had no idea where we were, but K did.  "You know that name of this hill?" I said but K said, "Shhh, tell her after"  I agreed with her!  The road started to rise "More hills' Tracy said!  She hasn't seen the one that is just around the corner!  We'll let that one be a surprise for her!

Well, it was that all right! She didn't look at all pleased, in fact she looked towards me as if to say that actually I am not that bad nagging after all!  Cardiac Hill, on your first lead, now that's class there!  She did say that she had not idea, not when she plotted it out on mapmyrun!  She said that it didn't really show the elevations too well!  Mind you, sometimes when you look at the elevation it puts you off when in actual fact it's not half as bad as you thought looks!  Well, that's what I keep telling myself!  And besides, it looks good on your geeky stats if there is an incline or two there!

Tracy really tried to attach the hill,  she seem to just want to get up it as fast as possible!  The main body of the group had all ready gone up it, it was just down to me, K and Tracy to flatten the hill!  I was so impressed with Tracy and K as they just inched their way up there, no stopping, and then Tracy changed gear and started to go faster up it!  Fantastic effort!  K got up there too and was congratulating Tracy among the cheers from the others that were waiting.

We continued along the road till we got to the roundabout at Poverest/Petts Wood road.  Now I know what 'square bit' CharleyBear was talking about!  It's our Hill training hill!  But we were heading down it instead, well, everyone else was, but me, K, Tracy and Charley bear were going to go straight along and then meet them at the other end.  We got there quite quickly actually, and we had to run along the road towards them and then did a quick U Turn to run back.

From there it was running down Kingsway, to the left to follow the road to Crossways and then back into the rec!  A great route from Charley, and now I know that we can get Cardiac Hill into a 3 mile run, with little short cut for those not wanting to do the 'square bit'.  Her debut runleader, earning her a nickname, not bad Charleybear, not bad!

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment